kayumanggi

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR | 1369.5 M overseas ● 2048.4 M worldwide

Titanic is the best box office run of all time. Films passing it now is like "oh, wow, finally."

Holy shit IW. Passed everyone of my expectations, both domestic and overseas. And i think part 2 will increase. If Capt marvel comes with a post credit sceme related to it, CM above one billion too.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I am sorry, but to compare Titanic and Infinity War runs with unadjusted dollars is absurd. Titanic is the biggest run ever BY FAR. There is not contest about that, even with the bigger competition. What Titanic did was surreal.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Another competition argument that sound convincing yet so flawed, and contradict to the result, if your lack of competition theory was so powerful, the worldwide chart will be full of 80s, 90s movie. But if you look at top 50 movie of all time, the prevailing movie are all 2000s, you can even barely find pre-2010 movie in top 10 chart.

The LACK OF COMPETITION, INTERNET theory has FAILED, a total failure in explaining why unadjusted/nominal box office chart are full of 2000s movie. Please give a reasonable argument to explain that if 80s, 90s movie are really that powerful when there is no internet, no competition, they still failed to land on the top of chart.

Only one explanation here, the inflation and expansion of overseas market have totally wiped out, the so-called, lack of competition, no much blockbuster, or internet privacy, that put older movie in advantage.  

I don’t see how it’s flawed. It’s basic logic. If there’s 2-3 blockbusters per year people are going to end up watching them.  Titanic was obviously a huge smash and bigger than its contemporary blockbusters - hence why it’s still near the top even after all the inflation. However it had a much easier time since again the lack of competion. It also benefited from the 3D fad by being re-released lol. It had so much privilege to get to 2 billion.

Either way its simple logic. If we are gonna adjust for inflation GOne with the wind is the biggest movie of all time. Guess why? It was re-released like 7 times and had even more privilege than titanic with lack of competition and no internet. It didn’t even have a home video release.  The only way to watch it was in the cinema.  

Infinty War already stomped on titanic. Rip it had a good run. 

19 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Black Panther $700m domestically is the most mysterious achievement of all time, how can a stand-alone, B class superhero destroy mega-assembly of marvel's superhero?

I do wish Titanic can linger few more years, as long as possible on the 2nd worldwide. It's been 8 years....I hope it can challenge A new hope as the longest standing 2nd place of worldwide(from 1983-1993) 

I think the climate in the US had a lot to do with it. That with a good movie, great cast and a relevant theme. BP did insane buisiness DOM (Also OS but not as impressive). I never thought it would do $500m let alone $700m, one of the greatest break-outs ever.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, peludo said:

I am sorry, but to compare Titanic and Infinity War runs with unadjusted dollars is absurd. Titanic is the biggest run ever BY FAR. There is not contest about that, even with the bigger competition. What Titanic did was surreal.

Yeah because it was released at a time where people had to pay and see the movie. That’s MY point. It benefited so much from the lack of completion and internet.  Infinty War is more impressive when all things are considered. 

6 minutes ago, peludo said:

Easily. Titanic created the 100% unbreakable records for 8th to 12th weekends

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/moreweekends.htm?page=12&p=.htm

12th weekend $17,605,849 more than double the 2nd place!

No film will break that record in our lifetimes, and that's unadjusted.

• Like 2

Infinty war a movie with 30+ characters and a storyline that relies on the fact that the audiences have seen the previous 18 installment vs Titanic a sappy love story for the simple minded soccer mom who can’t be bothered to keep up with complex storylines. 

In this regard infinity War had even a greater challenge to get people to show up!    

5 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

Easily. Titanic created the 100% unbreakable records for 8th to 12th weekends

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/moreweekends.htm?page=12&p=.htm

12th weekend $17,605,849 more than double the 2nd place!

No film will break that record in our lifetimes, and that's unadjusted.

Because no one showed up for it opening weekend. The movie industry works different now. Everything is more frontloaded.  

2 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Infinty war a movie with 30+ characters and a storyline that relies on the fact that the audiences have seen the previous 18 installment vs Titanic a sappy love story for the simple minded soccer mom who can’t be bothered to keep up with complex storylines. 

In this regard infinity War had even a greater challenge to get people to show up!    

