CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

I think predicting Justice League to make a billion is a Once Bitten Twice Shy situation. People were predicting that for BvS and it ended 127 million short of that goal. It's kind of hard to keep throwing that prediction out there.

BvS already had Supes, Bats, and Wondy in all the marketing and it didn't hit a billion.

Adding Aquaman, Flash, and Cyborg won't help attract much more people.

JL needs to be great to reach the bigger numbers.

If WW had been BvS quality it would have died after OW and ended up barely reaching $200m DOM.

1 minute ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

Edit :P

It's in JL's F8 not to be a Beast. GotoGo below 850. :Shake my head:

Wonder if it will be below 820. If it gets Pirated and leaked in high quality will go below 775.

All the superhero talk aside, the true global juggernauts in '17 were released before the summer or will be released at the the tail end of '17.

Beauty and the Beast - $1.26B

Fate of the Furious - $1.24B

The Last Jedi - $1.5B+?

I don't see any of the releases touching the above globally in '17.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

BvS already had Supes, Bats, and Wondy in all the marketing and it didn't hit a billion.

Adding Aquaman, Flash, and Cyborg won't help attract much more people.

JL needs to be great to reach the bigger numbers.

If WW had been BvS quality it would have died after OW and ended up barely reaching $200m DOM.

I think at the end of the day it's as simple as it has to be a good movie, I agree. I predict it because why not? But I think it's almost impossible to predict Justice League without reviews. I mean we know Thor at the very least is going to get okay reviews, even if they aren't great they're going to be passable.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

18 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

I just don't think WONDER being huge is going to help Justice League much.

Of course it is going to help, just like BvS helped WW. This is the entire point of these "franchises" that studios are so eager to build now.

• Like 1

My take on CBMs is that there is no super hero fatigue among the people who watch it but at the same time these movies have peaked with bystanders. WW became a cultural event and may still fall short of $800 million. Logan did well but it didn't break out of the X-Men sandbox in terms of box office. GOTG2 had only a minor increase even after the last one generated massive goodwill. SMH is a breakout but it probably won't match Iron Man 3 despite Iron man being a part of the movie.

My Predictions For Top 10 WW 2017

1. Star Wars: The Last Jedi - $1.8BN

2. Beauty & The Beast - $1.26BN

3. F8 Of The Furious - $1.24BN

4. Justice League - $1.02BN

5. Spiderman: Homecoming - $950M

6. Despicable Me 3 - $940M

7. GOTG Vol 2 - $860M

8. Thor: Ragnarok - $830M

9. Wonder Woman - $815M

10. Pirates 5 - $785M

• Like 3

In general throwing more superheroes into a movie doesn't seem to increase the box office much; it doesn't feel like an event anymore. The actual box office of these films remains great of course, but there isn't much of a bump.

The Avengers is in a class of its own in this respect because it used this trick first, I wonder how long it will take for a superhero movie to beat it (domestically).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I totally wouldn't be surprised with a 160/380 run for Ragnarok. This is pretty much as important as CW to the MCU.

duuuuuuuuuude

That's close to THOR2 and THOR1 combined. Even CA3/TA2.5 was well below CA1 and CA2 combined.

o/u 250 for THOR3 imo.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 2

Y'all are gonna be in for a deadly surprise in November

With good/great reviews this can do 1.25-1.5 Billion

Lets look at the facts here: BvS under performed because of bad reviews we get that but take into consideration that WW and SS both overperformed. Man Of Steel, SS and WW had okay,good and amazing legs. They also got an average of an A- Cinemascore. So the DCEU isn't hated like some would like it to be. The GA doesn't care about director drama or sensationalist clickbait, they want to see a movie that is at least decent. So there's that.

This by nature will have better reception than BvS. People hated BvS for editing, characterizations and tone. JL is straightforward, more hopeful, funnier and will have a reformed Supes. Right there we will have a fresh rating. WB is clearly listening and is doing all they can to make this a great movie, hence the reshoots. BvS' opening weekend could have been 190+ but bad WOM killed the weekend. Good word of mouth spreads and will greatly help this OW. This won't have the same opening day but will have better legs throughout the weekend. We are looking at a 79 Million Opening day with drops that lead us to a 195 Opening Weekend. Due to more action and less talking, Chinese will cling to this one. 89 Million opening weekend is within reach especially with the more established DC Brand. Worldwide we will see increases in each market. May be small but will all add up.  480m opening weekend WW. 

Due to thanksgiving we will be looking at some serious demand. Monday - Sunday will be huge and will push us towards the 370 range!

WW increases will be a bit more steep because of the lesser known DC brand. SW will kill its late legs but overall with that OW we will be looking at 1.25-1.5 Worldwide