YM!

WEEKEND THREAD | Actual: Wonder Woman 58.63M, Estimates: Mummy 32.2M, Underpants 12.3M, Pirates 10.2M, ICAN 6M

Just now, Mulder said:

Doctor Strange was never the most unanimously loved film. It's very safe and by the numbers for the most part.

Like Logan.

Even though introducing audiences to the complex & intricate & surreal & mind bending world of Dr Strange must have been quite the filmmaker s challenge only truly great artists are able to tackle.

All the scenes from Logan were riffs of things we ve seen elsewhere thousands of times, I like Greatest Hits too though.

Dr Strange opened  my mind to new possibilities and showed me things I ve never seen before in any movie.

• Like 1

Just now, The Futurist said:

Like Logan.

Even though introducing audiences to the complex & intricate & surreal & mind bending world of Dr Strange must have been quite the filmmaker s challenge only truly great artists are able to tackle.

All the scenes from Logan were riffs of things we ve seen elsewhere thousands of times, I like Greatest Hits too though.

Dr Strange opened  my mind to new possibilities and showed me things I ve never seen before in any movie.

mj-laughing.gif

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Nova said:

Doctor Strange is one of the most forgettable and overhyped comic book films I've ever watched. 

yeah I actually don't even mind the movie or think it's bad, but this is still pretty accurate

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Honestly they should have done another with Fraser, Weisz, and the rest of the gang back. Then have the next one take places decades later with his grandson or someone which sets up the Dark Universe, probably would have made as much or more than this 

Weisz, didn't even want to make the 3rd one, she wasn't coming back.  Frasier - I have no idea what's going on with him but I blame him for dropping out of Journey 2 and helping to make Rock the King of Being Added To Sequels which lead to his being in every other movie in production.

• Like 1

Update, Noon: Universal’s The Mummy is looking pretty dingy at the domestic B.O. with an opening between $29.6M-$32M at 4,034 theaters, off a first day that’s between $11.5M-$12.5M. Last night’s previews of $2.66M are rolled into today’s ticket sales. This is a horrible domestic start for Universal’s Dark Universe monster franchise with The Mummy on track to be the lowest opening among the studio’s previous Mummies and spin-off, i.e. The Mummy 1999’s $43.3M opening, The Mummy Returns’ $68.1M, The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor‘s $40.4M and even below the Dwayne Johnson spinoff The Scorpion King which opened to $36M. Per one rival marketing executive on The Mummy‘s cursed outcome, “Nobody wanted to see Tom Cruise in this movie.”  And we’ve heard that The Mummy in its production cost is substantially higher than the $125M-$130M reported before P&A; in the $195M vicinity.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

Weisz, didn't even want to make the 3rd one, she wasn't coming back.  Frasier - I have no idea what's going on with him but I blame him for dropping out of Journey 2 and helping to make Rock the King of Being Added To Sequels which lead to his being in every other movie in production.

She didn't  want to make one back then but years later now she could have  changed her mind 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

That's all kinds of bullshit

Not really. Easily the darkest of the Marvel stuff so far and used pretty much every facet of it's cinematic universe. It also had not the greatest legs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 75live said:

yeah I actually don't even mind the movie or think it's bad, but this is still pretty accurate

People are getting offended because I said it's overhyped and forgettable....that doesn't mean I think it's bad or anything. It simply just doesn't do anything and if you probably ask folks they'll have forgotten it even came out ie forgettable. 

• Like 1

I understand Universal wanting to bring back their classic monsters.  I just want a filmmaker to say, hey we going to make this one movie.  Hopefully if people like it, then we'll look for another story we can tell, etc etc etc

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Wait till Tom Cruise joins the DCEU then you'll see his real box office power! :jeb!:

[mod edit] To imagine that one day I was mildly excited with the idea of him becoming Iron Man makes me go ugh at myself. 

1 minute ago, DAR said:

I understand Universal wanting to bring back their classic monsters.  I just want a filmmaker to say, hey we going to make this one movie.  Hopefully if people like it, then we'll look for another story we can tell, etc etc etc

I burst out laughing when the Dark Universe logo appeared before the movie started.

• Like 3

Just now, John Marston said:

Update, Noon: Universal’s The Mummy is looking pretty dingy at the domestic B.O. with an opening between $29.6M-$32M at 4,034 theaters, off a first day that’s between $11.5M-$12.5M. Last night’s previews of $2.66M are rolled into today’s ticket sales. This is a horrible domestic start for Universal’s Dark Universe monster franchise with The Mummy on track to be the lowest opening among the studio’s previous Mummies and spin-off, i.e. The Mummy 1999’s $43.3M opening, The Mummy Returns’ $68.1M, The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor‘s $40.4M and even below the Dwayne Johnson spinoff The Scorpion King which opened to $36M. Per one rival marketing executive on The Mummy‘s cursed outcome, “Nobody wanted to see Tom Cruise in this movie.”  And we’ve heard that The Mummy in its production cost is substantially higher than the $125M-$130M reported before P&A; in the $195M vicinity.

12 + 10.75 + 8 (-25%) = 30.75 for Mummy probably.

Will take 11.1 for POTC. APOC did 9.9.

• Like 1