Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

Paramount was smart to sell Transformers China rights for $100M. For them the film pretty much made $400M in China before release. I don't share the same pessimism with the Bumblee movie that everyone here seems to. If the film is good it should be a success. 

5 minutes ago, CalifoBoy said:

Thanks.

But do u think that a final domestic of 400 million can already be rolled out or it still as a chance of reachin' that mark?

No it cant be ruled out yet but I think a more likely total would be around 390m. Next week it faces a direct competition and the few weeks after that there are likely going to be critical as well as box office hits every week. But a total of 390 would still be phenomenal. I dont think anyone expected that. Even i thought it would make 280-290 after its opening week. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, drdungbeetle said:

Eyez was a smash and grab. They knew they had put out a Lifetime tier biopic and wanted to maximize the score. This thing was never gonna have a Straight Outta Compton and this was the absolute best case scenario.

Transformers 5 is tanking even in its primary market (China) now. It's so poor quality that Bumblebee will underperform IT greatly. Transformers 5 will kill a franchise, Eyez will make whatever hacks financed the thing some $$$.

If the reported budget for eyez i.e, $45m, is true, then no, it's not making any money. Paramount will make money from TF as it got $100m upfront from china. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, drdungbeetle said:

Eyez still made money, despite being hated by people who actually knew Tupac personally. Alien Covenant and Transformers 5 had far worse runs.

So far it's made 42m against a 40m production budget. 

• Like 1

I'm feeling a Spider-Man Homecoming underperformance btw (relative to expectations and yada yada). I've seen a ton of people in my feeds posting stuff like "They're making another Spider-Man??" and "Why are we getting another Spider-Man instead of X?" (usually a female led superhero like Catwoman or Captain Marvel, a valid complaint tbh). There's alot more of that bemused pessimism than hype hype hype among a large contingent of the general audience. Most people don't understand the dynamics of how this is now part of the MCU or caught on to the good reception yet. To them, it's just another freakin Spider-Man. Plus, presale data is ehhhhhh, it's lower than WW and I don't really see why this would have a better presales to opening ratio than that. I'm thinking around TASM 2 opening but with far better legs. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I'm feeling a Spider-Man Homecoming underperformance btw (relative to expectations and yada yada). I've seen a ton of people in my feeds posting stuff like "They're making another Spider-Man??" and "Why are we getting another Spider-Man instead of X?" (usually a female led superhero like Catwoman or Captain Marvel, a valid complaint tbh). There's alot more of that bemused pessimism than hype hype hype among a large contingent of the general audience. Most people don't understand the dynamics of how this is now part of the MCU or caught on to the good reception yet. To them, it's just another freakin Spider-Man. Plus, presale data is ehhhhhh, it's lower than WW and I don't really see why this would have a better presales to opening ratio than that. I'm thinking around TASM 2 opening but with far better legs. 

Its presales data has been neck and neck with Wonder Woman. 

And im not trying to be an ass but if folks are complaining about getting a Captain Marvel movie instead then that means they're fully aware of the character (how many people even know who Captain Marvel is?) which means they should know that a movie is already in the works for it. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 2

Just now, Nova said:

Its presales data has been neck and neck with Wonder Woman. 

Right, which did 103 OW. I think that Spider-Man should be doing alot better in presales than that, though. So if it were to match it in presales, and then underperform a little on actual opening weekend, that puts it to like 90-95 OW. Most people seem to be predicting 110+. Plus, Grim mentioned that it's now 1m below WW at the same point. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

The pre-sales data does not support this and the strength of the reviews won't either.  

• Like 11

19 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Dont know where BOM is getting that number from but everyone else is reporting  a 15.6 figure. That number from BOM is most likely wrong like what they did with Baywatch last week or Transformers on Friday

either way, I hope it's true as WW showed the biggest up among top 10 on sat, meaning holidng power is there....

another, I found that WW just couldn't have one "normal/smooth" weekend in its run because at least one day in the weekend was either inflated or deflated for a reason,

2nd weekend- $58.2m(against inflated opening friday as thrusday preview added into opening friday)

3rd weekend- $41.3m(inflated sunday as father day)

4th weekend- $24.9m(deflated sunday against father day from previous week)

5th weekend-$15.6m(inflated sunday as 4th July)

6th weekend-???(deflated sunday against 4th July)

Edited by titanic2187
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

The Beguiled is a movie that exists. Well-shot, very well-acted, but I didn't really see any point to it. It's an entertaining 90 minutes at the movie but it's kind of just there tbh.

So another vapid luxure ad from Sofia Coppola.

Good to know.

What a talent.

Dior must be so proud to have her in their CU.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DAR said:

This should be the end of the Cars franchise at least theatrically.  I imagine if Lasseter has an idea they'll probably go forward. Though around the Disney fan community there are rumors that he will be retiring the next few years  and Pete Docter is being groomed as his replacement

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo

I need Pete Docter to remain making his stuff :(

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Right, which did 103 OW. I think that Spider-Man should be doing alot better in presales than that, though. So if it were to match it in presales, and then underperform a little on actual opening weekend, that puts it to like 90-95 OW. Most people seem to be predicting 110+. Plus, Grim mentioned that it's now 1m below WW at the same point. 

But you just said yourself that SMH has no hype or whatever and folks aren't looking forward to it. So using your own information why would SMH have stronger presales than WW if like you said, most folks aren't excited for it? 

Youre using anecdotal data to claim itll disappoint OW wise because folks don't seem excited for it but then completely ignore that data when talking about its presales.