CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

How Dunkirk's current audience score of 84% compares to other Nolan films:

Interstellar: 88% on the first Tuesday (currently sits at 85%)

TDKR: 94% on the first Saturday (currently sits at 90%; The fanboys probably contributed A LOT to this :lol: )

Inception: 93% on the second Saturday (currently sits at 91%)

TDK: 89% on opening day (currently sits at 94%)

Prestige: 90% two weeks after release (currently sits at 92%)

BB: 94% 3 days after release (currently sits at 94%)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

It must run in the family as Jonah Nolan did a great job with Person of Interest and also Westworld. I do wonder if Jonah will ever direct a film, he's a strong writer, perhaps a better writer than Christopher Nolan and he has directed episodes of PoI and Westworld so I imagine it's inevitable

I saw on his Wiki page that he's developing another show for TV aside from Westworld, maybe he likes the long format better, TV is more of a writer's medium, plus the idea of stepping into the director's chair on a feature film and having everyone compare your efforts to big brother's...intimidating. 

Yesterday, I looked at an interview he did about Westworld posted on Youtube and like half of the comments were people so confused that Chris Nolan's brother sounds American and looks like Tom Brady! :lol: Would be interesting to see Chris really explore sibling dynamics in one of his films, I can see why he wouldn't though, probably too personal and painful given how the third brother turned out.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Nolan ranked:

TDK

BB

Memento

Inception

The Prestige

Insomnia

Dunkirk

Interstellar

TDKR

Following

Insomnia and Dunkirk are about even. Dunkirk hasn't stuck with me at all tbh, and I might bump it down to a...... B+

I'm fairly certain putting The Dark Knight as your favorite movie is just about the most damn casual thing ever

3 minutes ago, Emperor Tele-Limai said:

Kinda funny that for you B+ is kinda not-so-great, and for me it's pretty dang good.

Explains it all about Rotten Tomatoes TBH and our "Everything is either epic or garbage" culture.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

3 weeks is very likely, maybe even 4 weeks. The last film to do number 1 for 4 weeks was Fantastic Beasts. No films at the UK box office has managed to do more than 4 weeks since Avatar which managed 8 consecutive weeks and 10 non consecutive weeks. Dunkirk might break that streak

And considering the true story, Dunkirk being #1 for 4 weeks wouldn't be that surprising either.

Oh the memories

"In the entire industry, no one understands what [Dunkirk] is doing here", Besson tells me. "Typically this kind of film, great director, important subject, comes in November, going for Oscars. Why in July? It doesnt make sense."

Besson, for his part, is quick to praise Nolan as a visionary filmmaker—and points out that if, say, Inception 2 were coming out on July 21, he would have moved Valerian off the contested release date for fear of the films cannibalizing each other’s audience.

As it stands, however, the Frenchman believes moviegoers will likely divide along generational lines. “Everyone under 50 will go see Valerian,” Besson says, “and everyone above 50 will go see Dunkirk.”

YXoQiiJ.png

• Haha 3