Dementeleus

What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

2 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Let's be honest here, Infinity War Part 2 is Infinity War Part 2

That part about them being "distinct" movie is most likely a marketing pull, seeing as currently, part 1 and part 2 movies aren't "in", they're out, they're not cool at all

They're simply camouflaging it

The 2 movies will have the same antagonist (does that remind you of a certain end to a hugely popular series, comprised of a part 1 and a part 2, and which have the same antagonist?), that alone tells us a lot on their intentions.

Not that I'm complaining, of course. I will be there on OW :ph34r:

Star Wars IV-VI all have the same antagonist.  So does Lord Of The Rings.

Not exactly new.

3 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Let's be honest here, Infinity War Part 2 is Infinity War Part 2

That part about them being "distinct" movie is most likely a marketing pull, seeing as currently, part 1 and part 2 movies aren't "in", they're out, they're not cool at all

They're simply camouflaging it

The 2 movies will have the same antagonist (does that remind you of a certain end to a hugely popular series, comprised of a part 1 and a part 2, and which have the same antagonist?), that alone tells us a lot on their intentions.

Not that I'm complaining, of course. I will be there on OW :ph34r:

True. Curious around how they will end IW 1.

Can't have a Potter7 like ending as there fans new it's gonna end without resolving the story.

IW 1 will have to end more cohesively and IW 2 will have to be marketed smart.

7 minutes ago, God Emperor Tele said:

I assume Disney's spending upwards of 800m or more on the combined INFINITY WARs (production and marketing).

I would imagine that it will be over 900m (and possibly around 1100m).

Sony spent 531.45 million 10 year's ago on Spider-Man 3 production and marketing (after tax break/others think reducing the gross budget, probably closer to 600m before those), the total cost of Spider-Man 3 for Sony was a bit over 930 million.

The last 2 much cheaper Spider man combined:

Amazing spider-man

Net production cost: 261.56 million

Marketing: 187.45 million

Amazing Spider-Man 2:

Net production cost: 263.95 million (gross of 312.25 million)

Marketing cost: 167 million

Total: 880 million

Hard to imagine 2 movie with that crew list:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4154756/fullcredits/

Costing significantly cheaper than amazing Spider man 1-2, Feige and the Russos probably cost more than pretty much everyone involved on those.

Just now, DAR said:

Pirates looks like it'll be saved internationally.   And Covenant is just a disaster 

It was only green-lit because of the International, as are most tent poles.  Though in this case they knew about 80%+ was coming from Int'l.

4 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

My theatre has scheduled Thursday showings for The Mummy but not It Comes At Night

If they don't get It Comes At Night this weekend I'm gonna flip

Same. Even Megan Leavey has showtimes up. How big is your theater? 

4 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Not exactly new.

Lord of the rings were as much part-1-2-3 as it get, cut in parts for practical/commercial reason (runtime), same for the book when they were published to the movies. Many when making all time ranking put all of them together has just one movie. 

Everytime movies start with sequel in mind it is a bit of the case, the distinction made (of putting part 1 in the title or not) are pure marketing/presentation consideration.

The new star wars sequel was split in 3, if it become split in 4 or 5, pretty arbitrary cut-off amount of movies.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

How much did they spend on the last two Pirates? At least $600m for all of that so its definitely in the ballpark. 

I've been told by people I trust that they spent over 700m on production alone for those two. And that was back when 200m was still considered expensive. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

That may be but The DCEU stilll is stacking up well against the MCU films as of late.

Im not saying The Dceu will pass it but I'm am saying they are doing extremely well as far as income goes.

I'll be more impressed and happy if they can make hits out of their "lesser know characters", if they ever get to those honestly. 

8 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

Who knows, if they manage to do an awesome job depicting an underwater environment it would be something really fresh, I could see it breaking out.

I don't think having a great "underwater environment" will sorely help the film, especially when so much of it is probably going to be on-land anyway, but it certainly could be a good point for the film, of course. 

18 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

So in other words make it fit your narrative.

Legs are legs the rules applies to every film and there is no special case.

Theres completely nothing that's stops me from using the same Scenario for BVS as it didn't even have not one summer day and was 1,6 mil shy from a 2x.

CW just wasn't as good of a film as many think it to be there's no reason to keep making excuses for its multipler as it had no competition for nearly 3 weeks

CW, like DHP2 and AOU, was going to naturally be frontloaded with most going on OW, the majority of the GA had fun but thought it was average which is like what I'm expecting for IW. CW had mediocre legs, not good, great, or even okay legs. BVS should've done at least a 2x multiple and it also had no competition for 3 weeks. It stayed in theaters for about 13 weeks, MOS stayed for about 15 weeks and SS stayed for 16. MOS after it's 12th week added about $230K. SS added about $700K. If BVS stayed as long as those two did it wouldn't have added the $1.6M it needed.

Edited by YourMother

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

Not exactly new.

That's... exactly what I'm saying

Star Wars Episode V is to Episode IV what a part 2 is to a part 1 my friend :rofl:

A direct sequel, with the same antagonist. 

As for LOTR, Peter Jackson never claimed that TTT was an "entirely different" movie than FOTR. ROTK either. They could have named them LOTR part 1, LOTR part 2, LOTR part 3, they didn't because they gave them their respective book titles, but they could have and it certainly would have worked. They have the same antagonist, it makes perfect sense that TTT is part 2 of the series.

It's the part where Marvel Studios act as if Infinity War Part 2 is gonna be an entirely different movie that bugs me, when we all know it's not gonna be the case. It's gonna be a classic two-parter, they just want to distance themselves away from it because of its bad public perception right now

I guess the same will happen to Justice League?

1 minute ago, DAR said:

Pirates looks like it'll be saved internationally.   And Covenant is just a disaster 

Yeah, looking at 705-745 imo  (including Japan which I have at 55-75). 

Considering dom came in 40-50 odd shorter than expectations and China didn't do 200-225 as early pre-sales hinted (is looking to do 165-170),

800+ ww expectations weren't unreasonable couple of weeks before release.

1 minute ago, God Emperor Tele said:

I've been told by people I trust that they spent over 700m on production alone for those two. And that was back when 200m was still considered expensive. 

See this is why we need perspective on looking at a gross number or even a budget estimate. You are never getting 100% accuracy and a decent portion of the time it's significantly off. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, God Emperor Tele said:

Whoa. I knew they were expensive, but $700m on production alone is insane. 

• Like 1