YM!

WEEKEND THREAD | Actual: Wonder Woman 58.63M, Estimates: Mummy 32.2M, Underpants 12.3M, Pirates 10.2M, ICAN 6M

9 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Hi, everyone. :)

This Wonder Woman run is so much fun to follow. Has anyone done a comparison of superhero films' Friday-to-Friday drops? I didn't get a chance to be as thorough as I would have liked when I was looking back at comps but I imagine it can't be more than a handful of titles (at most) with better holds. What a run this is turning into so far!

harry potter daniel radcliffe who are you new friends GIF

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator
5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Welcome back Dear Leader. I think the closest comp currently is Iron Man, which would have had a similar drop if Thursday previews were included in Friday in 2008.

I'm hardly the leader these days (sincere hats off to Water Bottle, Tele and everyone on the team for that), but I appreciate the ego-fluffing! ;)

Yeah, Iron Man was my thought as well. Really curious to see how it increases today. Other than First Class, I can't think of many proper comps for early June superhero movies. Seems like $300m is basically a sure thing at the rate it's going, IMO.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Frozen said:

The Mummy was the worse movie I've seen this year. Whomever wrote it should be banned from pens, computers, typewriters, feathers or any possible device in which they could use to write ever again. 

The trick is to keep the expectations real low...like when you are screwing a super religious girl...

11 minutes ago, Shawn said:

This Wonder Woman run is so much fun to follow. Has anyone done a comparison of superhero films' Friday-to-Friday drops? I didn't get a chance to be as thorough as I would have liked when I was looking back at comps but I imagine it can't be more than a handful of titles (at most) with better holds. What a run this is turning into so far!

• Like 1

Just now, Shawn said:

I'm hardly the leader these days (sincere hats off to Water Bottle and everyone else for that), but I appreciate the ego-fluffing! ;)

Yeah, Iron Man was my thought as well. Really curious to see how it increases today. Other than First Class, I can't think of many proper comps for early June superhero movies. Seems like $300m is basically a sure thing at the rate it's going, IMO.

The Iron Man comp should get interesting later on. I think Wonder Woman is pretty far ahead of it for now, but late legs aren't as good as they were in 2008.

I think it'll come out ahead in the end though.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Frozen said:

The Mummy was the worse movie I've seen this year. Whomever wrote it should be banned from pens, computers, typewriters, feathers or any possible device in which they could use to write ever again. 

The worst in years?  Did you see Nine Lives?

Just now, Shawn said:

I'm hardly the leader these days (sincere hats off to Water Bottle and everyone else for that), but I appreciate the ego-fluffing! ;)

I really think $0.3B is doable...I am tracking it to see if it can break BvS''s back but that seems too much even for the girl with never ending legs...

• Like 2

Just now, grim22 said:

Jungle Book is kind of like Avatar in that when it was filmed is kind of irrelevant to the movie at hand. It is a movie which will live and die by the VFX work. The post production on it is going to be very very extensive.

It sounds like the VFX is going to be stunning at the very least. Tintin for example was shot in 2009 and not released until 2 and a half years later. 

I wonder if WB will release at Comic Con? I think it's possible but more of a sizzle reel as I think they'll be more focused on showing the trailers for JL, It, Tomb Raider and Ready Player One. I actually wouldn't be surprised if the first JB trailer is with RPO.

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

giphy.gif

Nine Lives is a cinematic achievement. 

Legend says Francis Ford Coppola took inspiration from the cat, for Vito Corleone. Show some goddamn respect. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Shawn said:

I'm hardly the leader these days (sincere hats off to Water Bottle, Tele and everyone on the team for that), but I appreciate the ego-fluffing! ;)

You're essentially the Dick and Mac McDonald to Tele, Water Bottle and the other mods' Ray Kroc.

• Like 3

Just now, Jonwo said:

It sounds like the VFX is going to be stunning at the very least. Tintin for example was shot in 2009 and not released until 2 and a half years later. 

I wonder if WB will release at Comic Con? I think it's possible but more of a sizzle reel as I think they'll be more focused on showing the trailers for JL, It, Tomb Raider and Ready Player One. I actually wouldn't be surprised if the first JB trailer is with RPO.

Jungle Book vs Venom will be an interesting showdown for biggest October 2018 movie.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I actually did, and I didn't hate it? It is a Lifetime movie which somehow got a wide release, Kevin Spacey appears in like 3 scenes total and the rest of it is him as a cat, probably his easiest payday ever. The villain might have as well had a mustache he would twirl he was so noticeably evil.

16 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Sweet Jesus!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Wonder Woman. Her power. She can even bring the Creator back to us. 

(I promise I've been good, Shawn. Please ignore the giant banned list.)

:sparta: 

• Like 10

19 minutes ago, Shawn said:

OMG, Wonder Woman's run was so good, it even made Shawn return to BOT. Welcome back!

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 3