CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

Moderation: Please Read

On behalf of the staff, I'd like to apologize for several things this weekend:

- first of all, we allowed the Marvel vs DC stuff to get completely out of control. We decided to be lenient at first because some reasonable discussion was happening, and then it all turned in a giant mess that was just a regurgitation of arguments we've all read countless times in other threads. I'm sorry. We will not let it get to this point in a weekend thread again.

- secondly, the spoilers/thread-ban kerfuffle revealed some significant problems with how we warn people and make sure they're aware of the warnings. Because of this, we have a new procedure in place for dealing with thread-bans. When one happens, we will formally give a zero-point ban through the warning system to alert the user in question (since this means they get an email they have to acknowledge before proceeding), and we will also post in the thread with that user tagged, so that everyone in the thread is aware what happened. There was a great deal of confusion about this over the weekend and I apologize for the hassle a lot of people went through.

The sum total is that although this thread turned into a dumpster fire a couple of times, it's given us some clarity about our process and hopefully we can bring that clarity to future threads.

• Like 12

11 minutes ago, grim22 said:

So we have Cars to compare to WW and Minions to SMH. Superhero movies are the new animated movies for this summer considering the actual animated movies are not doing great business.

Even Cars3 and GOTG2 are not far apart :). Cars3 will be at 2.7x with 145 and GOTG2 at 2.65x at 388+.

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Pure ignorance.

There are hundreds of Transformers stories explored in tv episodes, countless comics, novels and video games.

It has more mythology than POTC, The Matrix, Avatar, Jurassic Park, Back to the Future, Indiana Jones, The Hunger Games, Mad Max, etc.

Pretending TF is limited to toys is like pretending Batman and Star Wars is just toys.

It's still based on a toy line.

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I'm thinking next week, @MrPink spoils Wish Upon and gets banned. He tends to get these bans for the movies people care least about.

Soon, Valerian :sparta:

Spoiler

Since I don't like horror movies I could see the Dark Tower maybe? I tend to forget.

Just now, MrPink said:

Soon, Valerian :sparta:

IF YOU SPOIL VALERIAN I WILL FUCKING KILL YOU.

NOT THAT IT MATTERS TO ME SINCE I'M SEEING IT IN THE EARLIEST 3D SHOWTIME POSSIBLE BUT DON'T RUIN THE BEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR FOR THE INNOCENT MEMBERS OF BOT.

BITCH.

• Like 1

Just now, That One Guy said:

IF YOU SPOIL VALERIAN I WILL FUCKING KILL YOU.

NOT THAT IT MATTERS TO ME SINCE I'M SEEING IT IN THE EARLIEST 3D SHOWTIME POSSIBLE BUT DON'T RUIN THE BEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR FOR THE INNOCENT MEMBERS OF BOT.

BITCH.

Relax, I didn't spoil the opening scene to the entire forum, though you asked for it. :sparta:

Since I'm probably gonna see it a week early, you should be good. 

Summer weekdays stealing from weekends. It Comes at Night actually managed 2.29x despite the weekend drops being horrid:

Date
(click to view chart)
Rank Weekend
Gross
%
Change
Theaters Change / Avg. Gross-to-Date Week
#
Jun 9–11 6 $5,988,370 - 2,533 - $2,364 $5,988,370 1
Jun 16–18 10 $2,601,468 -56.6% 2,450 -83 $1,062 $11,124,631 2
Jun 23–25 15 $800,324 -69.2% 819 -1,631 $977 $13,043,493 3
Jun 30–Jul 2 25 $150,698 -81.2% 174 -645 $866 $13,536,229 4