Doing double of previous record holder vs coming third. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

I don’t see how it’s flawed. It’s basic logic. If there’s 2-3 blockbusters per year people are going to end up watching them.  Titanic was obviously a huge smash and bigger than its contemporary blockbusters - hence why it’s still near the top even after all the inflation. However it had a much easier time since again the lack of competion. It also benefited from the 3D fad by being re-released lol. It had so much privilege to get to 2 billion.

Either way its simple logic. If we are gonna adjust for inflation GOne with the wind is the biggest movie of all time. Guess why? It was re-released like 7 times and had even more privilege than titanic with lack of competition and no internet. It didn’t even have a home video release.  The only way to watch it was in the cinema.  

Infinty War already stomped on titanic. Rip it had a good run. 

It's so flawed that you don't even acknowledge the flaw.

Don't put adjusted inflation chart in the game, I do admit that competition and no internet piracy put older generation film in advantage, that explain why the admission chart are full of older generation movie. And adjusted inflation game really put modern movie in structurally disadvantage position. 

When two opposite force that in act, let just look at nominal gross, so that whatever inflation effect, china effect and internet piracy effect are cancelled out.  

Please explain why there is only 3-4 movie form 90s, Titanic , SW1, TLK and Jurassic park stayed in the all time top 50 when they had so little competition and like you said , no internet piracy. By your theory, there should put more movies coming from no internet era, no competition era in the top 50. 

Titanic did benefited from 3D release,  but so too IW, and SW7 and every modern blockbuster, I am pretty sure it's a fair game still......

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Yeah because it was released at a time where people had to pay and see the movie. That’s MY point. It benefited so much from the lack of completion and internet.  Infinty War is more impressive when all things are considered. 

Titanic did it with prices half than today, without the expansion of Asia and Latin America and without 3D (at least the 1.8b of the orignal run). I get the point of competition and internet, but not with such a huge difference. Even Avatar pales in comparison in terms of attendance.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Infinity war had one big advantage over Titanic, it's a 10 years build-up, which high pre-existing knowledge or familiarity or certain degree of nostalgic factor that easier to be marketed.

While Titanic, being an original IP, i don't see why it make it simpler to market than IW. Let call a tie, but certainly not simpler. Just ask anyone from marketing team in hollywood studio, I bet they all will agree that Titanic is harder to sell.

Your argument is full of slippery slope fallacy that merely suggest something on no ground like someone can't be bothered to keep up with complex reasoning.  

No one would discount IW's achievement, it's something so clear, and people feel so much the hype. But none of those hype are strong enough to disdain Titanic's legacy. 

44 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

GwtW was released 7 times... before even Jaws came out in 1975 :D And the film wasn't available anywhere till the TV premiere in 1976. :P Than it was re-release another 2 times, in 1989 and 1998. In term of the original run, GwtW probably wouldn't be even in Top5 of the biggest domestic movies of all time. Titanic would've been in Top3, maybe Top1. :D 

The argument about lack of competition in 1998 is an absurd. There was no competition, because Titanic destroyed all the movies, and nothing could break out. People talked only about Titanic! :) 

But end this off-topic. IW is a huge blockbuster. Comparing it to Titanic is just stupid. Different times, different event movies. It's great on its own. :) 

Edited by Juby
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, pepsa said:

Didn't know this was the SW thread :jeb!:

No wonder this is the biggest OS thread for a movie, 1/3 bullshit, 1/3 unrelated arguments to IW and the final 1/3 is actually about IW

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

No wonder this is the biggest OS thread for a movie, 1/3 bullshit, 1/3 unrelated arguments to IW and the final 1/3 is actually about IW

Well if that the ratio we might actualy be happy. The last few month the actually about ratio is probably closer to 1/1bazilion. 😛

53 minutes ago, Juby said:

The second most mysterious... The first is $652 mln made by Jurassic World (basically a Syfy channel film with $150 mln budget and A-list star, nothing special in reviews and audience scores, nothing special in marketing, not even close to be an event as the first Jurassic Park was, and yet, almost as huge success as JP if we look at its adjusted number, also bigger than The Avengers). :P

And Star Wars was 2nd worldwide only for 9-10 years (Terminator 2 beat it somewhere in 1992 with $519.8 mln, SW made $513,040,132 before 1997 Special Edition). Titanic will top that next December.

Especially when you consider it did 1b OS without any warning.... I give you that, BP was the 2nd most.....

12 years in number 1, 10 years in number 2, I really doubt Avatar can hold that long as king! 

7 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

That is what happened when your movie make 2b WW, with nearly 1.4b from OS