Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

8 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Just to put a bit into perspective how huuuuge success DM3 is gonna be for Illumination.
DM3 has got an estimated $80m production budget. International numbers seem to be very strong ( it had the biggest OD for an Illumination film in UK, heading for possibly $100m plus in China) pointing at the very least at $800m WW.
In other words, it is gonna do at the very least x10 it's production budget.
Let's now look at some of the biggest animation films of the last year.
Finding Dory-> 200m production budget, 1b total
x5 its production budget
Zootopia -> 150m production budget/1b total
x6.6 it's production budget
Frozen-> 150m production budget/1.27b
x8.4 it's budget
Toy Story 3->200m production budget/1b gross
5x it's production budget

That's not to undermine any of those titles. Even If I wanted to, I really can't.
It is just to state how crazy profitable Illumination movies are even If they fucking "under perform".

I don't think anyone in their right mind ever disputed that DM was going to be profitable. We have at least another three installments coming before they're no longer financially viable. 

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

Drove by a theater at 8pm yesterday, it was dead totally 

Yep, I noticed the same thing at Courtney Park and the Silver City in Brampton.  Very very quiet.

Going by what the Saturday numbers look like, the top 10 opening weekends of Summer '17 so far:

01. Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 - 146.5M

02. Wonder Woman - 103.3M

03. Despicable Me 3 - 75-78M

04. Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales - 63M

05. Cars 3 - 53.7M

06. Transformers: The Last Knight - 44.7M

07. Alien: Covenant - 36.2M

08. The Mummy - 31.7M

09. All Eyez On Me - 26.4M

10. Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie - 23.9M

Kinda sad when only DM3 comes remotely close to 100M (and close is a debatable term in its case) outside of the superhero movies. But it absolutely cements 2017 as the Summer of the Super.

• Like 2

have a question to USA/Canada's friends here, how are the cinema in USA looks like? I mean, where are their location? is it independently existed as a cinema, or incorporated inside another building like shopping mall?  

Because here in Malaysia, all of the cinema are inside the shopping mall and most of them are just next to sub-way station or transportation hub, making a lot of convenient for moviegoers, and as far as I can remember, I never see an independent cinema existed here in my country. And I find that it's easier for cinema that located inside the shopping mall to compete with online streaming.    

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, baumer said:

Yep, lots of super hero fatigue when the top three summer openings will be super hero movies.

Audiences are sick and tired of all these silly characters in stupid costumes saving the world, y'all. :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Audiences are sick and tired of all these silly characters in stupid costumes saving the world, y'all. :)

I think 2018 will be the true test. We'll have 10 next years:

- 3 from the MCU (BP, IW, AMW)

- 3 from Fox (NM, DP2, Phoenix)

- 2 from Sony (Venom, SPTAM)

- 1 from DCEU (AQM)

- 1 from Disney (TI2)

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

have a question to USA/Canada's friends here, how are the cinema in USA looks like? I mean, where are their location? is it independently existed as a cinema, or incorporated inside another building like shopping mall?  

Because here in Malaysia, all of the cinema are inside the shopping mall and most of them are just next to sub-way station or transportation hub, making a lot of convenient for moviegoers, and as far as I can remember, I never see an independent cinema existed here in my country. And I find that it's easier for cinema that located inside the shopping mall to compete with online streaming.    

Most theaters are in zoned shopping complexes/malls off of major arterial roads but there are still smaller "town square" style theaters too. 

Some bigger cities have them in downtown office buildings where they may or may not be accompanied by shopping

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

To be fair, its not about the genre, its about the appeal.

Guardians Vol 2? The first was great, this looked also very good - success

Lol, another King Arthur? And it doesnt even look good. I mean who cares? - failure

Another Alien - okay, but what exactly is different? Doesnt this look more like Prometheus? - failure

Pirates 5 - oh my god another one. Who asked for this? Atleast it doesnt look bad - not a success DOM

Baywatch - Based on a rather stupid 90s show - and it looked awful - failure

Wonder Woman - looked good, but SS also had good trailers,hm...oh wait the movie is good?? - legs and success

The Mummy - Lol, no. Why is Tom Cruise in this? Oh my god this looks like sh*t - failure

Cars 3 - who cares?? - disappointing

Tf5 - Looks even worse than the fourth one. Im tired of this, they dont even try at this point - failure

Baby Driver - who is this director, what is this movie? Looks interesting...wait its fantastic? - good opening, hopefully excellent legs

DM3 - Another one. Ok, but what makes it different? Nothing? Ok, atleast my kids will enjoy this... - success but declining

This summer, outside the superhero genre, nothing besides Baby Driver looked fresh and new (so far). If you make a sequel/prequel/remake make it look promising, fresh and different from other installments. Otherwise nobody cares at some point.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Here in Toronto and surrounding areas you have a mix of standalone multiplexes and multiplexes inside malls. Most of the big malls have multiplexes inside them. Many of the standalone multiplexes are not connected to the subway but are close by  to major roads and public transportation (especially in downtown). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PatrickvD said:

Very good to see audiences not rewarding Illumination and PIXAR for DM3 and Cars 3. No one asked for these movies.

DM3 is still quite profitable. It's not even really in Pirates 5 "only foreign can save this" territory yet. Maybe by DM6 it will be, but not now.

9 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

We've known since April that this summer (first two months anyway) was going to be pretty mediocre. Strangely, watching it actually happen has been more enjoyable than I thought it'd be.

Only because Transformers 5 superbombed.