CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

3 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Once again your allowed to say if you liked it or not.

Man white teenage boys really can't take that their opinion isn't supreme.

No one's opinion is supreme! Its subjective. Stop trying to make it objective

4 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Once again your allowed to say if you liked it or not.

Man white teenage boys really can't take that their opinion isn't supreme.

I'm black.

5 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I really doubt it. A 5x is unheard of for most films aimed at a mostly black audience. In fact a five multiplier for any film is basically unheard of.

I feel it with this one. The fantastic WOM will likely bleed into other audiences, especially when you look at the complete lack of competition. Comedy-wise, there's NOTHING for the rest of the summer. I suppose Bridesmaids and Hidden Figures would be the best immediate examples of big female-lead entertainment driven by great WOM.   

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Because box office is ALWAYS representative of a film's quality. ALWAYS

If that's the case.....why almost nobody went to see Kung Fu Panda 3 enough last year? An animated threequel more well-liked and well-received than Illumination's DM3 and actually is good?

Well....maybe quality didn't compute for some movies, did they?

9 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

DM3 tried to be good. Saying otherwise is just silly. 

I actually think DM3 was decent like a C+. If we're being honest here, it's one of Illumination's better movies. But it wasn't as good as other animated comedies as say, Madagascar 3 or Rio.

2 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

If that's the case.....why almost nobody went to see Kung Fu Panda 3 enough last year? An animated threequel more well-liked and well-received than Illumination's DM3 and actually is good?

This is exactly my point. Plenty of GREAT films don't gross that much. Hell, some barely make over 1M.

Edited by WrathOfHan

1 minute ago, RichWS said:

I feel it with this one. The fantastic WOM will likely bleed into other audiences, especially when you look at the complete lack of competition. Comedy-wise, there's NOTHING for the rest of the summer. I suppose Bridesmaids and Hidden Figures would be the best immediate examples of big female-lead entertainment driven by great WOM.   

Also helps that there's also been nothing really before it either. Not much in the way of good adult-comedies this summer, so audiences are starved for this type of movie atm.

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Maybe one day but right now it does not seem to be a sustainable model (and if I<m not wrong every try in the past did fail, like in Italy that destroyed their industry went they started to do quick tv release of their movies).

The one maybe possible model would be removing all marketing cost and being on people netflix startup page being enough, but under that model every 100k movies already made become a bit the equivalent of new movies and remove a lot of the value of being new, it is built a bit on a scam that take advantage of the human nature (we prefer it when it is new, to the point to wait in line for a movie the OW instead of seeing for less without any disagreement tuesday in 2/3 weeks).

Remove that and it will be hard to make people pays nearly as much what they pay now for movies, netflix at that price cannot work if they do the movies with watch at that scale they are now. A much higher price netflix with people paying (even if the product will be extremelly close to the piracy version) is the other possible option.

There are a ton of assumptions here. I'm not sure I agree with any of them. But putting that aside, whether or not Netflix is ultimately successful as a company is beside the point of what Nolan's talking about: he seems to think that somehow every company (and studio) will switch to their model when it seems clear (to me) that they are one particular outlet of distribution. Their success or failure doesn't doom an industry. 

If Nolan was around in 1986 he'd be making the same argument against home video and VHS. And while his technical arguments aren't wrong (it's an inferior way to watch a movie and in addition you lose out on the shared experience), in no way shape or form did it ruin the moviegoing experience or stop people from becoming huge fans of world cinema. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Community Manager
5 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I actually think DM3 was decent like a C+. If we're being honest here, it's one of Illumination's better movies. But it wasn't as good as other animated comedies as say, Madagascar 3 or Rio.

Okay fine.

Even Norm of the Month or whatever it was called tried to be good. Lol.

15 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Because box office is ALWAYS representative of a film's quality. ALWAYS

6 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Another riveting episode of "Sarcasm Doesn't Work on the Internet"