grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

3 hours ago, Minnale101 said:

Yeah hope so too but I’m fine with whatever result. I enjoyed the movie. Can’t really stress too hard about box office results 

Just be happy we have more movies to come. :) Hopefully a Red/Blue film or a DP 2 with the legendary birds.

1 minute ago, Cappoedameron said:

Just be happy we have more movies to come. :) Hopefully a Red/Blue film or a DP 2 with the legendary birds.

I’m happy the movie good. The Pokémon IP will only get bigger and profit off this 

Pokémon IP makes 2.5 billion a year and live action movies will only make the number bigger and bring in new kids into franchise 

1 minute ago, Minnale101 said:

I’m happy the movie good. The Pokémon IP will only get bigger and profit off this 

Pokémon IP makes 2.5 billion a year and live action movies will only make the number bigger and bring in new kids into franchise 

Hopefully for the next film they include Gen 8.

Reports are gonna be delayed by about 45minutes or so, as I got curious at the state of Wick 3 locally.

Ummm....

Wick 3 has matched Pika Pika on a pure ticket basis six days out in Sacramento despite being in 8 fewer theaters on a reserved seating basis (43 reserved seating vs 51):

Wick 3: 1028 tickets sold six days away

Pika:     1024 tickets sold six days away

Huh.

---

Now Wick 3 doesn't have 3D.  But it also doesn't have matinee.  It's also VERY heavily concentrated in the 7pm showings right now.  But there some 80% sold and 70% sold showings for it.

Just... Huh.

• Like 6
  • Astonished 2

16 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

It also has IMAX, right?

Not locally.  Wick 3 isn't on a single many PLF screens at all (or at least one that is up-charging for the privilege  Check that.  Two local theaters are in fact up-charging for Wick 3.  But it still isn't on any of the XD or Regal IMAX screens locally - no idea the PLF penetration this'll get nationally).

Edited by Porthos

Looking ahead at the opening night showings for future releases at my local theater:

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum

7:00 - 56/135

7:30 - 0/238

10:10 - 7/135

10:45 - 0/238

Aladdin

5:00 Fan Night Event - 17/85

2D

7:00 - 18/135

10:10 - 0/135

3D

8:00 - 0/85

11:00 - 0/85

IMAX

6:00 - 9/387

9:10 - 1/387

Godzilla: King of the Monsters

2D

5:05 - 0/135

8:20 - 6/135

3D

6:10 - 0/141

9:25 - 0/141

IMAX

4:00 - 7/387

7:15 - 9/387

10:25 - 0/387

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Aladdin Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-13 Days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Perct Sold

TOTALS

8.17%

Total Seats Sold Today:                      70

The best comp I have so far is Detective Pikachu (which is still in pre-sales).  I also have less ideal comps with JW2 and FB2.  Use the later comps with caution.

Unadjusted Comps

1.4828x as many tickets sold as Detective Pikachu 13 days before release. 

PRE-SALES NOTE:  [Pika Pika had 29 days of pre-sales while Aladdin had 24]

T-13:

Pika:    36  tickets sold  [0 sellouts/75 showings   |  8097/8648 seats left   |  6.37% sold]

Adjusted Comps

.5152x as many tickets sold as Fallen Kingdom 13 days before release.

.4687x as many tickets sold as Crimes of Grindelwald 13 days before release.

PRE-SALES NOTE: JW2 had 22 days of pre-sales and FB2 had 30 days of pre-sales while Aladdin had 24.

ADJUSTMENT NOTE: If a theater locally that is now selling tickets for reserved seating was selling them for the above movies, but as non-reserved seating for that movie, it is not counted toward the ratio of 'as many tickets sold' for the movie in question.  If a theater is brand new to the region and wasn't yet open for one of the above movies, however, it will be counted toward the ratio.  It will also be counted toward the ratio if it was playing in a different number of theaters locally.

T-13 days:

JW2                 77 tickets sold [0 sellouts/97 showings |   8628/10113 seats left | 14.68% sold]

Aladdin (JW)    63 tickets sold [0 sellouts/70 showings |   7888/8653 seats left   |   8.87% sold]

FB2                 57 tickets sold [0 sellouts/94 showings | 11732/13377 seats left |  12.30% sold] 

Aladdin (FB)    63 tickets sold [0 sellouts/70 showings |   8320/9091 seats left    |  8.48% sold]  

Aladdin (JW) is the number of tickets sold at the same theaters I had tracking info for Fallen Kingdom

**Aladdin (FB) is the number of tickets sold at the same theaters I had tracking info for Crimes of Grindelwald

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

King of the Monsters Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-20 Days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Perct Sold

TOTALS

3.80%

Total Seats Sold Today:                   287 [includes 159 tickets sold before they officially went on sale]

IMO, the best comp of movies I have tracked will be Fallen Kingdom.  I might add some more comps in the coming days, but I'm running late tonight so for now, just the one.

.4538x as many tickets sold as Fallen Kingdom after one day of pre-sales.           

PRE-SALES NOTE: JW2 had 22 days of pre-sales while KotM had 20.  Also some theaters had KotM tickets on sale for a few days before they were officially announced to the public for sale. 

ADJUSTMENT NOTE: If a theater locally that is now selling tickets for reserved seating was selling them for the above movies, but as non-reserved seating for that movie, it is not counted toward the ratio of 'as many tickets sold' for the movie in question.  If a theater is brand new to the region and wasn't yet open for one of the above movies, however, it will be counted toward the ratio.  It will also be counted toward the ratio if it was playing in a different number of theaters locally.

