CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

Just now, EmpireCity said:

I absolutely believe that Dunkirk budget was around $100m total.  

There aren't many complicated FX shots, basically no battles, mostly practical effects and no huge sets.  You have a couple boats tipping over, but that isn't exactly expensive.  No big actor salaries or back end deals other than Nolan.  It was a efficient shoot that came in on time.  

My guess is this is going to make a shitload of money for Warner Bros. and Nolan.  He already had it for the most part, but this movie done as essentially a favor to him by the studio will get him a blank check forever (or at least until he has a couple straight expensive bombs).  

Nolan, much like Spielberg, is a respectful and efficient filmmaker that likes to try and show as much respect to the studio as they show him.  

If you made two $1bn grossers and invigorated a major IP, the studio will grant you many blank cheques. His next film could be a financial disappointment and they'd still back another film. Clint Eastwood for example had many flops in the last few years before striking it big with American Sniper and Sully. 

3 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Fantastic for Dunkirk to maintain enough momentum that it managed to cross 50M OW. I thought it was gonna be more frontloaded than this (especially after that preview to real Friday OD ratio), but I'm glad that it performed solidly. It did more than Interstellar, which is RAAAAAD considering the many things that it had working against it compared to that movie. Good legs absolutely await Dunkirk (though a 50% drop wouldn't be unwarranted next weekend, but it's easy game from that point onward). Also the 3rd biggest OW of all time for a WW2 movie behind Cap 1 and Pearl Harbor (how did that disgusting hate baby make so much mone-don't answer, Titanic's fanbase rushed out big time, didn't it?). HAIL THE NOLAN.

But even more fantastic is that Girls Trip did over 30M OW, blowing away all the shitty comedies we've seen all year long (it's actually the biggest OW for a comedy since Ghostbusters). That is ridiculous to think about. 100M is a very sure bet, if not a given, given the power of the wom at play.

Valerian made exactly the Jupiter Ascending range that I thought was about as much as it had any hope of achieving. Wom should be better than JA's, but we'll see if that translates to better legs. One thing's a wonder: this movie might just a cult classic in the making.

Thank God Spider-Man didn't have another Godawful drop (even if 50% isn't necessarily great, maybe not even good either). 300M seem pretty certain at this point. Now Apes on the other hand... ouch at that drop. Will fall exactly in the 150-170M range that has haunted movies like Apocalypse, Star Trek Beyond, Jason Bourne and Pirates 5. Which is so sad to see.

But on a happier note, Wonder Woman is Queen of the Summer! Yay! C'mooooooon 400M.......

Also, Baby Driver inches closer and closer to 100M (it might be a stretch, but maybe Sony can help fudge just a little bit). How crazy that this movie made more money in just about a month than Alien: Covenant and Baywatch in their entire runs. Wouldn't be amazing if an original action comedy without any major star in it made that much money in 2017? :ohmygod:

And, gotta be honest: Despicable Me 3 has had some very solid late legs. Probably due to having no competition, but regardless. It'll probably end just a little above DM1 unadjusted, which, given how poorly it was looking after the underperforming OW, it's not hitting that much of a rock bottom as we thought it would hit.

Actually Apes likely will fallow below 150m now

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Dunkirk is v good. It's probably in my Top 5 of the year right now but not enthusiastically.

@Ethan Hunt I was only posting during the Only the Brave trailer :lol: But yes, OH MY GOD MOTHER! :ohmygod: 

SPEAK !!!!

1 hour ago, kayumanggi said:

Is this true?

Meanwhile, it should be noted that Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales — with an estimated gross of $596.6M — has now become the highest grossing title of the Pirates franchise internationally for Disney (when looking at all at today’s FX rates), thereby passing Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides which grossed $593.4M at current rates. http://deadline.com/2017/07/dunkirk-movie-christopher-nolan-international-box-office-results-opening-weekend-global-1202134249/

not really. It doesn't take into account many things

however, over 600m overseas is still very solid for POTC 5

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Tomorrow Nolan walks in to WB studios and says "I want to do a shot for shot remake of The Color Purple with white people". WB gives him 150M and puts out the press release by evening :P 

Seriously though, Nolan must be absolutely incredible at pitching concepts, it made so much sense when I read that his father was an advertising executive.

Good for Girls Trip, how long before a sequel is announced? It might not be needed or make sense for the story, but when has that ever stopped Hollywood?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Looks like War of the Apes will struggle to match Rise worldwide 

That tends to happen when directors sacrifice entertainment for pleasing critics. TDK  and LOTR were such phenomena cause they managed to be very entertaining while also being  relevant as social/political commentaries. War is simply morose, taking itself too serious as a metaphor to real life events, while forgetting that it's also a popcorn movie with talking apes. Yes, critics luv Poo Face Blockbusters cause oh so serious but that doesn't fly with GA, especially in summer. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, John Marston said:

not really. It doesn't take into account many things

however, over 600m overseas is still very solid for POTC 5

It is indeed good. POTC: DMTNT actually surprised me for beating TRANSFORMERS: THE LAST KNIGHT in domestic, overseas, and worldwide box office. Disney should make one more.

4 minutes ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

Seriously though, Nolan must be absolutely incredible at pitching concepts, it made so much sense when I read that his father was an advertising executive.

Good for Girls Trip, how long before a sequel is announced? It might not be needed or make sense for the story, but when has that ever stopped Hollywood?

It must run in the family as Jonah Nolan did a great job with Person of Interest and also Westworld. I do wonder if Jonah will ever direct a film, he's a strong writer, perhaps a better writer than Christopher Nolan and he has directed episodes of PoI and Westworld so I imagine it's inevitable

19 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

SPEAK !!!!

Spoiler

It's tons of dialogue over a black screen with Aronofsky's name, "THE DIRECTOR OF RFOAD AND BLACK SWAN", and the four main actors names. Lots of yelling from JLaw and Bardem. Harris and Pfeiffer have one or two lines each. The trailer was terrifying, and only one shot of JLaw's eyes was shown! Also can confirm she shouts MOTHER!!!

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Tomorrow Nolan walks in to WB studios and says "I want to do a shot for shot remake of The Color Purple with white people". WB gives him 150M and puts out the press release by evening :P 

He'll decide it's finally time to put his stamp on the ultimate dead wife sci-fi property and demand 150m for his own Solaris remake. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Reveal hidden contents

200.gif

Nolan ranked:

TDK

BB

Memento

Inception

The Prestige

Insomnia

Dunkirk

Interstellar

TDKR

Following

Insomnia and Dunkirk are about even. Dunkirk hasn't stuck with me at all tbh, and I might bump it down to a...... B+

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1