Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

3 hours ago, teardropmina said:

WW did much worse than what MT/pulse indicated; well, hope the actual is higher~  

No it didn't. 

The numbers, if it continues to follow the trend from 2006, will be very good today.  WW will probably fall less than 5% today.  Which means it will drop less than 37%.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Why did TF5 drop so bad in China?

Did something about the movie turn off Chinese audiences more than usual?

That's a great question.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

So the Pixar loons/Illumination haters were onto something this time

Yep, they were right to say that this movie will only outgross Cars 3 by about 100 million domestically and maybe 300 WW.

3 hours ago, Cochofles said:

I am now starting to believe that, yes, GirlsTrip could indeed break out.  

I'm one of three who had it in the summer game top 15...so I hope you are right.

• Like 1

Contrary to some naysayers, the 150th Canada day celebrations were overwhelming;y well attended with almost everyone I know traveling or attending local events yesterday.

As a result watching a movie was not really in peoples mind at all especially at night.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Just take Fri and Sat? Why would you do that lol. 

Because Sunday is skewing the picture.

It is the worst fri-to-fri or sat-to-sat drop yet for WW with the exception of the opening friday to 2nd friday.

10 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Logan vs F8 of the Furious has been a really close race. Doesnt look like F8 can reach Logan anymore (which is good :D)

:bravo:

@grey ghost perhaps it just went out of fashion. There was way too long a gap between OST and Dead Man ( 6 years, I think) and the audience may have just moved on. Especially if they didn't remember OST too fondly. 

Edited by Valonqar

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

Yep, they were right to say that this movie will only outgross Cars 3 by about 100 million domestically and maybe 300 WW.

Oh, I certainly don't weep for the Cars franchise either. 

6 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

:bravo:

@grey ghost perhaps it just went out of fashion. There was way too long a gap between OST and Dead Man ( 6 years, I think) and the audience may have just moved on. Especially if they didn't remember OST too fondly. 

Thanks for responding but I was talking about TF5's huge drop (over 80%) in China. :P

11 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Why did TF5 drop so bad in China?

Did something about the movie turn off Chinese audiences more than usual?

It seems to be underperforming in most of Asia.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Elessar said:

Because Sunday is skewing the picture.

It is the worst fri-to-fri or sat-to-sat drop yet for WW with the exception of the opening friday to 2nd friday.

Why would Sunday be skewing the picture but not Saturday?  That makes no sense.

1 hour ago, baumer said:

@a2knet I kinda had a feeling you were going to be right when I was working yesterday and the theaters were ghost towns.  In Toronto, the streets were empty, my bus was half full and it looked like people were extinct.  I guess our national holiday really killed a lot of kids business here.  So, again, great read on your part.  

Thanks @baumer

Hoping it stays flat on Sun. Then 20% drop on Mon should not take it much below 20 on Mon.

(I think Rth once pointed out that Minions beat IO in Canada or came close. So probably DM3 is also being swayed bigger than expected by Canada.)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, a2knet said:

Thanks @baumer

Hoping it stays flat on Sun. Then 20% drop on Mon should not take it much below 20 on Mon.

(I think Rth once pointed out that Minions beat IO in Canada or came close. So probably DM3 is also being swayed bigger than expected by Canada.)

Well, yes, the minions are pretty popular here.  And with the holiday falling on Tuesday for the US, the numbers should be pretty good for Monday and Tuesday.  

• Like 1

Just to put a bit into perspective how huuuuge success DM3 is gonna be for Illumination.
DM3 has got an estimated $80m production budget. International numbers seem to be very strong ( it had the biggest OD for an Illumination film in UK, heading for possibly $100m plus in China) pointing at the very least at $800m WW.
In other words, it is gonna do at the very least x10 it's production budget.
Let's now look at some of the biggest animation films of the last year.
Finding Dory-> 200m production budget, 1b total
x5 its production budget
Zootopia -> 150m production budget/1b total
x6.6 it's production budget
Frozen-> 150m production budget/1.27b
x8.4 it's budget
Toy Story 3->200m production budget/1b gross
5x it's production budget

That's not to undermine any of those titles. Even If I wanted to, I really can't.
It is just to state how crazy profitable Illumination movies are even If they fucking "under perform".

• Like 5