franfar

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga (yes that's the subtitle) | May 24, 2024 | Anya Taylor-Joy is Furiosa + Chris Hemsworth

34 minutes ago, Squire said:

“Hate to be a grouch when legions of social media film bros are breathlessly worshipping at the altar of The Demi-God of Cinema, George Miller, but Furiosa is a big step down from Mad Max: Fury Road. Whereas the 2015 instant action classic had grit, gravitas and turbo-charged propulsion that wouldn’t quit, this fifth installment in the dystopian saga grinds on in fits and starts, with little tension or fluidity in a narrative whose shapelessness is heightened by its pretentious chapter structure.”

That’s the intro to THR review. Ouch. 

Don’t care if someone likes or dislikes a movie, but I kind of hate how so many modern day critics are terminally online weirdos now. Opening a movie review by mentioning “social media film bros” is so sad haha

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Squire said:

Seems MC hasn’t counted the mixed reviews yet. Weird. 

Still be surprised if the MC is lower than 80 when all is said and done. 

It has

82/100 now on MC, all mixed just entered 

Is at 24 reviews now, shouldn’t drastically change from now on

22 minutes ago, Scubasteve716 said:

If I see any reviews that say it’s not as good as Fury Road

All the mixed ones are saying precisely this lol. 

Which is expected to be fair, i though there would be more actually. 

It is disingenuous to think anyone is gonna be able to avoid the comparison. If you don't like the movie of course you're gonna say it's not as good as Fury Road (assuming you did like that movie)

• Like 1

My opinion that will get me nuked from orbit in a millisecond is that I really liked but didn't cum all over my pants love Fury Road, and frankly alot of this seems to take some of the better creative elements of that and make it a little more interesting. Or maybe it's just a worse version of a movie that I wanted to love, idk.

• Like 1

Reactions coming out of Cannes cannot be trusted, especially for a title like this where half of these "critics" are desperate to tweet: "LOOK AT ME, PAY ATTENTION TO ME, I'M SPECIAL, I SAW IT!!!!" 

Just now, Flopped said:

Reactions coming out of Cannes cannot be trusted, especially for a title like this where half of these "critics" are desperate to tweet: "LOOK AT ME, PAY ATTENTION TO ME, I'M SPECIAL, I SAW IT!!!!" 

These reviews were written a week ago

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Flopped said:

This is reviews, not reactions. And they’re mostly written last week.

Some of you should at least know how these things work before coming to say how it’s not trustable.

• Like 1

Most films get better reviews after Cannes anyway, it's not exactly the junket, Twitter reaction crowd. No County For Old Men and Inglorious Basterds didn't even get that good of reception there.

1 hour ago, TomThomas said:

So they let selected paid shills praise it on social media 2 weeks ago, but the actual reception is gonna be a lot more mixed?

Yeah, pretty much.  Which is why early reactions are not to trusted. They are not all paid shills, tholugh, some are just Mad Max Fanboys who they let see the movie in advance because they know they will love anything with the words "Mad Max" on it.

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Yeah, pretty much.  Which is why early reactions are not to trusted. They are not all paid shills, tholugh, some are just Mad Max Fanboys who they let see the movie in advance because they know they will love anything with the words "Mad Max" on it.

I don’t know what’s going on with Furiosa but the reactions and reviews for Wonder Woman 84 being released in waves, where the reception started high and got progressively worse, was just fascinating to watch.

4 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Why are you literally doing the exact same thing you mocked in the post right before this one?

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, dudalb said:

You realize there’s actual dozens of fully written reviews out and they’re mostly just as great as the early reactions right? You’re probably 10 days late to this tiresome discourse.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AJG said:

I don’t know what’s going on with Furiosa but the reactions and reviews for Wonder Woman 84 being released in waves, where the reception started high and got progressively worse, was just fascinating to watch.

The early reactions to most films are favorable,we have seen this time and time again. A matter of democraphics; the "geeks" reviwers are much quicker out the gate then the non geek critics.