Finnick

Thursday Numbers: DUNKIRK:$5.19M | GT:$3.17M | SMH:$2.77M | APES:$2.02M | GRU:$1.96M | WW:$0.65M .....NOT THE WW OSCAR PUSH THREAD (take it to the WW thread)

16 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

I would call SM:H's run many things, but "astonishing" is not one of them.

Decent, alright, not-bad, nothing-to-sneeze at?  Sure.

Astonishing? Not really.

Decent? C'mon, Cocho. WW's run is legendary, it's out of this world. It's The Avengers / Spider-Man 1 insane, maybe even more impressive than that. But Spider-Man: Homecoming's run has indeed been astonishing so far, if we take WW out of the equation, which isn't really a good film to compare with. 

Look at this:

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1, considered by many until this year one of the MCU's very best and breakout films, with a very leggy run btw, was at $231.6m on its 20th day, meaning its third Wednesday, it made $2.6m that day. Spider-Man: Homecoming, ALSO considered by public and critic one of the MCU's very best and a film that is seen by many, public and critic included, as one of the best Spider-Man films ever is on it's 20th day at 262.1m, and it made 2.7m last Wednesday. If it keeps going over Guardians for the rest of its run, it would go for $360m+. I don't think it'll manage to keep that, but it has a definite real shot. Homecoming enjoys the kind of WOW that Vol. 1 has, and that's not decent, that's amazing. WW's run is not the rule, and you know that. That in the last 15 years happened with SM1, TA and now WW. Saying that WOM for both GotG and Homecoming are amazing/astonishing definitely is apt. 

Edited by iJackSparrow
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

I would call SM:H's run many things, but "astonishing" is not one of them.

Decent, alright, not-bad, nothing-to-sneeze at?  Sure.

Astonishing? Not really.

Its going to outgross WW worldwide, so why wouldn't it be 'astonishing'

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

It's poised to become the biggest reboot of all time, and it's managing to do that with two reboots in less than 15 years. People freaking love MCU's Spider-Man. Seeing Cocho and others underplaying that because of WW's domestic run it's kinda hillarious. There's room to love both films, kids. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

Nothing about Spider-Man's run has been astonishing. It is doing just fine though. Spider-Man and Iron Man have built up enough good will so of course Spider-Man and Iron Man's team up movie was going to outgross Wonder Woman overseas. It would have been shocking if it didn't. 

• Like 1

Just now, Barnack said:

Jurassic World did like 1.6 billion

JW it's not a reboot. It's a sequel. A better comparison would be BvS $330m dom / $873m ww, since that's this Spider-Man's first appearance, but then we'd have to consider Captain America: Civil War, which is also a sequel but it has the first appearance of this new iteration of Spider-Man, and it doesn't feel right. The films I'm comparing with are BB, SR, THI, TASM and MoS. 

7 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

JW it's not a reboot. It's a sequel.

A sequel of which movie ? Jurassic Park 3 ? Didn't saw that one, so you could be right, but it felt like a reboot to me, I didn't had the impression to have missed much of the story because I had not seen JP3, same could be said for JP2 to it is in fact probably better for continuity to not consider them. Felt a lot like a reboot to me. That would be like not calling Ghostbuster a reboot just because the studio didn't want to use the word (while they were calling it a reboot internally)

Edited by Barnack

All that effort that MCU fans put to brag about Spidey's performance shows insecurity which proves that the run is far from astonishing.

It iss a good run but really nothing out of this world at all.

P.S. Why are we comparing it with guardians? Didn't the latter open far lower? 

Edited by FantasticBeasts
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, John Marston said:

SMH run is astonishing? In what universe?

its a good run and nothing more

If SM:H's run so far isn't astonishing and it's showing great legs after it's third weekend, then we have to say that GotG's run wasn't astonishing either. When it was, and when Homecoming's run so far it is. I sincerely think that Homecoming is showing VERY strong signs of great legs, especially when compared with GotG's third weekdays. $330m-$340m is a definite possibility AND it has a longshot at $360m. If WW did $358m dom like I was predicting it'd be insane. It crossed my best expectations, while Homecoming didn't. That's my fault for not considering all that it had going against it. And yet, it's rising above. 

As for right now, I think the best run to compare Homecoming is Guardians:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=marvel2014a.htm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=spiderman2017.htm

5 minutes ago, Barnack said:

A sequel of which movie ? Jurassic Park 3 ? Didn't saw that one, so you could be right, but it felt like a reboot to me, I didn't had the impression to have missed much of the story because I had not seen JP3, same could be said for JP2 to it is in fact probably better for continuity to not consider them. Felt a lot like a reboot to me.

It doesn't matter if it doesn't felt like a reboot to you. It is a sequel, even Dr. Ian Malcolm is coming back for the next film. And yes, you did miss a tad bit. JP/JW is a great franchise. Even JW3 is cool, even though it's the worst out of the bunch. 

Ghostbusters WAS a reboot, the previous cast were playing cameos that hadn't nothing to do with the previous films. JW is the JP a decade later. I'm old and cranky, JP's continuity obviously still counts to JW, unlike Ghostbusters reboot the the previous films. 

Edited by iJackSparrow

If Spider-Man homecomings run it's astonishing then what is Wonder Woman's run? I'd categorize Wonder Woman's run as astonishing. I don't think the word astonishing should just be thrown out for every movie.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 5