grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

15 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

You think it's a bad sign? I know that it's discount Tuesday but you'd I figured we might see a bit of a spike from increased interest after the premiere.

Not really. Being close to BP is still great for it and it's still ahead of BP's Tuesday on Fandango.

6 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Do you feel the screening count is more due to the barren market or perceived demand? I realize those two go hand in hand, but I guess I'm wondering if this is a case of theatres simply filling their cinemas with showtimes, as if to say "Hey, look! We finally have something good!" or if it's more "Okay, this is going to be a monster. We better add x number of showtimes", on top of the barren market factor.

Honestly, I think it's both.  There hasn't been much going around in the cinemas AND they want to scoop up as much as they can as quick as they can.  They saw the monster numbers for BP and IW and figure that even if it won't approach either of those two when it comes to selling out, they'll still do better than whatever else they could show Thr night.

I used to look at the FSS screen count, but I haven't been doing that as much recently.  I'll probably go ahead and do that for CM since I did it for BP and IW.  I reckon that BP, at least, should have a bit of an edge on the Sunday screen count since it had a holiday Monday.

Without looking though, I expect IW to slaughter CM on the FSS screen count, as that is where the chains really crammed in as many showings as they could.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Honestly, I think it's both.  There hasn't been much going around in the cinemas AND they want to scoop up as much as they can as quick as they can.  They saw the monster numbers for BP and IW and figure that even if it won't approach either of those two when it comes to selling out, they'll still do better than whatever else they could show Thr night.

I used to look at the FSS screen count, but I haven't been doing that as much recently.  I'll probably go ahead and do that for CM since I did it for BP and IW.  I reckon that BP, at least, should have a bit of an edge on the Sunday screen count since it had a holiday Monday.

Without looking though, I expect IW to slaughter CM on the FSS screen count, as that is where the chains really crammed in as many showings as they could.

Out of reactions, but thanks!

• Like 1

MT

2019-03-06 02:00:32.538268 UTC
1	31%	Captain Marvel
2	16.9%	Tyler Perry's A Madea Family Funeral
3	12.7%	How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
4	4.5%	Alita: Battle Angel
5	3.6%	Greta
2018-02-14 02:01:17.726401 UTC
1	35.4%	Black Panther
2	24.2%	Fifty Shades Freed
3	6%	Peter Rabbit
4	5.6%	15:17 to Paris, The
5	3.1%	Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Just did a check.  Now the CM FSS count isn't remotely close to being full yet, so I went back and checked my spreadsheet for BP and IW on the Tue of release week:

IW (Tue before release)

Fri:     332 screenings (ended up with 391 and 2 sellouts by Thr)

Sat:    332 screenings (ended up with 389 and 2 sellouts by Thr)

Sun:   321 screenings (ended up with 370 and 0 sellouts by Thr)

Any screenings added after Thr weren't tracked.

CM (as of right now)

Fri:     275 screenings 

Sat:    277 screenings

Sun:   265 screenings

The comparison with BP is a little more difficult, due to the theater that opened post-BP, so I'll give a special comp for BP:

BP (Tue before release): 

Fri:    257 screenings, 2 sellouts (ended up with 285 screenings and 3 sellouts by Thr)

Sat:   259 screenings (ended up with 286 screenings and 0 sellouts by Thr)

Sun:  258 screenings (ended up with 285 screenings and 0 sellouts by Thr)

Mon: 255 screenings (ended up with 281 screenings and 0 sellouts by Thr)

CM (w/out Delta Shores) (as of right now)

Fri:     251 screenings 

Sat:    253 screenings

Sun:   241 screenings

===

@JB33

So on a theater for theater track CM is running neck and neck with BP when it comes to screen counts, except for the expected difference in Sunday showings.  Well behind IW, also as I expected.  

Looking at the final total for BP though, I won't be too surprised if CM moves beyond it on a screen count basis even on a like-for-like comparison.  Ain't touching IW though. ;)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Just did a check.  Now the CM FSS count isn't remotely close to being full yet, so I went back and checked my spreadsheet for BP and IW on the Tue of release week:

IW (Tue before release)

Fri:     332 screenings (ended up with 391 and 2 sellouts by Thr)

Sat:    332 screenings (ended up with 389 and 2 sellouts by Thr)

Sun:   321 screenings (ended up with 370 and 0 sellouts by Thr)

CM (as of right now)

Fri:     275 screenings 

Sat:    277 screenings

Sun:   265 screenings

The comparison with BP is a little more difficult, due to the theater that opened post-BP, so I'll give a special comp for BP:

BP (Tue before release): 

Fri:    257 screenings, 2 sellouts (ended up with 285 screenings and 3 sellouts by Thr)

Sat:   259 screenings (ended up with 286 screenings and 0 sellouts by Thr)

Sun:  258 screenings (ended up with 285 screenings and 0 sellouts by Thr)

Mon: 255 screenings (ended up with 281 screenings and 0 sellouts by Thr)

CM (w/out Delta Shores) (as of right now)

Fri:     251 screenings 

Sat:    253 screenings

Sun:   241 screenings

===

@JB33

So on a theater for theater track CM is running neck and neck with BP when it comes to screen counts, except for the expected difference in Sunday showings.  Well behind IW, also as I expected.  