Day 1 of Pre-sales:

JW2             595 tickets sold [0 sellouts/92 showings   |   8760/9355 seats left   |   6.36% sold]

KotM (JW)    270 tickets sold [0 sellouts/55 showings   |   6216/6486 seats left   |   4.16% sold]

KotM (JW) is the number of tickets sold at the same theaters I had tracking info for Fallen Kingdom.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

King of the Monsters Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-20 Days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Perct Sold

TOTALS

3.80%

Total Seats Sold Today:                   287 [includes 159 tickets sold before they officially went on sale]

IMO, the best comp of movies I have tracked will be Fallen Kingdom.  I might add some more comps in the coming days, but I'm running late tonight so for now, just the one.

.4538x as many tickets sold as Fallen Kingdom after one day of pre-sales.           

PRE-SALES NOTE: JW2 had 22 days of pre-sales while KotM had 20.  Also some theaters had KotM tickets on sale for a few days before they were officially announced to the public for sale. 

ADJUSTMENT NOTE: If a theater locally that is now selling tickets for reserved seating was selling them for the above movies, but as non-reserved seating for that movie, it is not counted toward the ratio of 'as many tickets sold' for the movie in question.  If a theater is brand new to the region and wasn't yet open for one of the above movies, however, it will be counted toward the ratio.  It will also be counted toward the ratio if it was playing in a different number of theaters locally.

Day 1 of Pre-sales:

JW2             595 tickets sold [0 sellouts/92 showings   |   8760/9355 seats left   |   6.36% sold]

KotM (JW)    270 tickets sold [0 sellouts/55 showings   |   6216/6486 seats left   |   4.16% sold]

KotM (JW) is the number of tickets sold at the same theaters I had tracking info for Fallen Kingdom.

Percentage wise, with some theaters not having sales up yet that seems pretty good to me.

• Like 1

Couple notes.

First off, for whatever reason, Aladdin did MUCH better than the last couple of days.

Don't ask me why. Maybe just making up for the last couple of days. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Secondly, as I already noted, KotM is missing from four theaters locally.  Not only that but JW2 had more showings, even when that is factored in, I believe.   Right now the raw difference is 92 showings vs 55.  I'd have to boot into my old drive to access the old revision history to get the reserved showing count, but even so on an adjusted basis, JW2 had around 3000 more seats to choose from at this point in time.

Just something to consider.  Maybe not much of a consideration, but at least a factor.  Even so, running at around 50% on Day "1" of JW2 isn't bad at all, IMO. 

We'll see how it goes from here and how much it goes up or down as a ratio as time goes on.  Especially when Cinema West finally checks in.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Couple notes.

First off, for whatever reason, Aladdin did MUCH better than the last couple of days.

Don't ask me why. Maybe just making up for the last couple of days. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Secondly, as I already noted, KotM is missing from four theaters locally.  Not only that but JW2 had more showings, even when that is factored in, I believe.   Right now the raw difference is 92 showings vs 55.  I'd have to boot into my old drive to access the old revision history to get the reserved showing count, but even so on an adjusted basis, JW2 had around 3000 more seats to choose from at this point in time.

Just something to consider.  Maybe not much of a consideration, but at least a factor.  Even so, running at around 50% on Day "1" of JW2 isn't bad at all, IMO. 

We'll see how it goes from here and how much it goes up or down as a ratio as time goes on.  Especially when Cinema West finally checks in.

100+ tickets to me seems good we'll see if this pace continues. Also yeah I had the same thing happen to me with Aladdin? Randomly shot up by 12 tickets.

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Aladdin Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-13 Days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Perct Sold

TOTALS

8.17%

Total Seats Sold Today:                      70

Unadjusted Comps

1.4828x as many tickets sold as Detective Pikachu 13 days before release. 

PRE-SALES NOTE:  [Pika Pika had 29 days of pre-sales while Aladdin had 24]

T-13:

Pika:    36  tickets sold  [0 sellouts/75 showings   |  8097/8648 seats left   |  6.37% sold]

Probs not gonna do this all the time, but using that multiplier right there, that would translate to about $8.45M as a preview number. It's obviously not a perfect metric, especially since you only have the one good comp. But using that preview, it translates to a 3-Day of 96.8M using Pirates 5's IM, and 90.6M using BatB's IM. Would be pretty good when all is said and done, though obviously we still have two weeks to go.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Right now the raw difference is 92 showings vs 55.  I'd have to boot into my old drive to access the old revision history to get the reserved showing count, but even so on an adjusted basis, JW2 had around 3000 more seats to choose from at this point in time.

Just checked.  KotM on an adjusted basis (ie same sources of tracking info) is at 37 reserved seating theaters while JW2 was at 65 at the same point in time.  Hence the near 3000 seat difference in capacity.

That gap will shrink dramatically once Cinema West checks in, but I don't know if it'll wipe it out completely.

===

Have to check out for about 60-90 minutes, so if there any comments/questions, I'll try to grab them then.

Apologies to East Coasters who are still awake. ;)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

Had time to quickly comment on this:

35 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Probs not gonna do this all the time, but using that multiplier right there, that would translate to about $8.45M as a preview number. It's obviously not a perfect metric, especially since you only have the one good comp. But using that preview, it translates to a 3-Day of 96.8M using Pirates 5's IM, and 90.6M using BatB's IM. Would be pretty good when all is said and done, though obviously we still have two weeks to go.

If I had better comps, I'd try to use them.  But all my other comps that aren't listed are a bunch of CBMs and Solo.

Solo MIGHT have some use closer to release as a Memorial Day to Memorial Day comp.  But being so pre-sale heavy, I'm not so sure it's of value yet as a comp.

I can rope it in though if people think'll give some sort of use.

(If there's any CBMs that were released in the last couple of years that folks think will be of use,  I can rope those in as well [if I have them, that is])

Edited by Porthos