baumer

A Look at The Biggest Box Office Stories from 1972-present (THABOS: The History of Amazing Box Office Stories) | IT'S FINALLY COMPLETE!!!!!!!

I swear you guys must be in my brain LOL because  if  I hadn't of gotten any requests the three movies I would have done  outside the top 10 for 1999 were American Beauty which is my 5th favorite film of all time, Notting Hill which I actually saw  by myself on my wedding day  3 hours before I was getting married, and American Pie which is among the best teen movie out there and certainly the best teen movie out there post 80s. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I swear you guys must be in my brain LOL because  if  I hadn't of gotten any requests the three movies I would have done  outside the top 10 for 1999 were American Beauty which is my 5th favorite film of all time, Notting Hill which I actually saw  by myself on my wedding day  3 hours before I was getting married, and American Pie which is among the best teen movie out there and certainly the best teen movie out there post 80s. 

Alright then...how about Wild Wild West? It has a hint of infamy attached to it for its commercial and critical failure, in spite of everything seeming like it would be one of the biggest hits of the year.

No, we have our three. :)

And as much as I like Fight Club, it's not really relevant in this thread.  This is more about the big box office stories of the years past.  Fight Club unfortunately didn't make a dent in the box office.

1 minute ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

Going back to 1998 for a moment: I used to be one of the people angry that SPR didn't win, but I've swung around -- it's more fun to just watch the pro-SPR crowd yell. 

Besides, it's not even the best WWII movie released that year. :) 

Agreed. Life is Beautiful is a modern-day masterpiece.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

Going back to 1998 for a moment: I used to be one of the people angry that SPR didn't win, but I've swung around -- it's more fun to just watch the pro-SPR crowd yell. 

The Thin Red Line is my favorite movie of 1998.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1998 was one of the first years as a child where I remember really getting into film. Of course I saw a lot of the kids / families film around that time like A Bug's Life, Antz, Mulan etc... but then I really started getting into a lot of older not for my age type of films. I really remember really enjoying The Truman Show, The Mask of Zorro, You Got Mail etc... growing up. I wasn't old enough to see SPR though, for obvious reasons. 

Edited by Fancyarcher

5 hours ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

Lol....Thin Red Line is pretty bad. :)

• Like 1

On 8/9/2017 at 8:24 PM, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

No, we have our three. :)

And as much as I like Fight Club, it's not really relevant in this thread.  This is more about the big box office stories of the years past.  Fight Club unfortunately didn't make a dent in the box office.

Fox screwed that up with marketing it during WWF which upset Fincher. And the multiple release date changes that had the "columbine-effect."

3 hours ago, BOOYAH SUCKAS said:

I really wanted to suggest Bowfinger (1999) but I guess I missed it

I appreciate all the suggestions but like I have said many times, there's probably 100 or more movies that could be covered.  Every one of them has a story.  But it's tough to get to all of them so 3 outside the top ten is my limit. :)

1 hour ago, BOOYAH SUCKAS said:

I really wanted to suggest Bowfinger (1999) but I guess I missed it

Bowfinger had a fun premise, and Steve Martin and Eddie Murphy did a good job. But the film didn't do blockbuster numbers, although it did outgross Murphy's dud Life, and was profitable. 

1 hour ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I appreciate all the suggestions but like I have said many times, there's probably 100 or more movies that could be covered.  Every one of them has a story.  But it's tough to get to all of them so 3 outside the top ten is my limit. :)

I think we understand Baumer. You wanna focus on the years biggest hits & maybe a few disappointments as well. I think it's understandable, given what this thread series is about, and you can't do every film as a result, but the write-ups you do, have generally been fantastic & awesome to read.

Edited by Fancyarcher

19 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

1998 was one of the first years as a child where I remember really getting into film. Of course I saw a lot of the kids / families film around that time like A Bug's Life, Antz, Mulan etc... but then I really started getting into a lot of older not for my age type of films.

I was watching A Bug's Life again recently and it never fully dawned on me now until now just how complex of a villain Kevin Spacey's Hopper really is. His big speech to the other grasshoppers ("It's not about food. It's about keeping those ants in line.") feels like it could easily be applied to other groups of people that actually exist. That awkward moment a cartoon aimed at kids has more to say about the world than most movies aimed at mature crowds.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I was watching A Bug's Life again recently and it never fully dawned on me now until now just how complex of a villain Kevin Spacey's Hopper really is. His big speech to the other grasshoppers ("It's not about food. It's about keeping those ants in line.") feels like it could easily be applied to other groups of people that actually exist. That awkward moment a cartoon aimed at kids has more to say about the world than most movies aimed at mature crowds.

Hopper's a great intimidating villain. Plus his death scene is downright disturbing in a lot of regards.

• Like 1