grim22

June 23-25 Weekend Thread | TF5 45M, Cars 3 24.0, Wonder Woman 24.9 (10th highest 4th weekend of all time and biggest 4th weekend of 2017)

20 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Baby Driver has broader appeal imo.

Definitely. 

Scott Pilgrim was based off of a video game while Nice Guys didn't have that much appeal outside of men over the age of 30. Plus, they had more competition.

6 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Re: COVENANT (or even PROMETHEUS)... it's weird to get angry at them for "ruining the franchise" when there were four shitty movies before them. They're decent enough -- problematic and certainly stupid in places, but also with some great visuals, mood, and even some solid acting -- hardly the worst of the whole franchise or even close to it. 

Would agree with this. As much as I dislike Prometheus, and find Covenant to be underwhelming and mediocre, this is the franchise that's had Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection. 

6 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Re: COVENANT (or even PROMETHEUS)... it's weird to get angry at them for "ruining the franchise" when there were four shitty movies before them. They're decent enough -- problematic and certainly stupid in places, but also with some great visuals, mood, and even some solid acting -- hardly the worst of the whole franchise or even close to it. 

The other movies were not done by Ridley, for one, and they weren't completely bad...but they left you like "uhhh, ok...that was an interesting direction to go..."

Prometheus had Ridley back, AND he had a really cool concept. But like I said, the script turned into garbage and messed up the potential of that film.

Covenant could have answered those criticisms and continued expanding on the concept of Prometheus, but it just completely dogs it. There is a reason those films didn't have any legs, and that's because Prometheus was frustrating, and Covenant was uninteresting.

• Like 1

I remember that weekend so well.  There were people who actually thought Pilgrim would open stronger than the Expendables did.  

My reaction of course was:

Image result for look of disgust

• Like 6

My priceless advice:

1) master the art of refreshing honesty and moment of zen spontaneity (smart women will appreciate what separates you from all the wannabe players)

2) ask every attractive girl you see if they want to smoke ganja and get some chinese (the right ones will say yes)

3) have as much fun with beautifully flawed women while you can (wear a rubber dude)

4) If you find a girl who is eye candy, has an addictive personality, is honest/reasonable/loyal and truly appreciates you (warts and all) and you're over 25 years old, PUT A RING ON IT.

Spoiler

Ku6qalb.gif

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Greener Ranger said:

And then you remember she's in the Ninja Turtle movies.

So she's working and getting paid and making a living.  

Shame on her.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grimfandango said:

The other movies were not done by Ridley, for one, and they weren't completely bad...but they left you like "uhhh, ok...that was an interesting direction to go..."

Prometheus had Ridley back, AND he had a really cool concept. But like I said, the script turned into garbage and messed up the potential of that film.

Covenant could have answered those criticisms and continued expanding on the concept of Prometheus, but it just completely dogs it. There is a reason those films didn't have any legs, and that's because Prometheus was frustrating, and Covenant was uninteresting.

I happen to like PROMETHEUS and COVENANT more than A3 and A:R, but I guess

I find it hard to get riled up about any of them. The first two are legit classics and the rest are what they are. I mean, the franchise already went full fanboy ham when it did a crossover with another franchise, so it's not like there's a lot of respectability left in the first place. 

These new movies are Scott getting a chance to play around in the universe the way he originally wanted to, so I guess you (all of us, or that matter) should be happy Fox decided to go with Cameron first. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, baumer said:

Yea, well, maybe it's a bit over the top but that's the universe correcting itself after everyone complained that she was too skinny to be Wonder Woman or that her breasts were too small or that she was Israelian and not American or that her shoes were the wrong colour....or, well you get the point.

Don't forget the "she cannot speak English! I cannot understand a thing she says!" complaint... :D 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cochofles said:

Don't forget the "she cannot speak English! I cannot understand a thing she says!" complaint... :D 

She don't speak good English like we do.

10 minutes ago, baumer said:

I remember that weekend so well.  There were people who actually thought Pilgrim would open stronger than the Expendables did.  

My reaction of course was:

Image result for look of disgust

Argh, why do you people remember these things???

My worst club ever on mojo, okay? I was younger and my personal feelings got the better of me. ?‍♂️

Whatevs. I had a ragingly successful Black Swan over 75M club. Anybody remember that? No. Whatev.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, nomyth said:

Argh, why do you people remember these things???

