CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

Yeah. No matter how many reclining chairs you add and no matter how much you "improve" the food menu at a movie theater, people still have better options at home and with none of the annoying behavior by other customers. 

I still think the big screen with really good surround sound is worth the money and dealing with the texter punks, but I think the couch scenario at home is the #1 option for many people. 

I think people tend to over-exaggerate annoying people but one bad experience is all it takes.

• Like 2

Just now, Rth Homecoming said:

Not sure if this been posted

F 19,736,259
S 17,543,645    
S 13,233,584
WE 50,513,488

So spot on with estimates. Now it's time to observe the legs.

• Like 1

Yeah. No matter how many reclining chairs you add and no matter how much you "improve" the food menu at a movie theater, people still have better options at home and with none of the annoying behavior by other customers.

Ushers just need to do their damn jobs and kick out the people that are annoying the rest of the audience.

18 minutes ago, Emperor Tele-Limai said:

I do visit Film-Tech. But being worried about a narrowing theatrical window (or being anxious that the studios want to eliminate it entirely) is different from saying Netflix is bad for movies. 

I guess the problem for the studios at the end of the day is piracy, thats why there is the push to get to DVD ASAP, otherwise the market quickly dissapears.

19 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Right and if you look at the chart you provided the percentage of the population that went to the theater went up in the fifties. The huge decline was in the forties during World War 2 and then a small decline in the sixties. When cable became a thing, it's the eighties-way past the decline.

As for the theaters that closed that's because the theater business had to completely change. Not to compete with TV but because of antittust lawsuits that ended studio ownership of theaters. Theater chains were thus made independent and a lot of them couldn't adapt to it.

I think that once a week in theater percentage is misleading here, the annual ticket sold by capita is probably a better and clearer measure:

atlas_SyRgEzVO.png

From 1950 to 1960 the drop was terrible: It went from around 18 ticket a year by person in 1950, to a bit above 6 in 1960, without tv maybe it would have stayed at the 24 ticket be person level pre-war (that was a great depression lower level than the crazy 20's)

Screen+Shot+2012-01-02+at+10.26.25+PM.pn

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Theaters are adding bars and stuff. Clearly they think alcohol will give people a reason to stick with movie theaters.

This, homemade or cheaper and more food/drink is a reason some people prefer watching movie at home or in drive-in versus theater.

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

When I saw it over the weekend, it was in a nearly sold out theater split nearly half black/half white. Even the weekend demographics showed non-blacks made up 41% of the audience. It'll be surprised if it plays like an "urban" film and not a well-received mainstream comedy.

Also, there's no way word-of-mouth gonna be less than great across multiple audiences. The more hilarious scenes in the movie demand to be seen with a packed crowd (there were times the laughter got so loud that the movie was drowned out).

I agree WOM is going to be great.  But a 5X is pretty tough.  Again, I hope you guys are right.

6 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I think people tend to over-exaggerate annoying people but one bad experience is all it takes.

Yeah honestly I know i live in LA were people are film friendly but I haven't had an issue in the theater since I was in High School. 

7 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Those two old assholes I told to shut up during Inside Llewyn Davis will forever be my enemies.

• Haha 1

Universal Hits $4B In Global Box Office For Second Time In Its History

Charged by the successes of The Fate Of The Furious and Illumination powerhouse Despicable Me 3, Universal Pictures has just crossed the $4 billion mark at the worldwide box office for the second time in the studio’s 105-year history. Univeral reports that this is also “the fastest a studio has reached this milestone in 2017.”

The breakdown? $1.265 billion domestically and $2.791B internationally. The Fate Of The Furious, released April 14, ended up with the biggest global opening of all time at $542M as well as the biggest international opening ever with $443.2M. The film went onto gross more than $1.2B worldwide. Internationally, the film became only the sixth in history to cross $1B at the international box office, and stands as the highest-grossing foreign film of all time in China.

Despicable Me 3 crossed $200M at the domestic box office and $500M at the international box office last week and is still doing well. It grossed a better than expected $50.5M this weekend abroad to bring its global cume to $732.5M. The animated family film had the biggest opening day and weekend of all time for an animated film in China.

Universal

There are other grossers for the studio that helped to push them over the $4B mark. One was The Mummy, which has grossed $392.5M worldwide and has basically completed its run. It took in $1M over the weekend internationally from the 54 markets where it is still playing. Another is Illumination’s Sing, which has amassed $632.3M worldwide; the animated family favorite was released in December but had significant grosses this year that played into the overall global take.

Other top worldwide grossers for Universal this year were Fifty Shades Darker ($380.2M worldwide), the breakout hit Get Out ($252.6M worldwide) and the James McAvoy-starring Split ($277.8M worldwide).

The studio also noted in making the announcement this morning that it has been No. 1 at the domestic box office for eight weekends; the international box office for eight weekends; and the worldwide box office for six weekends.

• Like 2

I guess the problem for the studios at the end of the day is piracy, thats why there is the push to get to DVD ASAP, otherwise the market quickly dissapears.

Piracy isn't as big of a deal as studios and we all think it is.

They definitely shouldn't wait too long to release a movie on home video however.