CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

Predictions for next weekend:

Dunkirk: 31M

The Emoji Movie: 25M

Girls Trip: 18.2M

Atomic Blonde: 15M

Spider-Man Homecoming: 11M

Planet of the Apes: 9.2M

Valerian: 8.8M

Despicable Me 3: 6.4M

Baby Driver: 4M

The Big Sick: 3.5M

2 minutes ago, Humbgul said:

I'm so happy for DC! Well deserved Wonder Woman! It's your crown :D

Wonder Woman didnt win summer yet. not officialy. I know there is little chance any of August movies will beat her and Dunkirk would have to have amazing legs but its not done deal yet

1 minute ago, That EddieKaspbrak Guy said:

How are the two comparable?

In many ways, both vfx spectacles starring no one of note released by a foreign auteur and promoted for 3D. Then we have this

On 7/17/2017 at 5:51 PM, Blankments said:

Just got a TV spot of this and my dad pointed to a copy of SHARKBOY AND LAVAGIRL and said, "Valerian should be happy that movie was big among your generation; that's probably the only reason it was made"

I've never wanted to murder my own father more

Blanks' dad was spot on by the looks of it

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

This week, Spidey is showing the stabilization it needed to guarantee some late legs...performing better than Apes and Valerian should also mean Spidey (like WW before him) keeps theaters longer than some of the newer releases, which is key to getting the dog days of summer legs...now, to keep up and maybe even improve on the stabilizing drops:)...

I still think it does well enough for 300m, at least I hope it can make 300m anyway.

• Like 1

Just now, grim22 said:

In many ways, both vfx spectacles starring no one of note released by a foreign auteur and promoted for 3D. Then we have this

Wait...this is a VFX spectacle?

tumblr_static_tumblr_static__640.jpg

Jokes aside, the film had a 35M budget and was cheaply made, compared to Valerian 200M or so budget.  They're not comparable when it comes to VFX.

"No one of note?"  I mean, Rihanna is one of the most famous music artists in the world but I guess that's not noteworthy.  Cara Delevingne, Dane DeHaan, Clive Owen, Rutger Hauer, John Goodman, and Ethan Hawke are also all fairly well known, even if none of them are really draws.

(everything else is fair enough, but I'd debate the term "auteur" for Rodriguez)

• Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1