grim22

June 23-25 Weekend Thread | TF5 45M, Cars 3 24.0, Wonder Woman 24.9 (10th highest 4th weekend of all time and biggest 4th weekend of 2017)

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Maybe they're trying to test the idea of having no critic screenings on the film and seeing if it has a positive or negative impact on the box office.

Actually...I wonder is WB is intentionally not marketing this movie and holding back reviews on purpose to show other studios that holding back reviews has a worse impact than showing the actual reviews.  That way, when every studio has a shitty tentpole on their hand, they almost immediately release critics reviews instead of waiting for them.  On the other hand, WB will consistently make masterpieces.  CONSPIRACY!

If it does well at the box office because it held back reviews and critic screenings, it can definitely lead to more studios going down that path. It's like how previews are rolled into the weekend now. Slowly, step by step, the critic screenings will be on the Friday of release. It already happened in India, critics don't watch movies till release day and their reviews come out Friday night.

Transformers... :rofl: I mean, even OS it's dropping big time. It's looking at maybe 600M WW. Still enough for profit, but after two billion making films, it's actually making Pirates 5 look good. And especially YIKES at the DOM fall from TF4. Paramount and Bay got exactly what they deserved for trying to milk these shitty films for as long as they did. Glad that everyone has finally caught up to the act. Now Paramount is forced to do some real change here. I hope to God that Bumblebee is an actually decent movie, because this is a franchise that has so much potential squandered by Bay's no-trying bullshit. Hell, I still enjoy the 1st movie, cause it actually tried to be good (unlike the sequels) and moderately managed to be so. What a non-event this was. Can't believe that its 5-day is actually smaller than TF1's 3-day opening in fucking 2007.

Wondie still rampaging through everyone else :wub: She absolutely is the (small scale version of) Jurassic World or Finding Dory of this year's Summer. At this point (their 4th weekends), Guardians 2 still had a comfortable lead, despite a noticeably smaller 4th weekend number, and w/the coming theater drops from Spider-Man, it's hard for Wondie to reach that #1 of the Summer position some of BOT wants it to reach. That being said, I wouldn't be shocked if it makes around the same 375-380M that Guardians is at right now. Which would be absolutely insane, given the expectations.

Cars 3 w/a pretty harsh drop for any animated film, nevermind one that opened w/just over 50M. I mean, Pixar films tend to have a little more frontloadedness than other animations due to the built in fanbase, sure, and we have seen 50%+ drops for some other animated films... but usually, they exist for rather terrible films (like Minions, Shrek The Third, or Cars 2). So Cars 3 being in that frontline... not a good wom indicator, even if its drop is better than the ones those had, although it did also open significantly smaller than them, especially the former two which went over 100M in 3 days.

AMAZING drop for 47 Meters Down. I expected 50% at the very least due to the not great wom, but it ended up w/a 2nd weekend number almost on par w/the much bigger opening (and better recieved) Shallows. Nobody can get enough of dat Mandy Moore and Claire Holt booty.

The Big Sick w/a great OW. The Beguiled not quite as great, but still super solid on its own.

Rough Night, Pirates 5, Captain Underpants and GOTG V2 also w/good drops. And, although its number is miniscule either way, Baywatch's 9.5% drop shouldn't be taken for granted either.

The Mummy horrible. Not Alien: Covfefe horrible, but seriously, another 60% drop in its 3rd weekend? It's still gonna end up around 10M higher than Covfefe, but a far cry from the franchise's worst days pre-2017. LOL at It Comes At Night too. And All Eyez On Me.... wow :rofl: Not surprising whatsoever, but it makes Covfefe's sophomore hold look good. It's THAT AWFUL of a drop.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Nobody can get enough of dat Mandy Moore and Claire Holt booty.

I haven't mentioned this but feel like I should: Mandy Moore looks FINE AS HELL in the first scene of 47 Meters Down. I was getting a semi in the theater tbh

Image result for thirsty gif

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

I haven't mentioned this but feel like I should: Mandy Moore looks FINE AS HELL in the first scene of 47 Meters Down. I was getting a semi in the theater tbh

Image result for thirsty gif

I never thought she was the best actress, but I've kinda missed her.

Just now, Napoleon said:

Doing a quick research and we find that The House started filming late September 2015 and it was always set to release June 2017.

Film bloggers :sick:

Next year - Ocean's 8 was filmed 18 months ago and releases only now. Uh oh.

1 minute ago, Mojoguy said:

SCREW Cars 3! Freaking toy commercials the movies are! How dare Disney try to steal WW's 2nd spot this weekend!

DM3 is going to DESTROY Cars next weekend!

Yes, how dare other movies succeed at the box office!

I say this before I whine about DM3 next weekend :kitschjob: 

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Yes, how dare other movies succeed at the box office!

I say this before I whine about DM3 next weekend :kitschjob: 

Come on $115M+ for DM3 and $20M for WW.