My worst club ever on mojo, okay? I was younger and my personal feelings got the better of me. ?‍♂️

Whatevs. I had a ragingly successful Black Swan over 75M club. Anybody remember that? No. Whatev.

I wasn't talking about you specifically....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, baumer said:

I wasn't talking about you specifically....

Ha ha, I know. It's just I started that club for SP over Expendables and it was probably my biggest BO learning experience ever.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, grimfandango said:

I'll tell you why: simply put, AC shits on the legacy of the Alien franchise.

Alien: a perfect suspense horror thriller. Perfectly paced with masterful world building. One of the biggest strengths and a large part of the appeal was how it treated the characters: they are smart, and they react in a way we completely understand. We understand how they feel, and we believe the way that they react is in accordance with each person's character. Ripley is smart, strong and the way she deals with the alien makes sense. The screenplay is tight and consistent with the world that it builds.

Aliens: an exceptional action-horror thriller. A different flavor, but just as enjoyable. Again, the characters act in a way that is believable to the way we understand them. Ripley is again smart, brave and we see her motherly side in the way she interacts with Newt. The film builds upon the world-foundation that was built in the first film, and expands on it in an an understandable way. The internal logic of the film is pretty solid, and as an audience we buy into it without reservation.

After that, the Alien franchise starts to take off in odd directions. Plot-wise, they are essentially a re-hash of Aliens but start playing with the rules built in the previous two films, and audiences don't react as well. There are a lot of plot holes and some non-nonsensical actions by the characters.

Prometheus picks up the Alien franchise by building off the appearance of the "space jockey" from the original Alien film. It's a tantalizing concept, because there is so much potential that can be mined from this piece. The frustrating part about Prometheus is that is does EVERYTHING amazingly well, except the script seems to purposely destroy the integrity of itself, plus starts throwing away the "rules" built in the first two films. The characters are interestingly created and given three dimensions, but then they act in ways in complete opposition to their character! The guys with the 3D mapping technology get lost. EVERYBODY is careless and foolhardy. The plot turns on plot-inventions that make no sense--like a medical/surgical system that only understands male anatomy?! One dumb move after another sinks this film into the mud. It's one of the most frustrating films I've ever seen, because it has so much potential and it just throws it away with a horrible script. What it does do though, is expand on the Alien universe in an interesting way, with the engineers being the keystone. It leaves with Rapace and Fassbender headed off to the Engineer's home world, and we are teased with finally getting an answer to the origin of man. At least the movie leaves us with that much.

Now comes Alien: Covenant.....and it just takes the worst criticisms from Prometheus and the Alien 3+ films, and instead of addressing those criticisms, it doubles down on them. It feels like Ridley Scott is saying "FUCK YOU, MOVIEGOERS! I'm the creator and director of this franchise, and I'll do what I damn well please!"

This crew is the most incompetent crew of ALL the Alien films. Within minutes of landing on a completely alien planet for the first time, somebody is infected (in a way that NEVER existed in the Alien universe before) because NOBODY follows any sort of sensible bio-hazard protocol. Not one person does anything that makes sense for the 1-dimensional characters we've been given. There are virtually no characters we give a damn about. This film set ups its victims in the exact way a teen slasher film does. The only mildly redeemable part of this film are the android stories, but even that is just meh. The other big F-U of this film is the way it handles the way we were left with Prometheus: are we going learn more about the engineers? NOPE!! We are going to kill them. All that cool technology that we wanted to learn more about? NOPE! What about Shaw? NOPE! How about the origins of mankind? NOPE! What about a chance to talk to the engineers? NOPE!

Not only do we get NONE of that, it now completely retcons the Alien mythology built in the first two Alien movies! WTF?!

So A:C basically becomes a teen-slasher flick set in space, while taking a big dump on Alien, Aliens and Prometheus. It really is just a big budget B horror movie.

Fuck you Ridley Scott...I only hope Blade Runner 2049 isn't going to screw up Blade Runner the same way.

So you wanted a re-tread of the first Alien movie.

Covenant actually has the balls to explore new territory and expand the mythos while having a riveting villain and incredibly dark narrative.

It doesn't sound like you went into the movie with an open mind. You had you're own strict vision of what a new Ridley Scott Alien movie should be that you couldn't appreciate what was given to you.

I think Alien Covenant will become more appreciated over time similar to Predator 2 and Batman Returns. Both were despised for toying with people's expectations when they first came out but are now highly regarded within the franchise.

• Like 1