grim22

June 23-25 Weekend Thread | TF5 45M, Cars 3 24.0, Wonder Woman 24.9 (10th highest 4th weekend of all time and biggest 4th weekend of 2017)

17 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Just noticed after Captain Underpants we're going to go nearly two years between Dreamworks films. Guess they're finally doing the right thing and reevaluating their business model.

Wow, I had no idea that was happening. But I'm not so sure how much they're re-evaluating their business plan when two of the releases when they come back are Trolls 2 and Boss Baby 2. Can't imagine why sequels to either of those would be a very lucrative prospect. 

5 hours ago, Cochofles said:

I still think it's amazing how much the Hunger Games movies dropped between Catching Fire and MJ2. What happened? I never read the books and only watched the first THG. Is that last film really bad? 

For me personally, it seemed a mistake to spread Mockingjay across two films. I lost interest in seeing the second half because the first half seemed almost like a repeat of the previous film, and it ended on such a down note. (I never read the books either, so the fault could be mine).  I think it's harder to have two sequels in a row where the "villain wins", and have people come back to the third film for resolution, as it were. That's the way it felt to me, anyways.

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Wow, I had no idea that was happening. But I'm not so sure how much they're re-evaluating their business plan when two of the releases when they come back are Trolls 2 and Boss Baby 2. Can't imagine why sequels to either of those would be a very lucrative prospect. 

Doesn't they are under universal now. I bet there will be a new shrek soon.

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Well, who knows what will actually happen with those considering how much Dreamworks has dropped and delayed on short notice recently. Right now their next one is HTTYD3

6 hours ago, Cochofles said:

I still think it's amazing how much the Hunger Games movies dropped between Catching Fire and MJ2. What happened? I never read the books and only watched the first THG. Is that last film really bad? 

The last 2 "final" movie was already wasn't great by itself, and another big factor played here was SW7, SW7 didn't direct clash into MJ2, but it kind of suck out all of the market attention and destroyed all the buzz and hype that all other movies been building. Prior 1 month of SW release, many movies unperformed, including dsney-pixar own TGD, MJ2 surely is quite a eventful movie, but hardly anyone can stand out before a soon-to-be $900m all-time monster.

39 minutes ago, grimfandango said:

For me personally, it seemed a mistake to spread Mockingjay across two films. I lost interest in seeing the second half because the first half seemed almost like a repeat of the previous film, and it ended on such a down note. (I never read the books either, so the fault could be mine).  I think it's harder to have two sequels in a row where the "villain wins", and have people come back to the third film for resolution, as it were. That's the way it felt to me, anyways.

Spread the book was a huge mistake. MJ1 and MJ2 were sold as action movies but they had a very slow pace because there wasn't enough material to fill in two parts. And that slow pace and lack of action made the movies look boring, even for a die-hard fan like me.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Apollo2xx said:

Spread the book was a huge mistake. MJ1 and MJ2 were sold as action movies but they had a very slow pace because there wasn't enough material to fill in two parts. And that slow pace and lack of action made the movies look boring, even for a die-hard fan like me.

I enjoyed the first movie and loved the second. 

After I saw MJ1 I couldn't bring myself to care to see MJ2 in theaters. I watched it later. They could have easily condensed those into one single movie. 

I haven't seen either Mockingjay... but I also read all the books a couple years before the movies came out and was underwhelmed by the conclusion. Two films for a book I didn't really like isn't a strong selling point.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I literally had to think for a minute about whether I saw MJ1 or not. (I have seen it.) Never got around to MJ2 though.

In my mind the series ends after catching fire.

Er, I mean, the quality of the series at least.