trifle

WGA authorizes strike with 96% vote | tentative agreement reached at 1am PDT

10 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

New Mutants final draft is ready I think. Deadpool 2 may have a lot of improvisation from Reynolds and co. so it will probably make its date too. Don't see Dark Phoenix making its 2018 date unless Kinberg gets to direct and write. But I assume WGA would not be cool with him writing even if he gets the director's job? 

New Mutants and Deadpool 2 will be fine, I believe. I'm 99% sure the New Mutants script is done and the Deadpool 2 one well they've gone through several drafts so I would assume they'd have something to work with but the question then becomes is how much creative control is Fox going to give Reynolds and co to improvise/add to the drafts that they already have. Dark Phoenix is done....I don't see it coming out in time. Kinberg isn't going to be an asshole and write the movie just because he's directed it. 

I actually wouldnt be shocked if Fox moves Deadpool all the way to November and gives it Dark Phoenix's release date. Just to at least have some space between their films. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Everything that's now shooting is fine as far as the movie side is concerned. It's everything that hasn't begun shooting yet along with everything on the TV side that's in trouble if this goes through.

All these projects will still be affected to some degree -- assuming the strike happens.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

All these projects will still be affected to some degree -- assuming the strike happens.

I was talking movies that are well along like Avengers: Infinity War. That's been shooting since January and is expected to wrap up in June or July, so I imagine that's pretty safe.

35 minutes ago, Nova said:

New Mutants and Deadpool 2 will be fine, I believe. I'm 99% sure the New Mutants script is done and the Deadpool 2 one well they've gone through several drafts so I would assume they'd have something to work with but the question then becomes is how much creative control is Fox going to give Reynolds and co to improvise/add to the drafts that they already have. Dark Phoenix is done....I don't see it coming out in time. Kinberg isn't going to be an asshole and write the movie just because he's directed it. 

I actually wouldnt be shocked if Fox moves Deadpool all the way to November and gives it Dark Phoenix's release date. Just to at least have some space between their films. 

I think Dark Phoenix will move to Memorial Day 2019.

19 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I was talking movies that are well along like Avengers: Infinity War. That's been shooting since January and is expected to wrap up in June or July, so I imagine that's pretty safe.

Movie like that usually get re-write/re-shoot and punched by writing room that will had those out of screen voice joke they tend to have.

• Like 2

Just now, Nova said:

That's probably where they should move it too regardless of whether there's a strike or not and move Deadpool 2 to November 2018. 

Mulan is set to come out that weekend though, even though I think it's likely to be delayed to 2019 considering they haven't even announced the cast yet (and Disney's live-action remakes usually begin filming a year and a half before their release date).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Mulan is set to come out that weekend though, even though I think it's likely to be delayed to 2019 considering they haven't even announced the cast yet (and Disney's live-action remakes usually begin filming a year and a half before their release date).

Mulan will be aimed at kids. Deadpool 2 would bring in a completely different audience since it's most likely going to retain the R rating.

Edited by NoobSaibot
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Mulan is aimed at kids but even then if im

Fox i would be more worried about competition that's in June of 2018 than Mulan opening the same weekend as Deadpool 2. Mulan is more likely to have a run closer to Cinderella (if that) than let's say BATB but like you said they haven't done casting or anything so who knows if it's still going to be released then. 

I'm just worried about muh Godziller.

It's been pushed back once already. I don't want to wait until 2020 to see Godzilla, King Ghidorah, Rodan, and Mothra on the big screen. But I don't even know if the script for Godzilla: King of the Monsters is even finished. Dougherty has been tight-lipped.

Edited by NoobSaibot

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It all depends on how long the strike lasts. If it's just a few weeks the damage will be minimal.

Knowing how long previous strikes have lasted, I expect the strike to last months.

Edited by NoobSaibot

34 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Poor @Tele Came Back he keeps having to repeat himself cause no one is listening....

Striking is bad for everyone but the fat cat executives. Horrible that it has needed to come to this. 

I doubt that (or they are really good people to just not let them strike forever), all those fat cat have stock options are other performance incentive and some of the best jobs of the world that they loose very easily, they will be hurt by a strike that impact the bottom line (but also hurt by a deal that cost them more than the said strike would), thus the negotiation).

Striking is an effective pressure strategy because it is bad for the owners and executives.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

Striking is bad for the execs because it further kills the ratings of a lot of "bundled" cable channels that logically shouldn't exist because they struggle to get over 1 mil viewers. Having original programming was basically an attempt to keep them afloat with "marginally rated but buzzy" stuff like Bates Motel. All this does is speed up the death of the cable bundle model if it continues.

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

Why has business news been so quiet on this story? No one cares so far. The media stocks are doing great today. 

A lot of movies are already in the can. TV will be hit much harder. Also cord cutting is killing many of the networks that will be most affected, just at a slower rate than this will do.