CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

6 minutes ago, El Gato said:

Nah. I know several people who hate Spider-Man, including myself. He is very popular though so I'll give you that.

There are people who hate puppies too but usually they keep that kind of damning information to themselves.  :rock:

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, iHeartJames said:

wait how do you know that? cuz I always wondered how do people know when its gonna move up or down

Divide the number of fresh reviews by the number of total reviews, sorry for my english

Edited by raulbalarezo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, iHeartJames said:

wait how do you know that? cuz I always wondered how do people know when its gonna move up or down

Math

188 (fresh) divided by  200  (12 rotten) = 94%

188 (fresh) divided by 201 (13 rotten) = 9353%

RT always rounds up for a % so still would be 94%

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Those trailers are worth the price of admission imo.

You could tell the audience had got them plenty of times at that point. No huge reaction to the friend from work line which has happened at least from someone everytime I get the Ragnarok trailer. Black Panther got a decent reaction though. It was nice hearing a kid scream out Black Panther once he realized that's who it was. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I don't think Pixar and WDAS doing it as they don't have to but WAG might for the right film, there was live action in the Lego Movie and Sony already do hybrids with Goosebumps, the first two Smurfs films and Peter Rabbit

Right now the closest you're gonna get in terms of live-action for Pixar is the video footage of Fred Willard in Wall-E, basically.

7 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Pretty sure he married a studio execs daughter then essentially retired. This was years ago...

He's made some films, but he's also produced a lot of films as well, so he's pretty successfully well-off anyway.

On 7/6/2017 at 6:30 PM, Jake Gittes said:

I think technical aspects definitely play a big role. The proper mix of practical effects and CGI (just compare LOTR to the Hobbits), the score, knowing how to build up to an epic moment and then shoot it (down to the lighting, color, and angle) and edit it - the combination of all that in the hands of talented people used to be more prominent imo. Movies that still feel big today (MMFR, The Hateful Eight, The Lost City of Z) retain that careful approach no matter their actual budget, but more and more blockbusters seem to be chasing quicker thrills. I do wonder if there are 12-year-old kids today for whom something like Civil War seems as big today as Raimi's Spidey films did to me a decade ago. 

I know this conversation is super old but in my experience talking to kids (work at a summer camp), they like them but it's all the same. I've heard more talk about WW than usual for a superhero movie, but probably the most talked about live-action movie in the three years since I've worked there is TFA which IMO actually fits under that category, but I agree with that. I've heard more kids talk to me about Okja of all things than any of the non-WW blockbusters this summer.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, El Gato said:

Nah. I know several people who hate Spider-Man, including myself. He is very popular though so I'll give you that.

There-Are-Dozens-of-Us-Tobias-Funke-Arre

How can you actually "hate" Spiderman? Being indifferent towards, sure. But to the point of hatred? That's like hating the number 9... or something. I'm sure there are some of you out there but it seems arbitrary.

• Like 1

btw those Spidey numbers are insane. Wish I enjoyed the movie more but happy for Holland. 

(Secretly praying it doesn't get anywhere near GOTG2 or WW numbers tho for a DOM total, sorry guys)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Sitting down for movie now.

Will cry if I get Ragnarok trailer. Will cry if I don't get it.

Basically, this is going to be an emotional experience for @aabattery.

You're crying right now. Aren't you?

• Like 2

1). Spider-Man: Homecoming (SONY/MARVEL), 4,348 theaters / $48M-49M Fri. (includes $15.4M previews) / 3-day cume: $116M-$119.6M /Wk 2

2). Despicable Me 3 (UNI/ILL), 4,535 theaters (+6) / $11.6M Fri. (-60%) / 3-day cume: $37.4M (-48%) /Total: $152.5M Wk 2

3). Baby Driver (SONY), 3,226 theaters (0) / $3.9M Fri. (-35%)/ 3-day cume: $12.5M (-39%)/ Total cume: $56.6M / Wk 2

4.) Wonder Woman (WB), 3,091 theaters (-313) / $3.1M Fri. (-29%)/ 3-day cume: $10.7M (-32%)/ Total: $369.4M / Wk 6

5). Transformers: The Last Knight (PAR), 3,241 theaters (-891) / $1.9M Fri. (-62%)/ 3-day cume: $6.2M (-63%)/ Total cume: $118.8M / Wk 3

6). Cars 3 (DIS), 2,702 theaters (-874) / $1.9M Fri. (-35%) / 3-day cume: $6M (-39%) / Total: $134M / Wk 4

7). The House (WB), 3,134 theaters (0)/ $1.5M Fri. (-55%) / 3-day cume: $4.7M (-46%)/Total: $18.5M/ Wk 2

8.) The Big Sick (AMAZ/LGF), 326 theaters (+255) / $1.1M (+102%) / 3-day cume: $3.2M (+92%) / Per screen: $9.7K /Total: $6.4M/Wk 3

9.). 47 Meters Down (ENT), 1,740 theaters (-510) / $857K Fri. (-38%) / 3-day cume: $2.7M (-40%) / Total: $38.4M / Wk 4

10.) The Beguiled (FOC), 941 theaters (+267) / $780K Fri. (-26%) / 3-day cume: $2.4M (-23%)/Total: $7.8M/ Wk 3

NOTABLES: 

Kinnu Kori (INDIN), 144 theaters / $210K Fri. / PTA: $4,3K/3-day cume: $633K /Wk 1

A Ghost Story (A24), 4 theaters / $30K Fri. / PTA: $22,4K/3-day cume: $89K /Wk 1

• Like 18