WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 130): Cars 53.7M | Wonder Woman 41.3M | All Eyez 26.4M | Mummy 14.5M | 47 Meters 11.2M | POTC 9M | Rough Night 8M

8 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Aside from me disagreeing about the entertainment part of it, I... disagree with the rest of it too. :) 

And here's the rest of the hot take you wanted... :lol: 

Spoilerized cuz really, who wants to read a nasty rant about some kid's movie?

Reveal hidden contents

I think you did a better job at hitting the points I was trying to get at.  I'm not saying every movie needs to be a drama analyzing the human condition, but there are a lot of formulaic products that are completely devoid of artistry/creativity and feel like a waste of talent.  Kind of like they pumped the movie out on a conveyer belt.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

it's the batman returns of their universe imo, not w/ tone just in its singularity. the marvel franchise is never gonna end and people in the know who agree with me (coincidentally people who agree with me i usually find to be pretty smart) are gonna keep it near the top of the marvel lists they do 3 times annually. 

I'd agree with it being a top 3 Marvel movie, but I don't think that says much.

• Community Manager
4 minutes ago, The Mummified Panda said:

I'm not saying movies with spectacle are necessarily bad.  And there's more to a movie having depth than just having heavy themes and such.

But I really think Marvel's the best example of this.  They continually make the same movie but just twist it a little and call it different.  They're entertaining to go and watch, but they're really devoid of artistry, and they're films you really have a hard time telling apart when you look back on them.

This isn't really new, every decade has generic movies that are just trend and formula following.  And the same idea applies to other art mediums.

Anyways, it's just some thoughts.  

I don't know I like Marvel movies and I think saying it has no artistry is calling them short. It's really hard in my opinion for a decent movie to really be devoid of artistry. I'm not saying they are artsy movies or anything close to that. Even if you think they are merely generic movies, generic movies do have some craft that goes into them or else they get panned by everyone.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

I remember the story of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2. Do I think about it? Sure. Not every movie needs to challenge audiences. In fact, many successful classics don't really do any challenging at all. What's challenging about freaking Casablanca? :lol:

Casablanca is not that good of an example, the play was made before the Americans were involved into fighting Germany, it was one of the most politically charged movie of the time that some  argue influenced the level of war effort and was a piece of war propaganda.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casablanca_(film)#Timing_of_release

The Office of War Information prevented screening of the film to troops in North Africa, believing it would cause resentment among Vichy supporters in the region.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/11/award-winning-film-reinforces-allied-war-effort-nov-26-1942-216182

http://brightlightsfilm.com/casablanca-romance-propaganda/

Although World War II began on September 1, 1939, as late as the beginning of December 1941, the time at which Casablanca is set, most Americans believed that the United States “should stay out of that phony war in Europe.” In fact, a Gallup Poll taken during the first year of the war indicated that an overwhelming ninety-six percent of all Americans wanted the country to remain neutral.1 However, by the time Casablanca premiered in November 1942, the bombing of Pearl Harbor had already occurred, and the United States had been at war for almost a year. Nevertheless, many Americans continued to support an isolationist foreign policy, and were uneasy about U.S. participation in a war that was thousands of miles away. To counteract this negative public sentiment towards American military participation in WWII, the Department of War established a “War Films” division, and hired filmmakers John Ford, Frank Capra, and Casablanca‘s screenwriters, Julius and Philip Epstein, to travel to Washington, D.C. to create a series of seven American war propaganda films, grouped under the umbrella title of Why We Fight. Warner Brothers also produced some six hundred training and propaganda films under the supervision of Owen Crump, a member of the studio’s shorts department.2

For a modern audience, now that the war is long gone and isolationist during WW2 is not that popular, it can be watched as a crowd pleaser, but at a time it was a tool to challenge audience into changing their mind about the role the US should play in WW2 against Nazy germany.

• Like 8

Just now, Water Bottle said:

I don't know I like Marvel movies and I think saying it has no artistry is calling them short. It's really hard in my opinion for a decent movie to really be devoid of artistry. I'm not saying they are artsy movies or anything close to that. Even if you think they are merely generic movies, generic movies do have some craft that goes into them or else they get panned by everyone.

I think of Marvel movies like Chipotle.  It's decent and quick food, and I also know what I'm getting. But when I talk about good Mexican it'll never pop up in the conversation.

• Community Manager
Just now, The Mummified Panda said:

I think of Marvel movies like Chipotle.  It's decent and quick food, and I also know what I'm getting. But when I talk about good Mexican it'll never pop up in the conversation.

I would hope so since Chipotle food isn't even Mexican food.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

rPNCqww.gif

I can't sell my soul to become one of those Jack Nevada, Ethan Hunt, and AABattery types who have now become Coolio groupies and just share your opinions

bs2cCT2.gif

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 8

8 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

What does this make Lab Rats?

I'm obviously biased but it was seriously a cut above the other stuff on DXD. :lol: Sure it was broad and a lot of the jokes were obvious if you're an adult but there was an underlying sweetness to the whole thing and a very specific angle of using the bionic goofy stuff to illustrate the process of growing up. And every so often you'd get a joke that even old grouchy grown ups could laugh at. 

So there. :rofl: 

• Like 4

I know that a lot of persons doesn't like the Cars franchise, but it's longevity is something REALLY impressive. I remember how crazy the Cars fever was back in 2006, I had everything that was related to the movie, it dominated toy stores. 11 years later, and it still everywhere, even the Frozen madness stopped a bit, but the Cars machine still going strong, it's easily the most predominant brand from Pixar. 

cars 3 thread was a good weekend to get highbrow. time to give my definitive Maya Deren ranking (i know people have been excited to hear my take on this)

1. At Land

2. Meshes of the Afternoon

3. Ritual in Transfigured Time

4. Meditation on Violence

5. A Study in Choreography for Camera

6. The Private Life of a Cat

• Like 4

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

For a modern audience, now that the war is long gone and isolationist during WW2 is not that popular, it can be watched as a crowd pleaser, but at a time it was a tool to challenge audience into changing their mind about the role the US should play in WW2 against Nazy germany.

I still think it's a good example. If you as a modern audience member who was not alive when it first came out saw it and agreed it's an amazing classic, you are not being challenged now. :)

Just now, Telemachos said:

I'm obviously biased but it was seriously a cut above the other stuff on DXD. :lol: Sure it was broad and a lot of the jokes were obvious if you're an adult but there was an underlying sweetness to the whole thing and a very specific angle of using the bionic goofy stuff to illustrate the process of growing up. And every so often you'd get a joke that even old grouchy grown ups could laugh at. 

So there. :rofl: 

Huh.  Most of this applies to Captain underpants but you don't seem to be singing your praises for that :ph34r: 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

it's the batman returns of their universe imo, not w/ tone just in its singularity. the marvel franchise is never gonna end and people in the know who agree with me (coincidentally people who agree with me i usually find to be pretty smart) are gonna keep it near the top of the marvel lists they do 3 times annually. 

I agree with you but you said this :sadben: 

• Like 1