CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

3 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Im also starting to think that GoT will have a negative effect on Sunday drops. The show is (deservedly) more popular than any other show in television history. Add to that the fact that its also more epic than most of the movies released this year.

Any other show in television history?

Hold your horses there pal.  LOL.  It's not quite there yet...in fact, it's not even close.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Hold your horses there pal.  LOL.  It's not quite there yet...in fact, it's not even close.

I think he meant worldwide in which IMO it is close. The premier was pirated 80 million times in three days from a single source.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

In The US, its very debatable. For example, The Sopranos are hard to top. But Worldwide, its Number 1.

3 hours ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

I think he meant worldwide in which IMO it is close. The premier was pirated 80 million times in three days from a single source.

Oh, ok.  I never think of WW when talking TV numbers....especially when it comes to affecting the domestic box office.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Brainbug said:

In The US, its very debatable. For example, The Sopranos are hard to top. But Worldwide, its Number 1.

Come on dude....The Sopranos?  You're talking about shows that were on cable.  I'm not going to get into a debate about television history but shows like Seinfeld, Friends, Dallas, MASH were all huge nad have the numbers to prove it.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, MrPink said:

This guy is a mod. 

And you are the Award Winner Funniest Poster of the Year. Clearly, everyone makes mistakes once in a while :ph34r:

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Come on dude....The Sopranos?  You're talking about shows that were on cable.  I'm not going to get into a debate about television history but shows like Seinfeld, Friends, Dallas, MASH were all huge nad have the numbers to prove it.

Dont forget though that Game of Thrones is a much tougher sell with a far more restricted target audience than Friends for example.

And for it to be able to grow for like 5 consecutive seasons and peaking in Season 7, that's at least remarkable!!

Edited by FantasticBeasts

3 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I really don't know about USA, but I can safely say that it is the most popular American series in Europe since I remember myself following such stuff.

Literally everyone is watching it.

Current series don't come close at all!

I'm definitely not going to dispute how popular it is WW.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Dont forget though that Game of Thrones is a much tougher sell with a far more restricted target audience like Friends for example.

And for it to be able to grow for like 5 consecutive seasons and peaking in Season 7, that's at least remarkable!!

I'm not debating it's popularity at all.  It's massive.  I'm just saying that if you are talking about an US audience (and Canada), then there have been far bigger shows.

• Like 3

Last weekend the Saturday increases were muted for all movies i.e increases in 20s and 30s.

This weekend Saturday increases are in the 30s, 40s and even 50s. Any reasons for this?

4 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I'm not debating it's popularity at all.  It's massive.  I'm just saying that if you are talking about an US audience (and Canada), then there have been far bigger shows.

I can definitely get what you mean, I was just stating that some comparisons are not working well.

Game of Thrones' audience is restricted by its usage of violence and sex which makes it more difficult to pull higher numbers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

102 million people. Damn that's huge. I saw M.A.S.H. Why it caught on so big?

MASH was a little bit before my time.  But from what I recall, it was a huge indictment of the Vietnam War.  It took place during the Korean War, but the Vietnam War had just ended.  And unless you lived through the 70's and understood the attitude about war, you probably won't get the popularity of the show.  I never "GOT IT" either.  I was too young at the time to really appreciate it.  But it had a terrific cast, was expertly written, had a good sized budget and it hit all the right notes at the time.  During MASH's run I was 7-9 years old when I started watching TV.  I was more into The Six Million Dollar Man (best show of all time imo) The Dukes of Hazard and The Incredible Hulk.  Late in MASH's run I started to get into Cheers.  So I'm not really the one to ask why it was so popular, but MASH was the most watched non sports TV show in US history...and still is to this day.  104 million viewers is insane.  And even popular shows like Seinfeld and Friends couldn't top it.    

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Fielding said:

Thanks to Wonder Woman and Dunkirk's big debut, Warner Bros has now crossed the $1 billion mark domestically for the 17th straight year, a record.

http://www.thewrap.com/wonder-woman-warner-bros/

So, this record will only be broken if WB doesn't have a $1 billion year in the future. Hmmm....