Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

I would imagine Pixar is in constant soul searching, they have only one giant original hit in the 2010s with Inside out, Brave did well enough, but it was a trouble production with mixed result.

Compare that with the Monster Inc, Nemo, Incredible, Cars, Ratatouille, Wall-e, Up run level of ridiculous success. (4 of those that had sequels).

If Coco do so-so, Inside out could be the only giant original Pixar hit of the 2010 decade all together.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I would imagine Pixar is in constant soul searching, they have only one giant original hit in the 2010s with Inside out, Brave did well enough, but it was a trouble production with mixed result.

Compare that with the Monster Inc, Nemo, Incredible, Cars, Ratatouille, Wall-e, Up run level of ridiculous success. (4 of those that had sequels).

If Coco do so-so, Inside out could be the only giant original Pixar hit of the 2010 decade all together.

I think Pixar's pretty happy with the success they've had in this decade, original movies or not.

• Like 1

The Cars franchise is Pixar's Transformers franchise. It doesn't matter if the quality is there, they don't care if the quality is there. The movies make a lot of money via merchandising so they'll keep churning them out as long as they make a certain amount at the box office. I do expect a Cars 4 is 5 years.

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

The Cars franchise is Pixar's Transformers franchise. It doesn't matter if the quality is there, they don't care if the quality is there. The movies make a lot of money via merchandising so they'll keep churning them out as long as they make a certain amount at the box office. I do expect a Cars 4 is 5 years.

I don't think Disney will keep chasing those diminishing returns for another Cars theatrical movie. Maybe there will be a Planes special on the Disney channel or something.

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I don't think Disney will keep chasing those diminishing returns for another Cars theatrical movie. Maybe there will be a Planes special on the Disney channel or something.

I remember when people didn't believe they would make a 3rd because of the poor reception of the the second one. They might not get to number 5 but I do see number 4 happening on down the line. 

48 minutes ago, Goffe said:

Well, they should. Disney doesn't spend 200m on a movie for a 150m return. Next thing we'll hear is Pixar laying off employees and reducing their budgets.

You do realize that Cars 3 could be a John Carter level bomb and it would still make Disney millions and millions through merchandising? They don't give a double decker shit about wheater or not Cars 3 should actually exist as a movie and what does it do at the box office.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

You do realize that Cars 3 could be a John Carter level bomb and it would still make Disney millions and millions through merchandising? They don't give a double decker shit about wheater or not Cars 3 should actually exist as a movie and what does it do at the box office.

If there actually is a 4th Cars movie, I'll go along this line of thinking.

8 minutes ago, cannastop said:

If there actually is a 4th Cars movie, I'll go along this line of thinking.

I got along w/it the moment that they greenlit Cars 3 after the disaster of the 2nd movie. Granted, it made over 500M WW, but it had a massive backlash for being Pixar's 1st truly bad movie, and you'd think Pixar of all companies would realize that these films aren't really worth making given the reaction from the audience. But, on a bigger note than the 500M+ WW Cars 2 made, you have the success of all the merch - 10 billions in sales, if I recall correctly. That's quite a number. Of course Pixar would go on to capitalize on dat money and make another one of these films to keep the franchise relevant. And even if Cars 3 ends up bombing, it'll still make Disney a profit through merch sales.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

What everyone forgets about Pixar huge early 2000s run is that aside from Shrek, they were the only game in town. DreamWorks wasn't big enough and Disney was in their slump. Now you have all the other studios plus DW and Disney both putting up big / decent numbers. Animation can be huge but eventually there's too much product. 

• Like 3

The group of people that we're all geared up and rioting over the fact that Pixar hasn't made a gritty R rated movie when Dory came out last year are my favorite. Every time a Pixar conversation comes up they come to mind