grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Deep Wang has been around for a bit, but some DC fanboys caused the original thread to be purged and DW's identity to go secret back in May. 

Okay, I THINK I know who you're talking about then. Cheers. :)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lor San Tele said:

So we've reached out to Deep Wang to get some more clarification about LAST JEDI compared to TFA, and if I'm interpreting what s/he sent correctly, TLJ presales are stronger than I expected... running approximately 10% behind TFA's presales to date.

@Porthos

Behind it at the same point in time or its final total?

23 minutes ago, FlashMaster659 said:

Behind it at the same point in time or its final total?

I'm assuming its at the same point. If it was 10% behind final total then TLJ would surely overtake TFA as a lot of presales happen in the 2-3 days prior to release. That would be crazy. 

Thats what Tele meant by "to date". 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

That would put the opening in the 225m range. That's what I am going with as well. Although it's important to mention that presales have been increasing over the years but then again TFA was such a standout even that I think people may not be rushing out to pre book TLJ comparatively so it balances out. 

225 sounds good.

I think so too, if we were comparing this to a franchise other than Star Wars that would be concerning actually with the increase in presales but TFA had such huge presales Im not sure if the increase we've seen for other movies really impacts what we should expect here.  Plus with reviews coming out tomorrow, if they are as good as people expect, you actually have an extra day to build additional hype about the quality of the movie.  Also notable is TFA opened closer to Christmas so it's possible it's presales could have been more spread out.

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Is "Deep Wang" someone new?  I've seen the name a couple of times recently, but I don't recall seeing it when I was around before. Is that the same person who used to post here, or is that someone different?

Deep Wang is a new source who gives us info on exact sales for their national theater chain. These numbers aren't total presales, just their chain, but we can compare given other numbers they've given us in the past.

4 minutes ago, Lor San Tele said:

Deep Wang is a new source who gives us info on exact sales for their national theater chain. These numbers aren't total presales, just their chain, but we can compare given other numbers they've given us in the past.

Isn't AMC the chain that he tracks? Think I remember someone saying that.

Edited by FlashMaster659

1 hour ago, Lor San Tele said:

So we've reached out to Deep Wang to get some more clarification about LAST JEDI compared to TFA, and if I'm interpreting what s/he sent correctly, TLJ presales are stronger than I expected... running approximately 10% behind TFA's presales to date.

@Porthos

You reached out and touched Deep Wang?

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, Lor San Tele said:

@Porthos

That's pretty damn good. Presales get stronger and stronger every year, but I wonder if that applies to a series like Star Wars anyway.

Just now, Biggestgeekever said:

That's pretty damn good. Presales get stronger and stronger every year, but I wonder if that applies to a series like Star Wars anyway.

Well, tbf, there should also be the concern of increased frontloading.  Especially if folks are going to run to see it to avoid spoilers.  

Still, there are so many casual SW fans in North America that there's still plenty of coin to be made.

16 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Tbh running 10% behind TFA has me a bit worried this will barely cross 210M this weekend. Reserved seating has increased tenfold.

Aw come on Wrath, don't ruin my vibe!

Edited by JB33