CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

4 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Interstellar added $15.7 million over the three-day weekend, which was actually up three percent from the previous week. IMAX accounted for $5.7 million, or 36 percent. So far, the Christopher Nolan sci-fi epic has grossed $147 million, and remains on track for over $170 million total

The most impressive part of interstellar in its box office run was its IMAX share, I don't expect any kind of wide-conventional release could get 36% of IMAX share, even DUnkirk

Interstellar and Big Hero 6 opened to a similar amount on the same weekend as far comparing legs is concerned (47+ vs 56+) and both did 3.96x. BH6 being an animation had it easier genre-wise. Interstellar was creditable in more ways than one. I feel it didn't get it's due.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I picked this pre-summer over $300M and I don't want it to have the success it's having - I'd much rather I be spectacularly wrong than this inch up towards that number b/c I don't want any more lazy, forced movies - I want a return to quality in the franchise if they are gonna continue with it...this movie is anything but quality...

So, I am hoping Emoji cracks it, unless Emoji is an even worse movie than DM3 is...that would be hard b/c DM3 isn't better than Smurfs was...and Emoji at least looks better in recent trailers than that one...

I join WoH in thinking (and hoping) DM3 is FINALLY coming in for a big drop this weekend...

Thing is I saw DM3 performance coming since March/April. Domestically on paper it looked and behaved exactly like Shrek movies.

16 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

As we go further along, the IMAX percentage share will increase just as it did for Interstellar. Curious to see how much impact IMAX will have later in the film's run. 

how long will Dunkirk retain its IMAX screens? I remember Interstellar had full 5 five-weeks of retention on every IMAX showtimes..... 

DUNKIRK down to 83% on Audience score. Started off at 90%. Such a drop in Audience score over 3 days is not routine.

Though it doesn't mean anything legs wise as HOMECOMING shows : Started at 92% and still is 90% after 3 weekends, but legs have only been okay.

WAR OF APES went from 91% to 87% over 10 days - relatively stead. Again didn't mean much legs wise as it had a bigger drop than expected.

So DUNKIRK going from 90% to 83% in just 3 days does not mean lesser legs necessarily, I just find it interesting.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Thing is I saw DM3 performance coming since March/April. Domestically on paper it looked and behaved exactly like Shrek movies.

If it was better, it would be doing normal numbers...its quality is the only thing holding it down in this summer of emptiness...

Look, I really enjoy Illumination movies...and this is their worst one...

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

If it was better, it would be doing normal numbers...its quality is the only thing holding it down in this summer of emptiness...

Look, I really enjoy Illumination movies...and this is their worst one...

I think like Shrek 3, in America, Minions turned adults without children off, even if it was good.

On a more positive note, I can see Grinch outgrossing Pets domestically for Illumination's top movie.

3 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Im also starting to think that GoT will have a negative effect on Sunday drops. The show is (deservedly) more popular than any other show in television history. Add to that the fact that its also more epic than most of the movies released this year.

I think you would be surprised by how popular tv show like Roots or Mash were in the past.

Roots in 1977 for example:

The miniseries was watched by an estimated 130 million [14][15][16] and 140[17][18] million viewers total (more than half of the U.S. 1977 population of 221 million – the largest viewership ever attracted by any type of television series in US history as tallied by Nielsen Media Research) and averaged a 44.9 rating[17] and 66% to 80% viewer share[17] of the audience. The final episode was watched by 100 million viewers and an average of 80 million viewers watched each of the last seven episodes

In the past they were show watched by everyone, almost nothing is watched by 15% of the population now, it is really not close.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, a2knet said:

DUNKIRK down to 83% on Audience score. Started off at 90%. Such a drop in Audience score over 3 days is not routine.

Though it doesn't mean anything legs wise as HOMECOMING shows : Started at 92% and still is 90% after 3 weekends, but legs have only been okay.

WAR OF APES went from 91% to 87% over 10 days - relatively stead. Again didn't mean much legs wise as it had a bigger drop than expected.

So DUNKIRK going from 90% to 83% in just 3 days does not mean lesser legs necessarily, I just find it interesting.

It could mean the RT community is somewhat lower on Dunkirk but other demographics are more impressed. Or bad legs coming!

Or RT relatively is down on  these kinds of 'experience' movies. Noticed that Gravity has an 80% which is relatively low given its legs and overall gross/reviews

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, a2knet said:

If RT audience score could give 69% to an all-time masterpiece like Titanic, I don't see why they won't do that to Dunkirk.

This is why I rarely refer myself to audience score, they are just too "playful" because they risk nothing at giving out the score like critics risks their credibility or their position in public.   

27 minutes ago, a2knet said:

I don't think it means much. You don't need everyone to love the movie for good legs. A lot of the people who are seeing Dunkirk aren't the types to vote on movie websites.

The fact it's original with an unconventional story style will lead to better legs than all these sequels with "good" WOM and rubbish legs. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

If RT audience score could give 69% to an all-time masterpiece like Titanic, I don't see why they won't do that to Dunkirk.

This is why I rarely refer myself to audience score, they are just too "playful" because they risk nothing at giving out the score like critics risks their credibility or their position in public.   

Yeah, Raimi's SM1 is 67% on Audience RT and ASM1 is 77%. :lol:

So younger generations who dominate social media sites have their own tastes which affects movies like SM1, Titanic and to some degree Dunkirk.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

Just now, a2knet said:

Yeah, Raimi's SM1 is 67% on Audience RT and ASM1 is 77%. :lol:

So younger generations who dominate social media sites have their own tastes which effects movies like SM1, Titanic and to some degree Dunkirk.

And Gravity. 4.9 multiplier and 80% RT audience score.  WTF :lol:

• Astonished 1

5 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

And Gravity. 4.9 multiplier and 80% RT audience score.  WTF :lol:

Gravity internet audience scores dropped harshly once Interstellar came out and didn't do quite as well with critics or the BO. Still one of my favourite movies ever.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, thelich343 said:

Gravity internet audience scores dropped harshly once Interstellar came out and didn't do quite as well with critics or the BO. Still one of my favourite movies ever.

I would think the home video audience didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as theater audiences. 

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

Gravity, one of the best in post-2010 movie world, it fully demonstrate the philosopher of visual art!

I liked it's 3D experience more than Avatar's 3D experience. Though if watching both in 2D would prefer Avatar.

• Like 1