Looking at the final total for BP though, I won't be too surprised if CM moves beyond it on a screen count basis even on a like-for-like comparison.  Ain't touching IW though. ;)

Interesting. This really is shaping up to be a mini Black Panther. You wonder how much of BP's $202M opening weekend came on account of the holiday weekend. If one were to speculate on what that number would be, it would be interesting to see how close CM's OW will come to that. They could end up being more similar than any of us think.

7 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

Some hourly check-ins on the Fandango 24 hr tracker:  

Spoiler

Tues 3/5   
12:00 39.6k
13:00  39.8k
14:00  38.8k
15:00  38.8k
16:00  38.6k     
17:00  38.5k
18:00  38.8k
19:00 38.6k

20:00 38.1k
21:00 39.1k 

As we can see it’s trending down a bit (1k in 4 hours), not sure if that will continue or reverse. Still as long as it ends near Monday’s 34K (which would also be near BP’s Tuesday 36k) that will be very healthy.

22:00 38.8k      

23:00 38.2k

00:00 38.4k

Looking to beat BP imo, but we’ll see how next 3 hours go.

Edited by Thanos Legion

Preview night at my theatre for reserved seating is currently 

435/1328

That’s for 4 showtimes. There’s also two other screens but I can’t track cause it’s not reserved seating.

I live just North of Toronto(Canada)

I don’t have exact numbers from previous cbm but this is pretty good. It’s pretty  close to what BP had but not as much. Going forward I’ll keep the data from preview nights for big tent pole movies. I’ll update this on Thursday with final sales. 

Edited by cax16
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Preview night at my theatre for reserved seating is currently 

435/1328

That’s for 4 showtimes. There’s also two other screens but I can’t track cause it’s not reserved seating.

I live just North of Toronto(Canada)

I don’t have exact numbers from previous cbm but this is pretty good. It’s pretty  close to what BP had but not as much. Going forward I’ll keep the data from preview nights for big tent pole movies. I’ll update this on Thursday with final sales. 

Appreciated!

• Like 1

Should beat BP on Fandango for today, but pretty tough to tell how meaningful that is with the review embargo drop. Perhaps better to compare to IW today, which had the same embargo release timing. IW Fandango tickets on Tues were +10% of Mon, same for CM would be 37.4k. That looks pretty close.   

Edit

23:00 38.2k

00:00 38.4k    

Wait for CoolEric in about an hour to calculate the more precise number, but I think it will be above 37.4k

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Fandango App Monday Tues Wed Thursday

Black Panther 35,429 36,302 39,934 65,453

Avengers: Infinity War 49,836 54,892 68,826 206,000

Deadpool 2 23,134 28,896 41,212  

SW: Solo 13,688 15,855 28,533  

Incredibles 2 20,872 23,430 39,337  

Venom 13,602 13,818 20,867 31,569

A Star Is Born 9,115 11,383 22,641 21,501

Fantastic Beasts 8,956 14,238 21,861 31,880

Aquaman 8,502 9,671 15,063  

Captain Marvel 33,951 37,060    

Tuesday Comps:

102% of Black Panther (206.2M)

67% of Infinity War (174M)

128% of Deadpool 2 (161M)

234% of Solo (197.3M)

158% of Incredibles 2 (289M)

268% of Venom (215.2M)

326% of A Star is Born (139.7M)

260% of Fantastic Beasts 2 (161.8M)

383% of Aquaman (260.1M)

Last 7 Days Comp:

85% of Black Panther (172.4M)

Day 17-Day 3 Comp:

66% of Black Panther (134.5M)

It's has come back down to Earth for a few comps, but it still manged to either stay steady or increase for many others. Again, conventional wisdom makes me want to follow the Marvel comps, but I still don't want to underestimate the female factor here. I have been more confident lately on the movie (was O/U Hunger Games for forever, now I'm O/U BvS), but I still want to be pessimistic and don't believe it will reach BatB numbers just yet.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2