YM!

WEEKEND THREAD | Actual: Wonder Woman 58.63M, Estimates: Mummy 32.2M, Underpants 12.3M, Pirates 10.2M, ICAN 6M

Also how is The Mummy bombing? It's going to make like $30M OW and has made a shit ton of money over seas already. It's going to end becoming a profit. But if every tentpole doesn't open to North of $50M in the states, people lose their shit on this site and declare it a bomb. As if these films aren't also made for international audiences. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, iJackSparrow said:

Actually, I just think it's common sense. There are new horror masters in town. Do you want to make a cinematic universe out of horror characters? The first to be consulted should be those guys. I'd like an horror/monsters cinematic universe. But this feel way less toothless than something like Stranger Things. No wonder why it's bombing. 

It also helps that Stranger Things is actually fucking good

• Like 2

Just now, Mulder said:

Doctor Strange is as generic as you can get. It's only real unique flair to it were the visuals. Everything else was pretty by-the-numbers, not even a horror slant to it which is what I had expected considering the source material+Scott Derrickson getting hired.

It's subtly subversive in a way that very few superhero films were. Derrickson is a fucking genius in my book and that film was strongly well received for good reason. I love the revisionist history of some here, the way you say it seems like that film bombed and the public and critics hated it. 

Actually, I just think it's common sense. There are new horror masters in town. Do you want to make a cinematic universe out of horror characters? The first to be consulted should be those guys. I'd like an horror/monsters cinematic universe. But this feel way less toothless than something like Stranger Things. No wonder why it's bombing. 

When Get Out became a success, this movie was already in production+he's said he doesn't want to work on franchise stuff. The others you mentioned I wouldn't really consider the new masters of the genre.

• Like 1

Just now, iJackSparrow said:

It's subtly subversive in a way that very few superhero films were. Derrickson is a fucking genius in my book and that film was strongly well received for good reason. I love the revisionist history of some here, the way you say it seems like that film bombed and the public and critics hated it. 

Doctor Strange was never the most unanimously loved film. It's very safe and by the numbers for the most part.

Just now, Daxtreme said:

It also helps that Stranger Things is actually fucking good

Don't get me wrong, I fucking love Stranger Things. But when a kids horror series seem to deliver more scares than a Mummy reboot that it's supposed to kickstart a "monsters cinematic universe" at the face value alone, something is off. 

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, I fucking love Stranger Things. But when a kids horror series seem to deliver more scares than a Mummy reboot that it's supposed to kickstart a "monsters cinematic universe" at the face value alone, something is off. 

Except the Universal horror stuff was always more about atmosphere and gothic horror then gore. Also Stranger Things is not for kids, at all.

7 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The budget was only a reported $60m - so not a lot went into quality VFX.

Wikipedia (which I know isn't reliable) has the budget pegged at $98m. 

The Mummy's opening isn't good, I know OS will save it but for Universal, it's likely very dissapointing. 

• Like 1

Honestly they should have done another with Fraser, Weisz, and the rest of the gang back. Then have the next one take places decades later with his grandson or someone which sets up the Dark Universe, probably would have made as much or more than this 

• Like 1

I hope Universal executives come to their senses and keep Dracula Untold as part of the "Dark Universe".

Nothing in Dracula Untold contradicts anything in The Mummy, and vice versa. Besides, Dracula Untold actually went on to make 3 times its budget worldwide. So, it's obviously not a flop by any means.

I so much liked Dracula Untold. Luke Evans was great in the role and the action was good for what it was. Besides, movie was short and fast. While domestic grosses were weak, overseas clearly helped the movie in the long haul.

At this point, I won't be surprised if the Dark Universe is basically The Transformers universe. Every movie being rotten on RT, but making enough overseas to justify another movie. Even if Mummy flops, Universal could easily keep the universe going, because there's no need to get a sequel, but a movie for each creature.

By the way, I really liked The Mummy. Perhaps I was surprised because I went to watch it, ready to destroy the movie. So, perhaps the reviews actually helped me in that regard. I had a good time at the theater. My friends also enjoyed the movie.

Seriously, The Mummy's plot is paper thin. If you're a Cruise fan, if you're curious to watch a dumb action movie with some great scenes ( the plane scene was gorgeous ), then go for it. If you're looking for something else, don't even think twice, watch Wonder Woman again. I actually had bought tickets for The Mummy and Wonder Woman ( second time ) for the same day. So, I was expecting the Mummy to be shit, so I could watch Wonder Woman and forget everything, BUT I actually liked The Mummy.

I really don't want to go that way, but the idea of a "caucasian hitting a female Mummy" isn't really going well with several critics ( at least, from Brazil ). It's even worse, because the movie is coming right after Wonder Woman.  I don't agree with that, but I've read several reviews talking about how the female characters are bad and how much Cruise is saving them. lol

In a nutshell, The Mummy is a bad fun movie without being offensive. It offers nothing new, but it doesn't offend you, either. 

• Like 4

Such extremists.  Everything is always the greatest or complete crap.

Dr. Strange aka Wannabe Iron Man was fine.  Not great but fine.

WW aka The First Avenger meets Thor  is also fine.  Not great but fine.

Civil War though is of course the greatest.

• Like 5

http://archives.relevantmagazine.com/culture/doctor-strange-super-spiritual

Even my freaking mom loves Doctor Strange. That's how powerful that film is. It deals with stuff that we don't usually see in superhero films, and when it happens in other films outside of the genre, it's hard to get it right with such elegance and meaning without looking like it's preaching. Doctor Strange was fucking amazing. Its numbers and rotten tomatoes score tells the story. Same to Wonder Woman. Can't wait to take down those that try to apply the same revisionist history with Wonder Woman months from  now. 

• Like 1