YM!

WEEKEND THREAD | Actual: Wonder Woman 58.63M, Estimates: Mummy 32.2M, Underpants 12.3M, Pirates 10.2M, ICAN 6M

the-numbers.com is feeling really low about these previews

The Mummy started its domestic box office run last night earning $2.66 million in previews. This is well below expectations and it was already expected to struggle. To put this into perspective, it only earned approximately a quarter of what Wonder Woman managed last week and less than half of what Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales earned the weekend before that. Add in reviews that are just 20% positive and there’s a chance the film’s word-of-mouth will kill the film’s legs by this evening. At this point, a $30 million opening could be asking too much. $25 million isn’t even a sure thing anymore.

They are comparing to WW - a CBM (WW was not front-loaded for CBMs but front-loaded compared to non-CBMs like LOT on Friday: 2.55 preview=>14 Fri) and POTC - a sequel of a major franchise.

Edited by a2knet

14 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Everyone kept trying to push King Arthur as the Tarzan of 2017 but tbh I've been thinking this week there's a good chance that the Mummy is. Bad reviews, generally considered a mess leading in, a failed franchise starter.....but then it has a leggier than expected run for adult audiences domestically and does well overseas. This has a better budget, too.

But we'll see how it does today. Maybe it'll be more frontloaded than I expect.

I'd go along with you, but I don't see any sign that people actually like The Mummy as much as Tarzan.

Plus, Tarzan didn't have a competitor as strong and direct as Wonder Woman.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I'd go along with you, but I don't see any sign that people actually like The Mummy as much as Tarzan.

Plus, Tarzan didn't have a competitor as strong and direct as Wonder Woman.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Tarzan unusually backloaded.

44 minutes ago, a2knet said:

As to Mummy's legs, LOT too is rotten for critics (35%) and audience (59%) on RT.

Yet it did 3.28x off the FSS depsite Sunday being inflated (down 7% due July 4 Monday).

Not that Mummy should necessarily do that but if it has a 33-35 ow, I wouldn't rule out 100 dom.

But the Mummy's mancandy is basically +50yr olds and nobody has an adonis belt.

Spoiler

I'm not calling it "The V."

alexander-skarsgard-tarzan-af90f30d-be0a

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, stripe said:

Early Summer. Many kids still in schools, like in March

I am thinking something like this for the weekend

2.66M

12M

13M

9M

36-37M for the weekend

That's Oblivion's number....and that one never gets into the century club :sadno:

56 minutes ago, stripe said:

Early Summer. Many kids still in schools, like in March

I am thinking something like this for the weekend

2.66M

12M

13M

9M

36-37M for the weekend

I believe Deadline reported 50% of K-12 was off inn monday, will be 85% next Monday. So more off than spring break, but not a super crazy difference 

Seems okayish for The Mummy, I guess.

11 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Tarzan unusually backloaded.

Weekend wise a bit I believe. It had a good second weekend drop, though it was a flop regardless. I doubt The Mummy is even as well received especially since a lot of the complaints I've heard are regarding how it's clearly trying to set up the dark universe and doing a poor job at it.

23 minutes ago, Cookson said:

So 30ow and 80dom. Yet another franchise that needs the overseas to save it.

like with kong and pirates, china could be over dom.

looking at 55-57 ow there. so 1.6x (say due to bad wom) will take it to 90 in china.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Oh damn, the Twink Peaks revival trailer is SWEET. It's cool trying to recognize characters from the 6 or 7 episodes ive seen

It's cool that they finally delivered on all that Harry/Cooper chemistry but the dark lighting and lack of Badalamenti tunes ruined the execution a little. Still 14 hours to go though.