CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

10 minutes ago, BenedictL11 said:

It did get an A- in CinemaScore which could reduce its chances of frontloaded.

Plus, its previews started at 6pm.

I'd say its OW should be in the low 50s followed by good legs (no films will have an IMAX release until Kingsman 2 in late September). After all, Suicide Squad held very well due to lackluster competition after its 3rd weekend.

I think there's a chance of Stranger Things Season 2 It getting a late release in IMAX. WB would be fools not to capitalize on the massive wave of hype that thing has and convert it to IMAX (even if it's unusual, if not unheard of, to release horror films in IMAX - not even The Conjuring franchise has attempted that - but there's a 1st time for everything, and It is more than just a horror film: it's a bonefide blockbuster, so this is the perfect time for that, even if it's just for one weekend). But it doesn't change the September factor, so yeah. Dunkirk can definitely expect strong legs throughout late Summer, no question (even if there's some rush on OW).

And you make a good point about the 6PM previews, but still, Dunkirk has only done 14.5M real Friday if the 22M stays. Granted, it can surge on Saturday, but given the strong possibility of Nolan fan rush, 50M is not a lock by any means. I'm thinking slightly under 50M is more likely than over.

Just now, MCKillswitch123 said:

I think there's a chance of Stranger Things Season 2 It getting a late release in IMAX. WB would be fools not to capitalize on the massive wave of hype that thing has and convert it to IMAX (even if it's unusual, if not unheard of, to release horror films in IMAX - not even The Conjuring franchise has attempted that - but there's a 1st time for everything, and It is more than just a horror film: it's a bonefide blockbuster, so this is the perfect time for that, even if it's just for one weekend). But it doesn't change the September factor, so yeah. Dunkirk can definitely expect strong legs throughout late Summer, no question (even if there's some rush on OW).

And you make a good point about the 6PM previews, but still, Dunkirk has only done 14.5M real Friday if the 22M stays. Granted, it can surge on Saturday, but given the strong possibility of Nolan fan rush, 50M is not a lock by any means. I'm thinking slightly under 50M is more likely than over.

if the 20M stays.

Saturday will be its true test to see where its legs go.

As long as it stays above Interstellar's OW or even $45m+, I'm sure it can still make it to $200M domestically.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BenedictL11 said:

if the 20M stays.

Saturday will be its true test to see where its legs go.

As long as it stays above Interstellar's OW or even $45m+, I'm sure it can still make it to $200M domestically.

Typo. Good call there.

We'll see. If it does more than Interstellar throughout the weekend going forward, then I'm thinking legs are gonna destroy and it may challenge 200M; if not, then it may just be fine w/150-160+.

3 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Girls Trip doing 13M OD is nuts. It's looking at mid to high 20's OW, which would be refreshing considering the amount of flopped comedies we've seen all year long. Would be hilarious if it did more in 3 days than the likes of Baywatch in 4 or 5.

Girls Trip did indeed do very well. 

However, if its final Friday is still at $13M, that would be so good considering it only got $1.7 previews. The OW would be closer to $30m+ in this case. Plus, the strong WOM and lackluster competition for the rest of the summer will help it get great legs.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Cinemascore can be misleading regarding legs. Spider-man and Apes each scored an A- or better. Whereas, 47 Meters scored less than an A-. 47 Meters will has shown the best legs.

For sure. Just like when Cars 3 got an A but its legs were horrible.

2 hours ago, Nova said:

Why are Cara D and Rihanna getting the blunt of the blame for Valerian flopping? We all knew it was going to flop. It has a $209M budget. The odds for it to succeed were already in doubt just on that budget alone. And we have already seen that just because you cast a well known actor or actress (see the Mummy, Baywatch and Ghost In The Shell etc) it doesn't mean your movie is going to do well financially. Unless your Star Wars, films like Valerian haven't exactly been setting the box office on fire. Heck even a well received Star Trek film didn't set the box office on fire last year. 

