Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Apes and Dunkirk will also underperform. This summer everyone is saving their money for the hyped superhero flicks 

They're saving their money for one specific comic book movie: 

Spoiler

valerian1.png

:ph34r:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, grimfandango said:

I think it less sequel fatigue, and more crappy story fatigue. I've only got so many dollars and so much time to see a movie in the theater, so I'm pickier about what I spend those dollars and time on. I don't want to waste them on characters I've already seen who are in a story that's either boring or non-nonsensical. Besides being sequels, the other common factor in all these failed films are bad scripts/stories.

With Rotten Tomatoes being so influential now and people getting the word-of-mouth instantly via social media, audiences are more informed and now have two major factors to reference before going to the movie: If RT scores are bad, it means most reviewers didn't like the movie. That alone will drive away quite a few people, but if it doesn't--it makes people wait to see what the general audience responses are. If RT scores are bad, and word-of-mouth is bad, then forget it. Opening day might be the only day the studio gets a "freebie" on any more. We're already seeing that with Despicable and other recent movies where the first night opens OK, but the next night is already down and then the movie tanks within the first week.

I think (or certainly hope) this summer serves as a time of reckoning for studios: great writers and writing should be as revered as directors. In my opinion, Alien Covenant's shitty script killed its legs despite Ridley's directing genius. Transformers made NO SENSE AT ALL despite Bay's penchant for bombastic, amazing visuals; and it seemed Bay gave zero shits about having a good story for his franchise. Pirates turned Captain Sparrow slowly into a slap-sticky, bumbling less-likable caricature of his Black Pearl character. Cars felt like a cash-grab without the sincerity and charm of Pixar's better films.

Sequel-itis to me isn't the problem as much as just wanting to see a good movie. Alien has HUGE potential--I'll gladly see another Alien film if it has the smartness of the first two films. Transformers has so many better ways the story could be explored rather than cutting-and-pasting from every previous one--there's tons of material to source from there.

As for the comedies? Again, killed by bad writing. Hell, Wonder Woman was funnier than most comedies recently put out there, and SM:H looks like it will likely be funnier than them too. 

Excellent post. I agree with every single word. The time to start panicking is if well-reviewed good blockbusters start bombing.

• Like 2

What a mediocre OW. It could miss 200m.

2 hours ago, cannastop said:

I actually thought that Minions were an asset to this movie. Silly me.

The characters I'd say are an asset, but not the spin-off movie. But with this big of a drop, who knows.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, franfar said:

What a mediocre OW. It could miss 200m.

The characters I'd say are an asset, but not the spin-off movie. But with this big of a drop, who knows.

The Minions work best in small doses, the short they had in front SLOP was funnier than the Minions film.

• Like 3

Today, Wonder Woman will become WBs biggest movie since The Dark Knight Rises in 2012. Sometime on Thursday or Friday, Wonder Woman will become the biggest non-Disney movie (minus Jurassic World) since 2013. Currently Pets holds that title, followed by Deadpool.

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Today, Wonder Woman will become WBs biggest movie since The Dark Knight Rises in 2012. Sometime on Thursday or Friday, Wonder Woman will become the biggest non-Disney movie (minus Jurassic World) since 2013. Currently Pets holds that title, followed by Deadpool.

Can't believe it's been that long for WB, obviously for OS and WW, they've had The Hobbit films which did great business as well as Fantastic Beasts

• Like 1

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

600M OW for Dunkirk might be a bit of a stretch.

I'm not even sure $10M OW is likely. Thinking:

$1.25B OW (Beast's run) for Valerian 

$4M OW for Dunkirk

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I really hope Valerian is a hit. I'm in the over 200mil Club because I just want to put Good Vibes out there.

Same here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Yes, we all know you're a soulless devil that tortures animals.

So Wrath's an MRA and an animal hater.

Next we'll find out he's secretly a nazi.