grim22

June 23-25 Weekend Thread | TF5 45M, Cars 3 24.0, Wonder Woman 24.9 (10th highest 4th weekend of all time and biggest 4th weekend of 2017)

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

I don't get the love for Catching Fire, it's so...inconclusive. It feels like there's a final act missing. The first movie is the one I really like. Granted, I'm moved more by story and characters, not action or vfx.

I prefer the 1st one as well. The 2nd felt like a rehash. "yeah, let's go throught this again..." It lacked the emotional resonance of the original.

Haven't watched the rest...

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Elessar said:

I prefer the 1st one as well. The 2nd felt like a rehash. "yeah, let's go throught this again..." It lacked the emotional resonance of the original.

Exactly like me

• Like 1

The first one feels like a complete self contained story. It starts with the leads getting selected, preparing and then playing the hunger games, winning and the end. The politics and world building is kept to a minimum. That could be why some people prefer it as it is fairly straightforward and coherent. 

The second one is where the politics starts to creep in and the author starts setting up the world and future events. The focus while still being mostly on the hunger games itself starts to shift to politics and revolution. Lots of new characters and side plots are introduce which detracts from the games itself. By the end the games are relegated to the background and the revoltuion is in full swing. 

For me it goes THG>CF>MJ1>MJ2

The books though are superior to the movies (far superior in case of the last 2 movies) but that is the case with almost all book based movies. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Goes to show "critic-proof" is a misnomer. It may take longer for some franchises than others, but eventually if you don't have anything new to say audiences will lose interest.

It is critic proof, because its poor performance is not the result of critics' opinions but - as you've said - the result of audiences' own fatigue with the series. 

Anyhow, I've got tickets for a showing tonight and a showing tomorrow in true IMAX 3D, because I don't know whether or not I'll have to work a double shift tonight or tomorrow night; I'll cancel whichever one I can't attend. 

Edited by BluRayHiDef
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, baumer said:

After reading the Hunger Games for my first time this past couple of weeks the film really dropped the ball. The book was pretty fantastic and the movie was just a sanitized version of what the book was.

maybe I'll pick up the books at some point because the movies weren't  good.  I felt the same way about the Potter movies and they almost stopped me from reading the books, but the two people I know read them said the movies don't do them justice and I should still get around to reading them.  I may at some point when I have time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Can someone tell me why people are mad at Cars 3?

Because it has an implausible projected Sunday drop?

Also because it's a box office disappointment in general.

I'd like to know too.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Because it has an implausible projected Sunday drop?

Also because it's a box office disappointment in general.

I'd like to know too.

Huh? How can you say it's a box office disappointment?

1 hour ago, Elessar said:

I agree...the 1st (for a non-reader) was fresh and the 2nd was very good, but lacked the originality of the 1st...I'd probably grade the 4 as...

HG - A-

CF - A- (but worse than 1st)

MJ1 - C+

MJ2 - C+

I mean, watching the last 2 got boring in parts, and there were parts you wanted to say "just move to the next thing already"...BUT, there were enough poignant scenes between the 2 to make them worthy of a watch...and some of the acting was still 1st rate...

If they had combined the 2 and just sliced large parts, they could have easily had an A- movie...and if they had even tighter editing, they could have made an A movie...the acting was there, the material was there to find, the emotional commitment of the audience was there, etc...

Random trivia...

Was looking at JW's bo run. It made 296.2 in the first week and 356.1 more after that. So even removing the 1st 7 days, it came close to matching JP's undajusted dom (~357, 1st release).

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, 75live said:

maybe I'll pick up the books at some point because the movies weren't  good.  I felt the same way about the Potter movies and they almost stopped me from reading the books, but the two people I know read them said the movies don't do them justice and I should still get around to reading them.  I may at some point when I have time.

Some Potter movies do the books justice...some don't...

For example, I thought the 4th movie did a very good job taking a tough book and "movie-izing" it...so if you had to pick one to watch after the 1st, jump to that one:)...