WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

11 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

Am I the only one who thought that Apes 2 was stale and a bit ludicrous? (I just can't accept the concept of intelligent apes) 

I thought it was a solid B+ and a small step down from Rise (A-).

5 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Yeah, a common criticism from SXSW is that the story is pretty dull. That hasn't stopped movies from being hits recently, though coughTARZANcough

Stop. Tarzan is not a hit. Tarzan is as much a hit as Ghostbusters is a hit. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, That One Guy said:

You're right.  America just likes superheroes and unoriginality.

The top 3 movies overseas for 2017 are Fate of the Furious, Beauty and the Beast and POTC5.

The top 3 movies DOM are Beauty and the Beast, Wonder Woman and Guardians vol 2.

Tomato Law says American audiences have superior taste.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

Stop. Tarzan is not a hit. Tarzan is as much a hit as Ghostbusters is a hit. 

Based on expectations, Tarzan was a slight break out hit.

Financially it was a disappointment only because of the ridiculous budget.

2 hours ago, a2knet said:

People were worried that a trillion ton iceberg has been created after a patch of ice the size of Delware split from Antartica. At least CNN seems on the verge of a nervous breakdown....or should I say 'meltdown' :sparta:

Sounds like a Lex Luthor plot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hatebox said:

I do find it odd that SMH hasn't performed a bit better. A 300m+ total is great of course, but its drops aren't reflecting the good WOM it surely has.

SMH is one of those movies people are shocked it's actually good when they finally watch it on red box or home video.

But it's getting bashed on facebook and other non-comic book nerd forums, so I wouldn't say it's getting great WOM.

Raimi fans, DC fans, and the alt right all seem to bashing it like crazy on the interwebs.

1 hour ago, a2knet said:

I understand high critics score has nothing to do with wom, but high audience score after 10-days of release (once a wider base than just arid fans catch the movie) might indicate something.

Civil War only has 2.3 multiplier, and it has high critics score and audience score. Homecoming's performance is normal, not great, but not awful either.

Edited by jf8350143

3 hours ago, a2knet said:

Nice trivia from the-numbers.com : SMH will become the first film for Sony to do 300 after Skyfall.

More trivia:

SMH is the first Spider-man sequel to increase in DOM gross from the previous film.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Based on expectations, Tarzan was a slight break out hit.

Financially it was a disappointment only because of the ridiculous budget.

Lol, low expectations don't make a film a hit. Domestically it made $50m less than its budget. 

Ghostbusters makes $16m less than its budget and people attack it. :lol:

• Like 4

5 hours ago, DAJK said:

So before my uncle starts work on Black Panther, he did a few weeks working on the effects for Meg.

According to him "It looks soooooo awful". With a huge budget but basically another Sharknado movie. CJohn will probably love it.

I'm just curious.

Has he been right before with his predictions?

17 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

SMH is one of those movies people are shocked it's actually good when they finally watch it on red box or home video.

But it's getting bashed on facebook and other non-comic book nerd forums, so I wouldn't say it's getting great WOM.

Raimi fans, DC fans, and the alt right all seem to bashing it like crazy on the interwebs.

Ive seen countless posts and videos on social media that claim that SPH is "SJW propaganda".

I will see the movie today so i cant comment on that.

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Lol, low expectations don't make a film a hit. Domestically it made $50m less than its budget. 

Ghostbusters makes $16m less than its budget and people attack it. :lol:

So if Valerian made 190 m DOM that would'nt be a major accomplishment?

Apes 3 will at least open over Rise, but that's only a minor consolation. Could miss 150 with that OW. Spider-Man not Holding that well, likely because of fan rush and Spidey fatigue as others have said. It will still handily beat TASM 1 and 2, so Sony will be very happy, though centering the MCU around the character in Phase 4 might be a bad idea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PPZVGOS said:

Am I the only one who thought that Apes 2 was stale and a bit ludicrous? (I just can't accept the concept of intelligent apes) 

No. I' a Rise person myself. I cna watch Rise over and over. I've seen Dawn once and have no desire to see it again. It's not a bad movie, just, eh, too much unnecessary focus on human characters who carried no emotional weight of Franco and Litgow. 

• Like 1