Plain Old Tele

What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

MOS had a weak multiplier, especially if you include the presales.  But domestic is not where the problem is at...making close to 300 million is fine....but internationally it did piss poor.  And when you make 668 on a budget of 225, then perhaps the film didn't quite do what WB had hoped it would.

Exactly. And one of the former producers at WB claimed that MOS would make more money worldwide than "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows part 2", which stands at 1.3 billion dollars worldwide. And that is still the highest grossing film for WB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, brian.jensen.507464 said:

Which isn't that great for Superhero films.

I might have been wrong for adding the walmart previews to the total.

But lol. Get off your rocker.

1 minute ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Bvs and civil war are the pieces of same third. Both have a spectacular action scene that get's boring after one viewing.

They try to make their third act peeaonal and all, and spectacularly fail at that.

Then they have consequences that will be completely neglible once next films roll out.

No.

• Like 3

The MCU and DCEU both overall feel like convoluted TV Shows that have too much going on and too many characters just for the sake of having a lot of plot and characters.

They're both at their best when they focus in and make a movie that's not worried about Universe Building and the plot of the overall franchise (see GOTG or WW).

The tie-ins aren't terrible but they can easily turn movies into messes to people who aren't fans (see CW and BvS)

Edited by Negative Panda Covfefe
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, brian.jensen.507464 said:

Exactly. And one of the former producers at WB claimed that MOS would make more money worldwide than "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows part 2", which stands at 1.3 billion dollars worldwide. And that is still the highest grossing film for WB.

I don't doubt you but where did you read that?

• Like 2

so the greats gatsby is tougher competition than the double whammy of Monster University and World War Z in its 2nd weekend:wintf:. Please give me what you are smoking.

The Great Gatsby and Fast 6.

Trying to claim that "MOS" was dealing with tough competition, is a weak argument. Especially since World War Z and MU were not beloved films to begin with.

It's different with the luke warm response that BVS got, in comparison to the beloved praise that Zootopia and Jungle Book managed to get.

This is another thing that people don't realize. Is that "Zootopia" made more money domestically than "BVS", and it came out three weeks earlier in March of 2016.

• Like 1

Just now, baumer said:

I don't doubt you but where did you read that?

That was Jeff Robinov's statement but he was also on his way out so there are those who claim he tossed in a poison pill on the way out so that it would seen as a failure if it didn 't hit that high mark. 

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/warner-bros-sets-bar-high-for-latest-and-priciest-incarnation-of-superman-1200493334/

Warner Bros. motion pictures group president Jeff Robinov went so far as to predict it will be the studio’s highest performer ever. That would mean the 3D movie, which cost about $225 million to produce and another $150 million to market and release around the globe, would have to top the $1.3 billion cume for “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2” and the $1 billion-plus each earned by four other Warner releases, “The Dark Knight,” “The Dark Knight Rises,” “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” and “The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.”

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Civil War is a hilarious mess of a movie. absolutely ambitionless

Eh, I don't like CW or BvS, but I wouldn't call either ambitionless.  I'd actually say one of their big flaws is they try to do way too much than they really need to.

• Like 4

So WB have never Marketed Any of the DCEU films ???

It's pretty clear that WB spend more money marketing and promoting MOS, BVS, and Suicide Squad than what they spent on "Wonder Woman." But once "Wonder Woman" got rave reviews, they decided to go out for the marketing and promotion for "Wonder Woman", especially during the last two weeks of May, and right up to the release of the film in the first weekend of June.

That's what I was pointing out, but apparently you didn't read it.

• Like 3

So WB have never Marketed Any of the DCEU films ???

It's pretty clear that WB spend more money marketing and promoting MOS, BVS, and Suicide Squad than what they spent on "Wonder Woman." But once "Wonder Woman" got rave reviews, they decided to go out for the marketing and promotion for "Wonder Woman", especially during the last two weeks of May, and right up to the release of the film in the first weekend of June.

That's what I was pointing out, but apparently you didn't read the post.

3 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

and again. how did that hurt anything?

I personally dont believe it helped because the movie is so far out. Also someone mentioned its like when movies buy super bowl ad time for their trailers. Id agree but once again. this wasnt a new trailer and most super bowl trailer are somewhat new.