grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

I think you have a dual effect of a film that really has a very narrow appeal and add in the fact a large segment of the SW fanbase is far less enthusiastic about the brand due to a certain film...

1 hour ago, Poseidon said:

I'm still completely confused by the trailer clicks for Solo. I'm not sure I have ever seen anything like this for a movie, that is supposed to open to 170m in 10 days.

It added around 500k clicks on YT in the last week, and the clicks were already low to begin with. 

Solo Teaser - 12.6M views

Solo Official Trailer - 12.8M

Some comparisons:

Ant Man & Wasp Trailer 1 - 13.9M

Ant Man & Wasp Official Trailer - 19.1M

Mission Impossible - 22M

Fantastic Beasts - 17.3M

Deadpool 2: The Trailer - 34.7M

Deadpool 2 Final Trailer - 24.9M

I mean yeah, trailer views can only tell us so much, but it certainly does seem to be lagging.

• Thanks 1

Trailer views do matter I think if there are quite different then the norm.

The fact that IW main trailer is at like 192+ million views showcased the massive global reach of the film.

Considering it will be the biggest film overseas in almost a decade since Avatar,  I think that came out to be. 

On 5/8/2018 at 2:53 PM, WrathOfHan said:

Black Panther, Ready Player One, and Super Troopers 2 are gone.

Hide contents

Biggest: 124 seats

2nd Biggest: 113 seats

Average: 78 seats (6 auditoriums are this size)

4th Smallest: 69 seats

3rd Smallest: 67 seats

2nd Smallest: 63 seats

Smallest: 60 seats

Bad Samaritan, Blumhouse's Truth or Dare, I Feel Pretty, and A Wrinkle in Time are gone.

WEEKEND:

Deadpool 2: 18 (Biggest, 2nd Biggest, and Average x3)

Book Club: 7 (Average and 2nd Smallest)

Show Dogs: 6 (2nd Biggest, Average, 4th Smallest, and 2nd Smallest) (I have no clue why tf they can't keep it on a single screen lmao)

Avengers: Infinity War: 9 (5 2D/4 3D; 2nd Biggest, Average, 4th Smallest, and 3rd Smallest)

Breaking In: 6 (Average)

Life of the Party: 5 (3rd Smallest)

Overboard: 5 (Smallest)

Rampage: 2 (2nd Smallest)

A Quiet Place: 1 (2nd Smallest)

WEEKDAY:

Deadpool 2: 12 (Biggest and Average x2)

Book Club: 4 (2nd Biggest)

Show Dogs: 4 (3rd Smallest)

Avengers: Infinity War: 6 (Down 6; 3 2D/3 3D; Average x2)

Breaking In: 4 (Flat; Average)

A Quiet Place: 5 (Up 1; 4th Smallest)

Life of the Party: 4 (Flat; Average)

Overboard: 4 (Flat; 2nd Smallest)

Rampage: 4 (Flat; Smallest)

Auditorium sizes for reference (all seats are recliners if you're wondering why they're small):  

Spoiler

Biggest: 124 seats

2nd Biggest: 113 seats

Average: 78 seats (6 auditoriums are this size)

4th Smallest: 69 seats

3rd Smallest: 67 seats

2nd Smallest: 63 seats

Smallest: 60 seats

Interesting that my theater is letting IW mostly keep one of their bigger auditoriums during the weekend; Show Dogs and Deadpool just take over during the afternoon.

I'm a bit surprised they kept Rampage over IFP.

lmao @ LOTP being in a smaller auditorium during the weekend. It's crumbling fast, guys

• Like 2

23 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

If it doesn't do it by the end of today, it might take til Wed morning - tomorrow is cheap Tuesday, and somehow, that is always a big MT.com seller...

IW has now retaken the 24 hour rolling lead, though it is neck and neck:

2018-05-15 22:01:29.654781 UTC
1	25.4%	Avengers: Infinity War
2	24.5%	Deadpool 2
3	7.4%	Breaking In
4	7.1%	Mahanati (Telugu)
5	6.9%	Life of the Party

2018-05-15 21:01:26.571113 UTC
1	25.2%	Deadpool 2
2	25%	Avengers: Infinity War
3	7.3%	Breaking In
4	7%	Life of the Party
5	6.6%	Mahanati (Telugu)

2018-05-15 20:01:56.886337 UTC
1	25.7%	Deadpool 2
2	25%	Avengers: Infinity War
3	7.2%	Breaking In
4	6.7%	Life of the Party
5	6.2%	Mahanati (Telugu)

2018-05-15 19:01:33.358459 UTC
1	25.8%	Deadpool 2
2	25.3%	Avengers: Infinity War
3	7.1%	Breaking In
4	6.6%	Life of the Party
5	5.7%	Mahanati (Telugu)

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

Interesting that my theater is letting IW mostly keep one of their bigger auditoriums during the weekend; Show Dogs and Deadpool just take over during the afternoon.

I'm a bit surprised they kept Rampage over IFP.

lmao @ LOTP being in a smaller auditorium during the weekend. It's crumbling fast, guys

Well it just had a 62 million weekend.

5 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Preaales are screwed. It needs strong reactions to get hype going.

Not getting the strong reviews it needs to get the people on the fence excited I think. But hey, it might just be a Marvel movie in terms of presales to OW despite being something called "A Star Wars Story". 

22 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Not getting the strong reviews it needs to get the people on the fence excited I think. But hey, it might just be a Marvel movie in terms of presales to OW despite being something called "A Star Wars Story". 

Should help that its a holiday weekend and droves of people will be going to the theater anyways. Solo better hope that everyone already saw Deadpool and Infinity War though.

23 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

Deadpool 2 905 2042 44.32%
Solo 539 2034 26.20%
Incredibles 2 131 3032 4.32%
Mamma Mia 2 4 1582 0.25%

Book Club 21 1539 1.36%
Deadpool 2 1185 3582 33.08%
Show Dogs 17 852 2.00%

A 31% jump for DP2 within the past day, although it helps that it got a massive expansion in its showtimes, specifically Thursday.

I don't know if this is the case for other theaters, but Show Dogs isn't getting any Thursday previews, while Book Club is only getting one at 5 PM.

1 minute ago, CoolEric258 said:

Book Club 21 1539 1.36%
Deadpool 2 1185 3582 33.08%
Show Dogs 17 852 2.00%

A 31% jump for DP2 within the past day, although it helps that it got a massive expansion in its showtimes, specifically Thursday.

I don't know if this is the case for other theaters, but Show Dogs isn't getting any Thursday previews, while Book Club is only getting one at 5 PM.

Yeah, Show Dogs isn't doing previews

• Thanks 1

I'm honestly a tad scared Show Dogs will come out of nowhere and do something like 15m this weekend. There's been nothing for kids, and this horrendous live action pets with voices garbage tends to do surprisingly not awful at the box office (i.e., Beverly Hills Chihauha, G-Force, Cats & Dogs 1 and 2). Marmaduke is pretty much the worst performing one in this category, and still opened to 11m in 2010. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Astonished 1

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

I'm honestly a tad scared Show Dogs will come out of nowhere and do something like 15m this weekend. There's been nothing for kids, and these horrendous live action pets with voices garbage tends to do surprisingly not awful at the box office (i.e., Beverly Hills Chihauha, G-Force, Cats & Dogs 1 and 2). Marmaduke is pretty much the worst performing one in this category, and still opened to 11m in 2010. 

I want A Quiet Place to stay ahead of it, so this better not happen.

Here are the number of showings Friday for the AMC megaplex near me.

Deadpool 2: 30

Book Club: 5

Show Dogs: 5

Infinity War: 17

Life of the Party: 9

Breaking In: 6

Overboard: 4

A Quiet Place: 4

I Feel Pretty: 4

Rampage: 4

Tully: 2

Black Panther: 4

Blockers: 4

Ready Player One: 4

Super Troopers 2: 2

A Wrinkle in Time: 2

Isle of Dogs: 2

Raazi: 4

102 Not Out: 1

Chappaquiddick: 2

The Miracle Season: 3

Game Night: 2

• Like 2

At my AMC, most of Show Dogs' showings are in smaller auditoriums this weekend. If there was more confidence for the movie, they would've put it in an average auditorium for the entire day instead of the screen shifting it's doing. Movies that open in my theater's smaller auditoriums are often the megabombs (Sgt. Stubby, Unsane, Gringo, Hurricane Heist, Early Man, Every Day, and Father Figures among recent ones), so this isn't a good sign for Show Dogs.

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

At my AMC, most of Show Dogs' showings are in smaller auditoriums this weekend. If there was more confidence for the movie, they would've put it in an average auditorium for the entire day instead of the screen shifting it's doing. Movies that open in my theater's smaller auditoriums are often the megabombs (Sgt. Stubby, Unsane, Gringo, Hurricane Heist, Early Man, Every Day, and Father Figures among recent ones), so this isn't a good sign for Show Dogs.

Hopefully. But again, when nearly all of these types of movies have done 40m+ in the past, prepare for the worst is all I'm saying. 

• Sad 1