Dementeleus

What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

Just now, Rman823 said:

So you're a Captain America fan and you're not going to see a movie he's featured in ? I'd understand not seeing Thor or Guardians but I really don't know too many people who just watched TWS and then CW. 

I don't remember the marketing from Age of Ultron, so idk if he was prominently featured.

• Community Manager
9 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Don't forget that they get inflated and half the time they are paying themselves.  When Disney makes a Star Wars movie, most of the money is in special effects, which are basically done at an in house company they own.  Same thing with the sound and editing.  Same thing with the advertising dollars they pump into their own networks.  

Plus a huge portion of the budget goes to the stars and the director.

1 minute ago, franfar said:

I don't remember the marketing from Age of Ultron, so idk if he was prominently featured.

He's pretty much the 2nd most important hero after Tony Stark

• Like 4

Just now, franfar said:

Even if you hadn't seen the marketing I don't think you'd be that good of a Cap fan to not know he's an Avenger and would be in the movie. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Well...yeah. 

It's so much fun looking back at Jeff Robinov's hubris surrounding Man of Steel, which only grossed about half of what he predicted worldwide.  Any argument about MoS should always refer back to this.

Warner Bros. motion pictures group president Jeff Robinov went so far as to predict it will be the studio’s highest performer ever. That would mean the 3D movie, which cost about $225 million to produce and another $150 million to market and release around the globe, would have to top the $1.3 billion cume for “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2” and the $1 billion-plus each earned by four other Warner releases, “The Dark Knight,” “The Dark Knight Rises,” “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” and “The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.”

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/warner-bros-sets-bar-high-for-latest-and-priciest-incarnation-of-superman-1200493334/

(It has) a very fresh feel, and it takes you into the DC universe with the introduction of Krypton at the start of the film and the introduction of DC villains,” he says. “It’s a world that you have not seen before.”

Blatant hypocrisy from Robinov above, considering MoS replicates the structure and villains of Superman I/II very closely, despite it's "modern" tone. 

“We’ve seen him portrayed in the past as this kind of goodie two-shoes, Boy Scout character that didn’t feel very realistic,” says Deborah Snyder, who produced the picture with Nolan and his wife Emma Thomas, and Charles Roven.

With respect, Jenkins and Wonder Woman just proved you wrong, Mrs. Snyder

How can you imply a dumb ass ambition of a Studio Head???.

He had no clue as to what he was doing which is proof when he didn't have a clear plan for the universe.

You can talk about Snyder all you want but at least he made things a little clear after he was appointed the rings of creating the universe.

No way Man of steel was gonna do a 3x even with extremely positive reviews.

if you even take away it 65% drop and give it a 55% it still wouldn't go much pass a 2.6x

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, franfar said:

He was lol. Hes one of the main characters.

6 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Plus a huge portion of the budget goes to the stars and the director.

Exactly. I think stars get paid much more than we suspect. Take Adam sandler comedies for example. no way Jack and Jill had a 79M budget. he must have been paid 40M to himself. the movie looks so cheap and a few sets can't cost that much. idk...i'm having a hard time comprehending these huge budgets. the talent i say takes most of the money

Edited by Alli

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, Alli said:

Exactly. I think stars get paid much more than we suspect. Take Adam sandler comedies for example. no way Jack and Jill had a 79M budget. he must have been paid 40M himself. the movie looks so cheap and a few sets can't cost that much. idk...i'm having a hard time comprehending these huge budgets. the talent i say takes most of the money

Sets can be pretty expensive. Any scene with lots of extras are pretty expensive. I dont think he got paid $40 million-the director and his co-stars and his salary combined probably-but even simple scenes can cost lots of money especially if it involves comedy stunts.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, James said:

Side note, but with all the SS being a horrible hated movie talk, it is doing quite great on home video. According to the-numbers.com in the US:

- Suicide Squad - 80.6m (DVD+Bluray sales)

- Civil War - 74.5m

- Bvs - 74.6m

- Deadpool - 92.9m

- Apocalypse - 30.4m

Only because The Numbers for some reason averages the the cost of a SS Blu-Ray  $30 & a DVD at $20, for opening week and well beyond - even the weeks it was heavily discounted then later cut.

Meanwhile they have BvS at $25 (even though after a month they were selling it at $9.99-$14.99 - slashed just like MOS) . CW & Deadpool were listed at $19.99 (Fox though also heavily discounted DP after a while.  Disney though rarely does this for anything even when their films show up on Netflix early - like CW).  The Numbers always have these weird differentiation in #s even when almost all these big movies were at the same price point at Amazon, Best Buy etc the first week released - it's nonsensical.

Total US units sold as estimated by The Numbers

SS: 3.175

BvS: 3.514

CW: 3.878 

Deadpool: 5.562

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Alli said:

Exactly. I think stars get paid much more than we suspect. Take Adam sandler comedies for example. no way Jack and Jill had a 79M budget. he must have been paid 40M to himself. the movie looks so cheap and a few sets can't cost that much. idk...i'm having a hard time comprehending these huge budgets. the talent i say takes most of the money

If only it was 79m, Jack and Jill net production budget was 90.04 million from the studio pov.

I think those are a bit independently made by him and sold to the studio at a pre-set price (a bit like Netflix or a Sundance buy out), so the studio price for it is pretty much 100% disconnected to what the movie cost to make.

One group of people that are paid much more than people suspect is producers, I think people assume movie star make a lot, but producers (not necessarily known name) can make 2 million + back end points on a movie and writers (you often read people saying that studio should spend on the writer instead of X on a Transformer movie for example, the studio probably spent 7-8 m on script&story on a Transformer movie)

7 minutes ago, Alli said:

Sandler movies are pretty much an expensive paid vacation for him and his buddies

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Alli said:

Here is a helpful breakdown of costs for a non-VFX tentpole movie (but one still solidly within the studio & star system):

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/budget-breakdowns-what-a-typical-827862

• Like 3

1 minute ago, kayumanggi said:

By the way, WONDER WOMAN is the 12th 100 M of 2017. 24 more is needed to beat the record.

Hmm. Doable?

Spider-man Homecoming

Thor Ragnarok

Justice League

The Last Jedi

Despicable Me 3

Honestly, only those ones seem assured to open over $100M+ DOM.

• Like 1