grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

AMC doesn't even have rampage tickets available to purchase for previews or Friday. They had A quiet place and ready player one far in advance for purchase. Weird.

IW Greater Sacramento Area Seat Report: T-17 Days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Perct Sold

TOTALS

66.03%

Total Seats Sold:        93

---

226.19% more seats sold than Black Panther at same time.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2

Goddamn Infinity War is going to be MASSIVE :ohmygod:

I really, REALLY do feel TFA-level hype here I'm not kidding. This, TFA, and DH2 will go down as the 3 hyped movies of this decade.

Spoiler

and yes I mean Deathly Hallows 2 not tenor.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Goddamn Infinity War is going to be MASSIVE :ohmygod:

I really, REALLY do feel TFA-level hype here I'm not kidding. This, TFA, and DH2 will go down as the 3 hyped movies of this decade.

Reveal hidden contents

19 minutes ago, Porthos said:

IW Greater Sacramento Area Seat Report: T-17 Days and counting

226.19% more seats sold than Black Panther at same time.

BTW, this does say % more.   So another way to look at it is:  3.2619 times the tickets sold than BP at the same time (7346 vs 2252, FTR).

Might actually start writing it like that to lessen the possibility of confusion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

BTW, this does say % more.   So another way to look at it is:  3.2619 times the tickets sold than BP at the same time (7346 vs 2252, FTR).

Might actually start writing it like that to lessen the possibility of confusion.

Seems like this is really blowing out BP presales everywhere

Edited by FlashMaster659

8 minutes ago, Porthos said:

651M opening weekend confirmed

• Like 1

I realized deciding between 25-30 in previews is going to have to be something to consider separately when amounting to day-to-day strength.  

For example, 

consider 25 in previews or 35 in previews.  Either way it will still likely see a maximum 65 OD w/o previews.   

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Pulse:

1. A Quiet Place

2. Infinity War

3. Ready Player One

4. Blockers

5. Infinity War IMAX

Appreciate the update but...

why the hell are you doing pulse updates at 3AM on a weeknight???

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

About the last 34 hours (combined 3d, imax, etc... together), bolded yet to release, super troopers have been showing up for a long time now and does not slow down:

A Quiet Place 20652
Avengers Infinity War 12228
Blockers 5213
Tyler Perrys Acrimony 2162
Ready Player One 6546
Chappaquiddick 1685
Black Panther 2556
I Can Only Imagine 1486
Isle of Dogs 1315
Rampage 865
Sherlock Gnomes 624
The Miracle Season 619
Love, Simon 575
Pacific Rim Uprising (2018) 894
A Wrinkle in Time 557
Super Troopers 2 498
Paul, Apostle of Christ 410
Blumhouses Truth or Dare 458
Gods Not Dead A Light in Darkness 213
Grease 40th Anniversary 316
The Leisure Seeker 108
Tomb Raider (2018) 317
Walking dead 248
The Metropolitan Opera  213
The Death of Stalin 177
Game Night (2018) 186
Krishnarjuna Yudham 18
I Feel Pretty 63

• Like 5

https://pro.boxoffice.com/social-media-summer-buzz/

Our methodology here will be to look at three social media data points over the period of February 18–March 20 for all films opening between April 27 and August 31: the total number of tweets, the like increases for official Facebook pages, and the follower increases for official Instagram accounts.

One point to note here is that, in general, films opening sooner rather than later have much larger marketing spend—and therefore stronger social media returns as their release nears. Due to this fact, our results show a clear bias toward films opening in the first half of summer, and most July and August releases have not yet started their marketing campaigns in earnest.

There is little surprise that Avengers: Infinity War comes out on top among all other summer films. Its total tweets during our period of interest (1,834,836) and new Instagram followers (470,105) were strikingly more than all other summer wide releases combined. Its new Facebook likes (108,814) was second of all films, trailing just Overboard’s 161,497

The largely untapped box office potential of female-driven films continues to represent a big opportunity for major studios. Case in point: Ocean’s 8, with its female-led ensemble, occupies the second spot among all summer films in terms of social media tracking during our period of interest. The film’s ranking reveals a consistent finish on all three platforms—sixth on both Twitter and Instagram and ninth on Facebook. While it didn’t shine the brightest on social media, its even performance saw it eke out a slim lead ahead of other big-name films.

Fan favorite Deadpool 2 pulled down the third spot among all films, thanks largely to its very strong showing on Instagram with 121,127 new followers, good enough for second place among all summer openers. Its total Instagram followers stands at over 2 million, which is one of the largest for any film franchise overall, and second only to Solo: A Star Wars Story, which is using the official Star Wars account with just under 9 million followers.

Life of the Party was the fourth film in our matrix, with a consistent showing across all platforms. Results peaked with a sixth-place finish on Facebook with almost 11,000 new likes.

Uncle Drew, the Pepsi short film project turned feature film from NBA superstar Kyrie Irving, rounded out the top five with an inspired showing on Instagram and Twitter.

Solo: A Star Wars Story would have easily been in position No. 2 overall if not for its soft Facebook numbers. Given that the franchise Facebook page has almost 20 million likes in total, it’s safe to say that the skimpy increase in likes is not as significant as it would be for a film starting out with 100,000 likes. In other words, this shouldn’t be seen as a red flag: there is very little chance Solo won’t turn out to be a major hit.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom fell into the same boat as Solo, with weak Facebook numbers dragging down its overall position. It also opens more than three months from when this column is being written, so its campaign is still in its infancy.

Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again! rounded out the top 10, with its strongest showing on Twitter with a second-place finish. Little surprise that its Instagram numbers were on the low end since its target audience should skew older

Screen-Shot-2018-04-05-at-1.40.03-PM.png

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Super Troopers has a cult following and the sequel was crowd funded so not that surprising.

Rampage looking a little slow though....

Yeah since I follow this, I expect that title to be the most pre-sales heavy of them all, I expect low marketing for it and going on almost purely on it's fanbase.

For Rampage it look slow by moment and still out of the top 10, but it is almost doubling (188%) a pg-13 Universal Blumhouse entry and those usually open really well and are frontloaded. 

5 minutes ago, Alli said:

no MI-Fallout. I thought the trailer was good and effective. Guess not :(

The article mentions that this kind of social media studying is biased towards films that come out earlier in the summer, since their marketing campaigns are much more omnipresent. MI6 has a trailer, a Super Bowl spot, a featurette, a couple of posters, some Henry Cavill moustache memes, and that's it. It also doesn't help that it's skewing to old farts, which makes getting social media #s a lot harder.

• Like 2

Out of curiosity, what are the latest showtimes for thursday previews for Infinity War? 

Around me there are two 12:01am showtimes, most theaters right now have the last show starting around 11pm