CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

Just now, baumer said:

Junanji is going to be huge.

I don't know how big it'll be (I don't expect anything over 90-100M right now), but it could also warrant 2 screens at some theaters. There are way too many movies coming out this Christmas for November movies to be in 1,500+ theaters.

7 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I disagree...I think Thor is actually going to get choked out pre-Christmas, but I think JL will hold a screen through the Christmas holidays...if you look at releases...

Thor Nov 3 - Out when Star 8 opens (only one super gets the Xmas audience and this one opens 2 weeks earlier)

Bad Moms Xmas Nov 3 - Tough Call - it may stay just to Xmas

Murder Orient Express Nov 10 - Could stay through Xmas - depends on quality and reception

The Star Nov 10 - Could stay through Xmas - depends on quality and reception

JL Nov 17 - Assuming this stays through NY rush

Coco Nov 22 - Not optimistic about this one - but probably only Coco or Star will be around for the Christmas goodies

Nov 30 weekend - No movies here will stay through Xmas

Dec 8 weekend - No movies here will stay with anything more than 1/2 screen through Xmas

Dec 15 weekend - Star 8 will get 4 screens for Xmas, Ferdinand will get 1

Dec 22 weekend - PP3 and Jumanji will get 1 screen for Xmas

Dec 25 weekend - 1 to 2 screens for openers

So, the way I see it, a 12 screen theater will look like this Dec 25...

Star 8 4 screens

PP3 1 screen

Jumanji 1 screen

Greatest Show 1 screen

Ferdinand 1 screen

Some other Dec 25 opener or Oscar bait movie 1 screen

Old animated 1 screen (possibly a share)

Old super 1 screen (could be a share, but I think it will be all JL)

Old adult movie 1 screen (possibly a share between the 2 bigs) 

JL having 4 screens for Thanksgiving and then keeping a screen for Xmas/New Year's sets it up for a big take...especially since the market is dead between JL and Star 8, except for Coco, which I don't think will be a player...

You are leaving out a ton of movies.  Jumanji isn't only getting one screen.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Junanji is going to be huge.

I think it has a good chance to be the highest grossing family film of Winter 2017 and do $200M+.

• Like 1

When the trailer for Jumanji played in front of homecoming my crowd ate it up. There were plenty of laughs and even the last joke about not going into the water wearing a backpack got laughs. And I know I'm not the only one who has mentioned this kind of reaction from people seeing the trailer. I think it's really going to resonate with families and little kids.

• Like 2

Just now, baumer said:

When the trailer for Jumanji played in front of homecoming my crowd ate it up. There were plenty of laughs and even the last joke about not going into the water wearing a backpack got laughs. And I know I'm not the only one who has mentioned this kind of reaction from people seeing the trailer. I think it's really going to resonate with families and little kids.

Yeah, you thought Transformers 5 was good.

I guess I'll just leave at it that.

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I imagine Bastards will be dumped and will probably only play in like 1.5k theaters or some horrendous number like that.  It was originally gonna come out in Nov. 2016.  No one cares about it.

If Bastards was being released by a lesser studio, I'd agree with you, but WB can probably get it into 2k+ (aka the theaters we're discussing now). They can totally hold future releases hostage.

Edited by WrathOfHan

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Same thing happened last night for my crowd. I was at the VIP theatre in markham so there were no kids there as well. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

At a 12 screen after it gets a 20% RT score...sure it is...

There's no way jumanjis just getting one screen. In fact it's going to be one of the widest released films of the holiday season. It's pure tent pole and they are going to do everything they can to make sure that movie is seen by as many people as possible.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, drdungbeetle said:

Yeah you know you're just kind of Daft enough to think that that's an insult.

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

If Bastards was being released by a lesser studio, I'd agree with you, but WB can probably get it into 2k+ (aka the theaters we're discussing now)

I'd say they would too if WB cared about Bastards.  But they don't.  There's a reason they're dumping it with all of the Christmas competition there is on the same day as Pitch Perfect 3 and two days after Jumanji.

Also, what will they hold hostage?  Ready Player One?  Tomb Raider?  Ocean's 8?  That's really not gonna work when it comes to releases coming out soon for them.

3 minutes ago, drdungbeetle said:

I know other people who had the trailer for it got great reactions. 

• Like 1

I mean...Jumanji...

Adults my age loved the original and aren't looking to see it again...

Moms are already insulted by the main female character's outfit vs the male counterparts - if there's any movie moms will pass on b/c they don't like the imagery, this is it...

Kids - not begging for it...my kids still don't know it exists...but they know Star 8 is coming...and want to go...most families budget about a movie (or two)/month...and Star 8 has locked the 1st spot...

Critics are gonna destroy it...

The Rock is no longer a DOM guarantee - see Baywatch

And loving trailers is no longer a go by - every time I was in a theater, people laughed at Baywatch, Rough Night, and The House...and we see where they ended up...1st trailers won't be enough to bring people in...

If trailer reactions are not a good barometer for what it might do then what exactly is? I mean if you were in a theater and a trailer played and it was a comedy and nobody laughed would you say that doesn't matter it's still going to do very well?

1 hour ago, drdungbeetle said:

[mod edit]

Im sorry. Who are u again? How many times have u been suspended already?

What does my taste in film have to do with me telling people that the reactions to the Jumanji trailer we're good? Like what the frig are you talking about Buddy?

• Like 3