That One Girl

Life of the Party | May 11, 2018 | Warner Bros./New Line | Melissa McCarthy

Just now, Jonwo said:

Guessing there's little to no swearing. Weird it's been rated already.

It was shot late last year. Guess they want to take advantage of Mother's Day weekend but Snatched already claimed this year.

I feel like we're moving back towards PG-13 comedies with the recent soft performers and duds the R-rated comedy genre has produced. The only R-rated comedies in the last 18 months (not counting Deadpool or Sausage Party) to make $70M+ are Sisters and Bad Moms. Doesn't seem to be worth chasing the next Hangover or Bridesmaids anymore, I feel as if movies like Snatched or The House definitely would've been PG-13s about 10-12 years ago.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It was shot late last year. Guess they want to take advantage of Mother's Day weekend but Snatched already claimed this year.

I feel like we're moving back towards PG-13 comedies with the recent soft performers and duds the R-rated comedy genre has produced. The only R-rated comedies in the last 18 months (not counting Deadpool or Sausage Party) to make $70M+ are Sisters and Bad Moms. Doesn't seem to be worth chasing the next Hangover or Bridesmaids anymore, I feel as if movies like Snatched or The House definitely would've been PG-13s about 10-12 years ago.

I'm surprised they decided to make The House R rated, drop the swearing and it could have easily been a PG-13 rated film.

I think R rated comedy can work, even though it wasn't a domestic success, Bridget Jones's Baby did $211m WW on a $35m budget, they just need to be funny. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I'm surprised they decided to make The House R rated, drop the swearing and it could have easily been a PG-13 rated film.

I think R rated comedy can work, even though it wasn't a domestic success, Bridget Jones's Baby did $211m WW on a $35m budget, they just need to be funny. 

The problem with most of the duds in recent times is that they hardly seem to justify their R ratings other than for F-bombs and nudity (which are the laziest sources for comedy you could turn to). The comedy genre is in dire need of a shakeup for sure.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

Shannon Purser (Barb from Stranger Things) plays a very important role for the film. If the marketing team chooses to include the actress in the commercials (which they might have to because the role looks like it is really big), the film will be able to reach an acceptable gross just by the initial internet reaction to 'Barb''s casting. I think the Stranger Things fandom, as well as the number of casual Netflix owners and people who follow pop culture who will undoubtedly recognize her, should not be underestimated.

Edited by slambros
  • ...wtf 1

4 hours ago, slambros said:

Shannon Purser (Barb from Stranger Things) plays a very important role for the film. If the marketing team chooses to include the actress in the commercials (which they might have to because the role looks like it is really big), the film will be able to reach an acceptable gross just by the initial internet reaction to 'Barb''s casting. I think the Stranger Things fandom, as well as the number of casual Netflix owners and people who follow pop culture who will undoubtedly recognize her, should not be underestimated.

I don't think it should be overestimated either. I think it's a real stretch to say Barb's actress is a draw.

• Like 2