WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

15 minutes ago, a2knet said:

This table is a good example of why Spidey is doing well : July Weekdays. Using a 61.5% drop (45 weekend), take a look at the 10-day-multipliers of those 3 films and Spidey.

Spidey is well ahead in legs after 10 days despite a slightly bigger drop of 61.5% compared to 58.4-59.5% of the other 3 films.

Movie   OW      Cume   10-day-multi

SMH     117.0    208.1     1.78x

CW       179.1    296.0     1.65x

TA2      191.3    313.4     1.64x

IM3      174.1    284.9     1.64x

See, analysis. Makes things clear.

• Like 1

I don't want to say that I thought SM:HC was petty bland garbage and that save a few scenes, I thought it was a near complete waste of time. If I did, it'd sound like I was some kind of whiny hater even though I was being sincere.

That being said, I'm not surprised at it's performance at all.

Well....I'm done tracking this particular theater...day over day increase Friday to Saturday was 70% and definitely more than previews+Friday.

I'm assuming walk-ups were enhanced thanks to being in a mall, but this theater made $35,000-$40,000 on Apps tickets yesterday....

I'm concluding it is an unhelpful data point for the overall situation..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 4

It's funny, we all shit on the ASM films, and rightfully so in terms of quality of film.  But the box office on those films were far from bad.  Domestically, yes, they faltered.  However, internationally, both films did more than Spider-man and Spider-man 2.  In fact both ASM's pretty much hit 500 overseas (495 and 506).  So they weren't disasters in terms of gross.  I'm curious to see how this one does internationally.  It should do 500 minimum, so a final WW tally of 800 is all but assured.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I dunno how to explain it.

Imagine if the majority thought Batman Forever and Burton's Planet of the Apes were the definitive versions.

That's how I feel about the majority treating the Raimi SM films like masterpieces.

So you've always disliked them?

12 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

you almost went a whole thread with spider-man discussion without whining about sam raimi. i was about to be so proud of you.

But ya'll couldn't resist sneak dissing me for saying Raimi insulted nerds.

Just now, baumer said:

It's funny, we all shit on the ASM films, and rightfully so in terms of quality of film.  But the box office on those films were far from bad.  Domestically, yes, they faltered.  However, internationally, both films did more than Spider-man and Spider-man 2.  In fact both ASM's pretty much hit 500 overseas (495 and 506).  So they weren't disasters in terms of gross.  I'm curious to see how this one does internationally.  It should do 500 minimum, so a final WW tally of 800 is all but assured.

Thats true, but you also have to remember SM and SM2 came out prior to the great overseases expansion (which probably really kicked off around Avatar).  Global markets began expanding rapidly around 2008 - 2011

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Yuck its like the Saturday business just died once the matinees ended.... So weird and out of step with what we have seen most of the year to this point. 

could it be attributed to D23 expo that distract moviegoers? but since when D23 expo be so powerful?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, baumer said:

So you've always disliked them?

Yes.

THe World Trade Center trailer blew me away and got me super hyped.

But then the first full trailer totally conflicted with my expectations and it was downhill from there.

Just now, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

Thats true, but you also have to remember SM and SM2 came out prior to the great overseases expansion (which probably really kicked off around Avatar).  Global markets began expanding rapidly around 2008 - 2011

Yes, I know there are all kinds of mitigating factors, but just dollars to dollars, the overseas numbers were pretty good.

• Like 1

Just now, grey ghost said:

Yes.

THe World Trade Center trailer blew me away and got me super hyped.

But then the first full trailer totally conflicted with my expectations and it was downhill from there.

Yep, that makes sense.  We all have films that we hate that the majority seem to love.  This is your equivalent of my Harry Potter. :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I dunno how to explain it.

Imagine if the majority thought Batman Forever and Burton's Planet of the Apes were the definitive versions.

That's how I feel about the majority treating the Raimi SM films like masterpieces.

I disagree.  While I'm sure Tom Holland is more true to the comics as Spider-Man (I did prefer his portrayal of the character and how it felt like he was an actual high schooler compared to Maguire), Raimi's films are endlessly more memorable.

Their effects feel slightly dated now, but they were great and whole feeling films.  I never got that timeless feeling from TASM series or Homecoming.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Yep, that makes sense.  We all have films that we hate that the majority seem to love.  This is your equivalent of my Harry Potter. :)

Yeah, I think if a movie exceeds our expectations we'll love it and if it diverts or fall short we'll hate it, fairly or unfairly.

Which is why some directors stay away from adaptations.

Too bad that's the only way to get paid nowadays, lol.

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Ive seen countless posts and videos on social media that claim that SPH is "SJW propaganda".

I will see the movie today so i cant comment on that.

Those would be DC comics trolls:)...

Seriously, the movie is about a teen learning what it takes to be a hero...not sure how anyone can't love that kinda story:)...

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

How much more profitable will SMH be than ASM2?

Was it worth the trouble for Sony to reboot again?

Considering an Amazing Spider-Man 3 would've likely seen an even bigger drop-off from the second than the second did from the first (especially after they had killed off the one thing - the chemistry between Garfield and Stone - that people actually liked about those movies), probably.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

I disagree.  While I'm sure Tom Holland is more true to the comics as Spider-Man (I did prefer his portrayal of the character and how it felt like he was an actual high schooler compared to Maguire), Raimi's films are endlessly more memorable.

Their effects feel slightly dated now, but they were great and whole feeling films.  I never got that timeless feeling from TASM series or Homecoming.

Well it's hard to say how much of Raimi's films are more iconic and how much relies on nostalgia and awareness.

I mean, is that Nickeback song really "timeless" or do we remember it because radio stations played it everywhere non-stop for 6 months? :P

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

How much more profitable will SMH be than ASM2?

Was it worth the trouble for Sony to reboot again?

SMH is $90m cheaper than ASM2 for starter...actually even more, ASM and ASM2 had NY tax credits

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

America and superheroes go together. Same goes with Star Wars.

If superheroe fatigue does occur it will happen ONLY in overseas territories like in Europe where superheroes are not that strong.

America loves the "hero" concept and "overcoming the odds" story lines in general.  We WANT to see that individual people can beat the odds and be great...

And we love more if these people aren't perfect, b/c then we can believe any of us could be those heroes...

Maybe it's love of our land of the free and home of the brave:)...fight to be free and and show the bravery - winning concepts for our movies...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Well it's hard to say how much of Raimi's films are more iconic and how much relies on nostalgia and awareness.

I mean, is that Nickeback song really "timeless" or do we remember it because radio stations played it everywhere non-stop for 6 months? :P

The fact you can't even remember the name of that Nickelback song disproves your point.