Dementeleus

What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

Just now, YourMother said:

Still I think Wonder Woman's positive reception might have helped JL domestically. Sure it won't do $450M+ overnight but some face was saved.

Sure, some. Not enough for 1 billion.

2 minutes ago, franfar said:

BvS had lots of potential but still couldn't make it. The same director of that movie is directing this one. I'm expecting a sizeable DOM drop from BvS.

Dude there's really no way JL does a sub 140 opening and with those first 10days the film can very well pass BVSdom total in that time frame while opening 20mil lower.

Just now, Brainiac5 said:

Dude there's really no way JL does a sub 140 opening and with those first 10days the film can very well pass BVSdom total in that time frame while opening 20mil lower.

With a $155M OW and good WOM, The 10 day would be O/U $300M actuallly but it'd still leg it out to $400M.

4 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

Dude there's really no way JL does a sub 140 opening 

Why not? 

Personally, I think I'll go with 125/275

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

With a $155M OW and good WOM

You do realize who is directing this, right?

Edited by franfar

Just now, God Emperor Tele said:

Cruddy exchange rates, an upward hill to positive reception, more superheroes doesn't equal better, and a likely lower OW than BVS. And that would be to match BVS, let alone gross 130m more. 

Even with exchange rates WW will seem to not have a problem on its way to grossing 400mil o.s so.

Im pretty sure JL is gonna have a much bigger opening so as of now I'm saying 600 o.s is the floor the film.

If WW grosses 400 o.s the theory of exchange rates is debunked.

1 minute ago, elcaballero said:

That's, like, 95% of the movie. What about it don't you like?

Everything else? :lol: 

All of that -- no matter how well staged -- gets pretty boring when I don't care about the characters. I didn't love the first one but at least it had the puppy angle. 

18 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

BVS with overused Batman and Superman and a very negative media coverage almost made 1 billion, imagine them along with now beloved Wonder Woman, joined by Aquaman and The Flash and with 90%+ on Rotten Tomatoes... The only way JL misses 1 billion is if it's a complete disaster.

I'd categorize "nearly $1 billion" as somewhere in the $900-975million range.  Not $872 million. 

I don't know where you're getting Superman as "overused."  He had appeared in only two films since 1987.  Batman, I can understand that accusation...but grosses with his movies also prove the public does not tire of the character.

"...if it's a complete disaster."

Well, anything is still possible. ;)

So is the movie surprising us all, to be fair.

Edited by Macleod

1 minute ago, Brainiac5 said:

Even with exchange rates WW will seem to not have a problem on its way to grossing 400mil o.s so.

Im pretty sure JL is gonna have a much bigger opening so as of now I'm saying 600 o.s is the floor the film.

If WW grosses 400 o.s the theory of exchange rates is debunked.

These are some pretty wild assumptions. I think BVS is also a better baseline for what JL can or can't donn

Although I dont see it missing 1b and 400 dom but it isnt beyond the realm of possibility that this misses out on those numbers if the reviews are bad again. JL will also face competition from Thor and late competition from TLJ, something which BVS didnt have to face. 

The first thing JL has to be is a good movie and coherent movie.  But there are some positives right now. WW is a huge positive. Affleck's Batman was pretty well liked.  The Flash could be a minor draw. Aquaman is the "hot guy" everything I read about that movie is ladies going wild for him.  If this is a well made movie, paced well etc..  I think it can cross the billion mark. 

But remember,  it'll need about $1.5B to be profitable. :sparta: