Plain Old Tele

What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

1 hour ago, That One Guy said:

...Once again, there are zero statistics to back up that the GA wants a Superman sequel. 

Ignore the 'superman' part for a second: audiences will flock to a SH film that just has a coherent story at this point, which neither MoS or BvS had and their legs were affected accordingly. As much as conveyor belt of MCU films wears me out, it understands that basic tenet at least.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, baumer said:

MOS had a weak multiplier, especially if you include the presales.  But domestic is not where the problem is at...making close to 300 million is fine....but internationally it did piss poor.  And when you make 668 on a budget of 225, then perhaps the film didn't quite do what WB had hoped it would.

The first Batman movie in Nolans trilogy "Batman Begins" made even less. MoS was the starter of the DCEU. Its so obvious a Superman sequel will make more than MoS. Now that they know this Supes and Cavill in the role.

13 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

WB shouldn't make another Superman Film because the Fans are gonna be Hard to satisfy.

Of course the should and they are doing one with the Vaughn news.

Edited by mredman

2 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Ignore the 'superman' part for a second: audiences will flock to a SH film that just has a coherent story at this point, which neither MoS or BvS had. As much as conveyor belt of MCU films wears me out, it understands that basic tenet at least.

how did MoS not have a coherent story. BvS did too. The only thing that confused people was the dream sequence. Rest was a coherent as you can get really

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

Without the Walmart previews, yes.

How can anyone include the Walmart previews into MOS  multiplier?

I mean it was a totally different event hosted by Walmart who had Purchased a crate of tickets for $12mil.

The whole draw of the event wasn't even in WB Marketing but yet in Walmart Commercials.

1 minute ago, mredman said:

how did MoS not have a coherent story. BvS did too. The only thing that confused people was the dream sequence. Rest was a coherent as you can get really

It's not about confusion, it's about storytelling choices not complementing characters' actions and motivations in any given scene. Snyder is really bad at that stuff because he can rarely think beyond creating a cool-looking composition.

There's no point in rehashing the many ways the two films suck on a script level — God knows the internet's done that enough — but if WB want to save Superman that's ground zero.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, mredman said:

The first Batman movie in Nolans trilogy "Batman Begins" made even less. MoS was the starter of the DCEU. Its so obvious a Superman sequel will make more than MoS. Now that they know this Supes and Cavill in the role.

Of course the should and they are doing one with the Vaughn news.

I know that they are I'm just more concerned with the films reception as Ot would seems most Superman Fans doesn't know what they want from the character.

MOS was everything I wanted from the character Superman Returns was not ,yet I'm told I like the wrong movie.

yeah sure BvS and MoS have problems but I don't think any of them have anything to do with being incoherent. Certainly can't see how they are less coherent than say Civil War or any number of other MCU movies

It's not about confusion, it's about storytelling choices not complementing characters' actions and motivations in any given scene. Snyder is really bad at that stuff because he can rarely think beyond creating a cool-looking composition.

There's no point in rehashing the many ways the two films suck on a script level — God knows the internet's done that enough — but if WB want to save Superman that's ground zero.

Eh! Mos was completely coherent. And bvs was as coherent as civil war. I don't think that is the problem.

2 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

yeah sure BvS and MoS have problems but I don't think any of them have anything to do with being incoherent. Certainly can't see how they are less coherent than say Civil War or any number of other MCU movies

Well Civil War sucks for similar issues — motivations are all over the goddamn shop — so I agree with you!

Personally I like Cavil as Superman. And I like a lot of what they have done with the character. He is certainly more compelling than Affleck's Batman. I honestly wish they had made a straight MoS sequel instead of BvS because my favorite moments in BvS are the Superman centric ones. 

2 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

It's all about what supports your narrative.

i had no problem following the Original cut of BVS but many feel it wasn't coherent.

I saw 3 Story lines end up in one place.

Growing up I always thought that what a coherent story was but I guess the rules has changed.

1 hour ago, Hades said:

Marvel are not going to fool the general audience.  Avengers 4 will be seen as Infinity wars part 2. It will suffer that part 2 box office drop. 

Marvel/Disney are getting scared by the success of WW. They had marketing for Thor: Ragnarok during game 2 of the NBA Finals last night. The movie is 5 months away. They might be sacrificing Thor 3 and pumping out its marketing campaign early to try to drown out Justice League.

I can't recall ever seeing a movie being marketed in this type of way. Very odd.

3 hours ago, Brainiac5 said:

How can anyone include the Walmart previews into MOS  multiplier?

I mean it was a totally different event hosted by Walmart who had Purchased a crate of tickets for $12mil.

The whole draw of the event wasn't even in WB Marketing but yet in Walmart Commercials.

Then take the Walmart previews out of the total.  You can't have it both ways.

• Like 1

Well Civil War sucks for similar issues — motivations are all over the goddamn shop — so I agree with you!

I don't think CW had a incoherent story I just believe the films execution was weak.

1 minute ago, zapzapped said:

Marvel/Disney are getting scared by the success of WW. They had marketing for Thor: Ragnarok during game 2 of the NBA Finals last night. The movie is 5 months away. They might be sacrificing Thor 3 and pumping out its marketing campaign early to try to drown out Justice League.

I can't recall ever seeing a movie being marketed in this type of way. Very odd.

I'm sure they had planned the Ragnarok spot before ever considering whether they had anything to worry about with WW

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Personally I like Cavil as Superman. And I like a lot of what they have done with the character. He is certainly more compelling than Affleck's Batman. I honestly wish they had made a straight MoS sequel instead of BvS because my favorite moments in BvS are the Superman centric ones. 

Cavill has the chops to be Clark/Superman. Its Snyder's vision of Superman that is flawed. At least from what we know right now. Its possible his intentions were to make Superman in MoS a more rookie superhero only to make him come around in Justice League as the hero that he should be. I doubt it though.

• Like 1