Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

Illumination will rebound with Grinch and Pets 2 (however if they don't move it away from Homecoming 2, Han's wettest dream of sub $200M Domestic may happen). 

This is the summer of franchise fatigue. I honestly think if Cars 3, DM3, TF5, and Mummy had better reviews that might have done better. If audiences are bored with a franchise barring good reviews they'll keep on disappointing.

http://deadline.com/2017/07/the-house-rough-night-baywatch-comedy-films-bombing-at-the-box-office-1202123289/

the house sinks further to $8.7m

‘The House’ Gets Demolished With $8.7M Opening: The Unfunny Business About Comedies At The Box Office

This weekend Will Ferrell and Amy Poehler hit career box office lows as New Line/Village Roadshow/Warner Bros’ $40M-budgeted The House burned down to a $8.7M opening (figures as of Monday morning). For Ferrell, House reps his lowest live-action comedy opening from a major studio, while for Poehler, it’s certainly her lowest three-day for any major studio release that has featured her as the marquee draw.

2 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

http://deadline.com/2017/07/the-house-rough-night-baywatch-comedy-films-bombing-at-the-box-office-1202123289/

the house sinks further to $8.7m

‘The House’ Gets Demolished With $8.7M Opening: The Unfunny Business About Comedies At The Box Office

This weekend Will Ferrell and Amy Poehler hit career box office lows as New Line/Village Roadshow/Warner Bros’ $40M-budgeted The House burned down to a $8.7M opening (figures as of Monday morning). For Ferrell, House reps his lowest live-action comedy opening from a major studio, while for Poehler, it’s certainly her lowest three-day for any major studio release that has featured her as the marquee draw.

Variety just posted an article about the dire state of R-rated comedies right now: http://variety.com/2017/film/news/the-house-rough-night-r-rated-comedies-box-office-1202486209/

5 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Illumination will rebound with Grinch and Pets 2 (however if they don't move it away from Homecoming 2, Han's wettest dream of sub $200M Domestic may happen). 

This is the summer of franchise fatigue. I honestly think if Cars 3, DM3, TF5, and Mummy had better reviews that might have done better. If audiences are bored with a franchise barring good reviews they'll keep on disappointing.

I think Grinch will be a huge hit domestically but I think it won't do as well OS just because Dr Seuss doesn't do as well OS.

• Like 1

Illumination should scrap Minions and just make the next DM for 2021, give the franchise some time to breathe.

But yeah, this really is a mini-Shrek 4 situation.  A strong first movie, a massive second, a massive third (but disappoints quality wise and with legs), and a fourth that disappoints.

I think Illumination should continue to diversify though, franchises are good, but very few franchises have true longevity (on the lengths of SW, MCU, Batman, etc).  Pixar and WDAS got into the stable positions they're in because they haven't relied on sequels (although they're starting to, and that could eventually spell trouble).

I think the GA in general is just getting Sequel-itis.  Even out of the comic book movies this year, Logan isolated itself from X-Men and told a unique story, GOTG2 was a sequel to a fresh concept (and not an age old franchise they've already had multiple installments of), and WW for all purposes felt and played like an original.

I am starting to think comic book fatigue won't be a problem, it's going to be franchise fatigue.  Marvel and DC will be fine with their expanded universes if they can still make each individual movie feel like its own thing, and not a sequel.  Star Wars should also be fine because it's Star Wars.  

But I think this "franchise everything" mindset is going to coming back to bite studios in the butt.  Even something that seemed like a 300m shoe-in, DM3, is disappointing.  

• Like 9

Just now, The Panda said:

Illumination should scrap Minions and just make the next DM for 2021, give the franchise some time to breathe.

But yeah, this really is a mini-Shrek 4 situation.  A strong first movie, a massive second, a massive third (but disappoints quality wise and with legs), and a fourth that disappoints.

I think Illumination should continue to diversify though, franchises are good, but very few franchises have true longevity (on the lengths of SW, MCU, Batman, etc).  Pixar and WDAS got into the stable positions they're in because they haven't relied on sequels (although they're starting to, and that could eventually spell trouble).

I think the GA in general is just getting Sequel-itis.  Even out of the comic book movies this year, Logan isolated itself from X-Men and told a unique story, GOTG2 was a sequel to a fresh concept (and not an age old franchise they've already had multiple installments of), and WW for all purposes felt and played like an original.

I am starting to think comic book fatigue won't be a problem, it's going to be franchise fatigue.  Marvel and DC will be fine with their expanded universes if they can still make each individual movie feel like its own thing, and not a sequel.  Star Wars should also be fine because it's Star Wars.  

But I think this "franchise everything" mindset is going to coming back to bite studios in the butt.  Even something that seemed like a 300m shoe-in, DM3, is disappointing.  

Yuuuuup. This is why Dark Phoenix is going to perform awfully. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Yuuuuup. This is why Dark Phoenix is going to perform awfully. 

That one is easily going under 100M. The question is how much under will it go.

• Like 1

Just now, The Panda said:

They won't scrap Minions 2 simply because it'll still be hugely profitable but I think Universal and Illumination do need more original films, The Grinch is the only film that isn't a sequel and it's a new adaptation. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Panda said:

I'm even more mad now I didn't make the DM3 < DM club a few weeks back.  I had to make that stupid WW 4th weekend club instead.

I am even more mad I didn't make the DM3 < SFA non adjusted club I wanted to make.

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

The Grinch is the only film that isn't a sequel and it's a new adaptation. 

And people want come at Pixar for being sequel happy.