Before we even get to the actors you have to consider the script, concept, direction etc but let's skip all of that and get to the actors. Rihanna has a glorified cameo. That's it. If the studio wanted to use her in the marketing that's fine, and that's their right I think everyone going to watch the film knew that she only had a cameo. Cara D is a very well known and successful model. She's just now beginning to venture out into Hollywood. Maybe the studio picked her because they feel like she's going to be the next big thing. Or maybe their top choices said no, so they settled for a relatively well known model who came cheap from a price standpoint? But regardless of whether this film was successful or not, these two women shouldn't suddenly have their careers questioned. Movies flop all the time. Movies with well known actors flop all the time. And yet those actors especially male actors get second and third and fourth chances all the time. And all this talk about Cara D and Rihanna but like what about Dane Dehaan? He's a nobody who got cast in a big budget film like this. Why aren't there questions about how a male actor like him got cast in a film like this as opposed to why well known names like Cara D and Rihanna got cast instead? :thinking:at 

Cara D's well known for her arrogant personality.  That interview where she couldn't hide her disdain at having to sit there answering questions from some poor local reporter gave her a pretty bad reputation.

She's most certainly not ugly, but she always has that "I'm better than you" expression on her face, and that's just not going to appeal to people.

Didn't help that she was one of the worst characters in Suicide Squad, either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Gumby said:

Cara D's well known for her arrogant personality.  That interview where she couldn't hide her disdain at having to sit there answering questions from some poor local reporter gave her a pretty bad reputation.

She's most certainly not ugly, but she always has that "I'm better than you" expression on her face, and that's just not going to appeal to people.

I mean, yes, but atleast she was incredibly entertaining in that movie. Hilarious stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, damnfine said:

Bane on a plane?

perhaps not my best effort..

Of course.

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

John Carter was generic in every way imaginable - the name, the look, the leads. Same goes for Prince of Persia (Gylleenhaal is never going to be a big star and that's that, he's good at being a supporting actor or playing leading creeps in small budget movies but not the classic heroes in epic productions). Wrong leads are not entirely to blame but they knew the risk so that's that.  

Good thing POP basically scared off Gylleenhaal from ever doing big budgeted tentpole films then.

From the DCEU films that brought us Wonder Woman, Harley Quinn, Lois Lane, Faora and Amanda Waller. Cara D's character ranks near the bottom.

Cara D should just stick to modeling.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Good thing POP basically scared off Gylleenhaal from ever doing big budgeted tentpole films then.

He's signed on to do some other video game movie alongside Jessica Chastain. Why respected actors continue appearing in these video game movies knowing that they never end well, I have no idea. Nice paychecks, I guess.

4 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

That will forever be the mystery here. Even though Fifth Element wasn't a hit, Bruce Willis was a very smart choice as heroic lead. Scarlett Johansson as leading lady in Lucy was an ideal choice as well... The choices here, whether they suited the material in his mind's eye or not, were poor. Maybe because Valerian was made outside of the studio system, he was able to cast exactly who he wanted? Still, very odd... Many, many young, talented actors would've signed up to be a part of such a kaleidoscopic, loony sci-fi fairy tale. Does any know if others were considered for Valerian and Laurelene?

Fifth Element was successful enough, it did fine in the U.S. despite Besson's disappointment (it was number 1 for two weekends), but since was it largely

4 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Rihanna had a small role, I don't think that anyone thought that she didn't have a small role.

Rihanna's face was all over the marketing, though I'm not sure if everyone recognized her right away.

Edited by Fancyarcher

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

He's signed on to do some other video game movie alongside Jessica Chastain. Why respected actors continue appearing in these video game movies knowing that they never end well, I have no idea. Nice paychecks, I guess.

Because maybe they need the money or somehow they actually like the script. That being said I don't think The Division is getting made anytime soon, especially since no other actors are attached to it.