grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

9 minutes ago, Lothar said:

How good is this compared to TLJ and Rogue One ???

Neither TLJ or R1 had to deal with a film projected to earn 110m - 130m that weekend when their tickets first went on sale so kinda irrelevant. :lol:

But for pure Pulse rating and nothing else, only difference is that it doesn't hold down the first four slots to itself.

We didn't have the level of Pulse automatic tracking then that we do now, so that's out the window.  Will have MT.com data to compare/contrast starting tomorrow morning, but, again, see prior comment at the beginning of the post. ;)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

(5/4/2018) Quick Glance at the Love Seat Recliner Theater for Thursday Night Solo:

7:00PM 18/50

7:30PM 14/78

8:00PM 5/78

8:30PM 0/50

9:00PM 0/50

9:30PM 0/50

37/356 (10.39%)

(5/4/2018) Quick Glance for DP2 Opening Thursday:

4:30PM 8/78 (Double Feature)

7:00PM 20/50

9:00PM 0/78

9:30PM 0/50

28/256 (10.93%)

Edited by captainwondyful
  • Thanks 1

On 4/26/2018 at 12:36 AM, CoolEric258 said:

Update

Avengers 3928 5088 77.20%
Deadpool 2 305 2042 14.94%

Deadpool 2 477 2042 23.36%
Solo 203 2034 9.98%

Deadpool still trucking along, Solo's doing pretty well for its first day (keep in mind, what I have here is the 4-Day)

• Like 2

We have some amazing spin from Fandango

http://deadline.com/2018/05/solo-a-star-wars-story-advance-ticket-sales-records-1202383121/

After owning the first half of May with Avengers: Infinity War, Disney will own the end of the month with Solo: A Star Wars Story. We reported yesterday that the Lucasfilm release is poised to make $170M over the Memorial Day four-day holiday, and now Fandango reports that Solo’s advance tickets sales in their first 24 hours have outstripped Black Panther‘s.

Solo‘s first 24 hours of sales so far represent one of 2018’s best first day of presales for Fandango, second only to Avengers: Infinity War (which went on sale on Fandango on March 16th).

On first read through, that sounds amazing for sure. Looking at the archives and numbers we were provided back when we had an inside source at a theater chain, these are the first 24 hours numbers:

Black Panther sold 1.2M in the first 24 hours

Infinity War was about 2M in the first 24 hours

Rogue One was 7M in the first 24 hours. 

If this ratio holds for the other theater chains, then Solo is probably around 1.5M or so, about a fifth of Rogue One sales.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 2
  • Disbelief 1

22 minutes ago, grim22 said:

http://deadline.com/2018/05/solo-a-star-wars-story-advance-ticket-sales-records-1202383121/

On first read through, that sounds amazing for sure. Looking at the archives and numbers we were provided back when we had an inside source at a theater chain, these are the first 24 hours numbers:

If this ratio holds for the other theater chains, then Solo is probably around 1.5M or so, about a fifth of Rogue One sales.

Something seems off there, though, as HR claims, that Solo sold double the number of tickets compared to Black Panther.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/solo-a-star-wars-story-is-no-2-preseller-year-first-24-hours-1108854

However you spin it, it's a pretty muted performance compared to the other SW movies, but that was to be expected somehow.

We'll see, if Solo will be a late bloomer after all the Avengers hype. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

two 200M openers in one month boys

Along with a 2B hitter and also two (at least) 700M domestics from the same franchise.

This year is a truly special one for Box Office

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

Celine Dion confirmed $170M+. Now if she shows up to the premiere then $200M OW is booked. 

Just saying, the last film Dion did a song for grossed 600m+ domestic and almost 2 billion worldwide...

(not including the several rereleases)

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

We'll see, if Solo will be a late bloomer after all the Avengers hype. 

I would not be surprised in the slightest to see a Black Panther patten form in respect to OPENING NIGHT ONLY.  

That is, strong but not atmospheric ticket sales that get boosted first by reactions after the world premiere, and then again so from the initial reviews.  If they're good, of course.

BP spiked in ticket sales locally after that premiere, and then spiked again when the first reviews came in.

If, as I suspect, some SW fans are on the fence until they hear more, then I wouldn't be surprised to see it be a bit more of a steady climb than, say, Rogue One.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

Just saying, the last film Dion did a song for grossed 600m+ domestic and almost 2 billion worldwide...

(not including the several rereleases)

And the one before Titanic made an incredible $22,5m. So Deadpool obviously will make $311m. 

10 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

Deadpool 2 477 2042 23.36%
Solo 203 2034 9.98%

Deadpool still trucking along, Solo's doing pretty well for its first day (keep in mind, what I have here is the 4-Day)

Late-Night Update

Deadpool 2 490 2042 23.36%
Solo 328 2034 16.13%

Solo saw a big jump after only a few hours, and I assume there will be a couple big boosts on Saturday and Sunday, but I feel it will only do small increases for the next couple of weeks before the week of its release afterwards.

• Like 2

Deadpool 2 Greater Sacramento Area Seat Report: T-13 Days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Perct Sold

TOTALS

20.05%

Total Seats Sold Today:     96

===========

Solo: A Star Wars Story Greater Sacramento Area Seat Report: T-20 Days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Perct Sold

TOTALS

28.13%

Total Seats Sold Today:    2,630

====

I have some comps for Solo, but I'll post them later, as I'm in a bit of a rush right now. 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, grim22 said:

Lmao I love facts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Solo: A Star Wars Story Greater Sacramento Area Seat Report: T-20 Days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Perct Sold

TOTALS

28.13%

Total Seats Sold Today:    2,630

====

I have some comps for Solo, but I'll post them later, as I'm in a bit of a rush right now. 

.5640x as many tickets sold as Infinity War after one day of pre-sales.
.3698x as many tickets sold as Infinity War 20 days before release. (IW had 21 more days of pre-sales)
1.2031x as many tickets sold as Black Panther 20 days before release. (BP had 18 more days of pre-sales) [I don't have info for day one of pre-sales for BP]
1.4660x as many tickets sold as Deadpool 2 20 days before release. (DP2 had two [or so] more days of pre-sales)

None of the above are perfect comps, as there are a wildly different amount of theaters and screens locally for all of them. But they do show a big picture, I think.  Ahead of both BP and DP2, but behind IW.

While I don't have seat count data for Rogue One, I can confirm that it is in fact quite a ways behind it, as @grim22 noted.

How much in terms of seats, I can't say.  But I can say that after one day, R1 had 5 sellouts locally and 10 other showings at 75% or more sold.  Conversely, Solo is at 0 sellouts and 4 showings at 75% or more [I'll start the detailed breakdowns in this thread tomorrow].

In short, right now it's selling like a Marvel movie, not a Star Wars one.  Albeit a VERY successful Marvel movie.

However, that's not THAT unexpected, at least for me.  Even if one discounts the whole falderal over TLJ as I do, there has been some hesitation over Solo.  But if Solo gets a similar bump in ticket sales from buzz post-premiere that Black Panther received... Well, the path Solo wants to follow is pretty clear.  Time will tell if it actually happens or not. 

===

NOTE: This IS the reason why I did seat counts for Black Panther in the first place. :lol:  I wanted a benchmark for Solo, at least for Opening Night, as I suspected Solo would be behind Rogue One and I wanted a more likely comp (not to mention detailed at the seat level).  If Solo does indeed follow BP and get around 25m on Opening Night?  Well I'll be happy enough, even if that is about 4m less than R1 got back in 2016.

• Like 6