YM!

WEEKEND THREAD | Actual: Wonder Woman 58.63M, Estimates: Mummy 32.2M, Underpants 12.3M, Pirates 10.2M, ICAN 6M

Just now, Nova said:

Between Han Solo, Deadpool 2, Oceans 8, Bumble Bee, Incredibles 2 and Jurassic World 2....one or two of those films will have to move...otherwise quite a few of them will suffer greatly from the blood bath. 

Ocean's 8 would benefit from an August slot. It's the only one of the mentioned that likely doesn't need a huge OW to be a hit 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

June 2018 could have a potential three $300M+ grossers (Deadpool 2, Incredibles 2, Jurassic World 2), which would be a first for a single month since the sequel battle of May 2007.

Just now, YourMother said:

I have a gut feeling everything beside Mulan and Grinch will underperform in November mainly Phoenix, Ralph 2 and Beasts 2.

Pretty sure Mulan's getting moved back, there's been little to no word on it moving forward and it doesn't even have a cast yet.

• Like 2

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

I don't think either X-Men movie hits 120 next year. I don't think the Dark Phoenix one is even coming out, but even if it does, this franchise should have ended with Logan, outside of the Deadpool stuff. No one gives a shit anymore. DOFP and Logan were both perfect conclusions to their respective arcs, and Apocalypse felt like a death kneel. And I'm not hater, I tend to like the average X-Men movie more than pretty much any other superhero shit. But this franchise is dead outside of Wolverine and Deadpool.

tumblr_inline_ms3dvl839E1qz4rgp.gif

Be prepared to be surprised by The New Mutants.

Also yes, Dark Phoenix is happening.

And yes, some of us still give a f*cking shit #$%$&%**&%%#%$@

...Sorry

:sadben:

• Like 5

Just now, Jonwo said:

Ocean's 8 would benefit from an August slot. It's the only one of the mentioned that likely doesn't need a huge OW to be a hit 

I'm still pissed that Fox didn't put Deadpool 2 in the first week of August slot. But then again I'm still amazed at how studios continually ignore that slot even when GOTG and Suicide Squad showed what kind of runs can be had when released there. 

• Like 5

Just now, Nova said:

I'm still pissed that Fox didn't put Deadpool 2 in the first week of August slot. But then again I'm still amazed at how studios continually ignore that slot even when GOTG and Suicide Squad showed what kind of runs can be had when released there. 

They should switch the release date with The Predator. Ocean's 8 should get Meg's slot and Meg moves back two weeks 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

Between Han Solo, Deadpool 2, Oceans 8, Bumble Bee, Incredibles 2 and Jurassic World 2....one or two of those films will have to move...otherwise quite a few of them will suffer greatly from the blood bath. 

Bumble Bee and Oceans 8 should move.

• Like 3

Just now, Jonwo said:

They should switch the release date with The Predator. Ocean's 8 should get Meg's slot and Meg moves back two weeks 

That's what they should do. But they won't. Then again I'm not a studio head so maybe I need to stop talking....but no really June 2018 is a blood bath and the studios for some of the releases can change all of that to benefit their own films. 

Just now, UNDERDOG said:

I'm not gonna put all my eggs into the Animated Spider-Man movie, especially after having such high expectations of Lego Batman breaking out.

Now I'm triggered. However I think the Miles Morales angle will really help it.

4 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

tumblr_inline_ms3dvl839E1qz4rgp.gif

Be prepared to be surprised by The New Mutants.

Also yes, Dark Phoenix is happening.

And yes, some of us still give a f*cking shit #$%$&%**&%%#%$@

...Sorry

:sadben:

Yes, I am aware people who are big superhero fans do still give a shit. I mean the kind of general audience that made it a 200m+ franchise. I just don't see any reason why New Mutants does well. It's a team of unknown mutants doing the same super team up thing we've seen 100 times now. There's no hook there. And Apocalypse dropped huge from DOFP coming off the goodwill of that one and with Singer directing. I can only imagine what happens with Dark Phoenix, which again, don't think that happens by next November.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, YourMother said:

The Memorial Day spot is bad news for Solo. 

The only reason Memorial Day has done terrible in recent years has been due to lackluster releases. 2011 and 2013 did solid numbers because their Memorial Day releases were either highly-anticipated or high-quality.

Han Solo will likely break the Memorial Day 3-day and 4-day records if it stays there ($150 million 3-day, $180-185 million 4-day)

Deadpool 2 is the film in the most trouble next summer. Avengers 2 and Han Solo eating up tentpole demand the month before, Incredibles 2 and Jurassic World 2 taking up screens the month after. I wouldn't be shocked at 'only' $250-275 million DOM unless one of the above films moves (Han Solo the likely culprit) and Deadpool 2 takes Memorial Day for itself.

• Like 1

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

I just don't see any reason why New Mutants does well. It's a team of unknown mutants doing the same super team up thing we've seen 100 times now.

The horror element is going to really help it. Also not to mention the young adult/teen cast might make this a new YA franchise.

• Like 1

I think people are way over predicting That animated Spider-Man movie. Nobody cares about Miles Morales and Sony does not know how to market their movies well. Plus Lego Batman was way over predicted by everyone and it had far more backup than the animated Spider-Man movie does by being a direct spin-off of a really popular movie.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Holy crap, WW over BvS DOM is legit.

If JL goes over WW, which should be an easy possibility, I can't think of a single movie franchise that not only has basically had increases with each subsequent entry at five movies in at this level but also with each entry having largely different casts. And yes, SS was technically ~5mil less than BvS, but I consider that number small enough to count them as basically even.

So, WB all time DOM is below. WW has a good chance at #5 and Justice League has a good chance at going over that. I said before that the DC movies seem to have this weird trend of pulling people purely because they're DC movies, as opposed to the MCU movies which have really clear peaks and valleys depending on the featured actor/character. So if Aquaman performs anywhere near the seemingly steady numbers this franchise is pulling in for various reasons, then you're looking at 7/10 DC movies by the time Aquaman comes and this kind of strange situation where every new DCEU movie is just filling in another spot in the 5-10 range at minimum.

Rank Movie Title (click to view) Studio Total Gross / Theaters Opening / Theaters Open
1 The Dark Knight WB $533,345,358 4,366 $158,411,483 4,366 7/18/08
2 The Dark Knight Rises WB $448,139,099 4,404 $160,887,295 4,404 7/20/12
3 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 WB $381,011,219 4,375 $169,189,427 4,375 7/15/11
4 American Sniper WB $350,126,372 3,885 $633,456 4 12/25/14
5 Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice WB $330,360,194 4,256 $166,007,347 4,242 3/25/16
6 Suicide Squad WB $325,100,054 4,255 $133,682,248 4,255 8/5/16
7 Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone WB $317,575,550 3,672 $90,294,621 3,672 11/16/01
8 The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey WB (NL) $303,003,568 4,100 $84,617,303 4,045 12/14/12
9 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince WB $301,959,197 4,455 $77,835,727 4,325 7/15/09
10 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 WB $295,983,305 4,125 $125,017,372 4,125 11/19/10
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Now I'm triggered. However I think the Miles Morales angle will really help it.

Why would that help, exactly? I don't think Miles is a very popular character, atleast not as much as he was when he debuted.

• Like 1