MCKillswitch123

WEEKEND THREAD | Weekend actuals (pg. 87 onward) - Dunkirk: 26.6M; The Emoji Movie: 24.5M; Girls Trip: 19.6M; Atomic Blonde: 18.2M; SM Homecoming: 13.2M; War For The POTA: 10.4M; Despicable Me 3: 7.4M; Valerian: 6.3M; Baby Driver: 3.9M; Wonder Woman: 3.3M

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

Can we talk about Sony's 2018 slate for a second? I'm wondering if anyone of them can get over $400M WW or will it be a repeat of 2016.

Their 2018 is gonna kick off with a big hit thanks to Cookie Monster (with Proud Mary) so they have that going for them.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

You read my post yesterday on another thread...I'm so excited:)...but I echoed pretty much everything you said:)...

And welcome to posting!:)

Oh haha well it's a good point to repeat. While I wouldn't call SMH's legs outstanding I do think it's recovered well after that 62% drop which put the question as to whether it was gonna reach $300M.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, grey ghost said:

1- You guys keep pointing put how weak SMH's performance is when it has the same legs of GotG2 and Logan. So, yeah. There's definitely some bias going on.

2- Kids love GotG2 and it got positive reviews. I'm not sure why the 6th Spider-man movie that followed the most hated Spider-man movie in history needed to make over 350 m or get Avengers legs to prove its a major success for Sony and Marvel Studios.

A Spider-man reboot soon after ASM2 was not locked to do 200+ m.

Ok, I take exception to this.

This is not another Spider-man reboot.  This had Iron Man plastered all over the marketing.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Their 2018 is gonna kick off with a big hit thanks to Cookie Monster (with Proud Mary) so they have that going for them.

Proud Mary will probably be their highest grosser of the year domestically :lol: 

11 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Can I wake up one morning and NOT have to read bullshit about funny book runs? You guys are actively making something I want to follow a pain in the ass to read with arguments about legs and the Raimi films. Talk about Dunkirk, the new releases, Girls Trip, Baby Driver, Valerian (even tho some of you think it's the antichrist), Apes, Detroit, hell, even DM3. How about that Big Sick hold of low-30s? There are other movies than SMH and WW out right now.

Speak about whatever you want and others will speak about whatever they want.

Not a hard concept to grasp.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

OMFG STOP THE GODDAMN SPIDER-MAN TALK OR I'M GONNA GO ON A FUCKING BREAKDOWN. JEEEEESUS.

Can we please celebrate Baby Driver nearing and sure to be reaching 100M soon instead?

This is how that conversation will flow...

Baby Driver => Edgar Wright => Ant-Man fiasco => Marvel => Spider-Man => good/meh/decent/great?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Spaghetti of 1000 Planets said:

Seriously, though, the Emoji Movie had a weirdly high multiplier for previews to opening day; it was far higher than Cars 3, IA5, Kubo, and pretty much all of the recent mid-summer family films.

I'd say it's skewing really young, but you brough up Ice Age in there. Maybe it was the curiosity factor?

1 minute ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Just curious, how Dunkrik drop is OK when it's dropping less than 50%. Isn't that supposed to be excellent in summer.

Yeah, it will hit 2x multi after 10 days. Outside summer when weekday gross shifts to weekends, a movie needs a 30% odd drop to hit 2x multi by 2nd weekend.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Proud Mary will probably be their highest grosser of the year domestically :lol: 

It might. But odds are I'm betting on SMTAM taking the crown.

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

I'd say it's skewing really young, but you brough up Ice Age in there. Maybe it was the curiosity factor?

I think it's because it's an original, animated franchise films like Cars and Ice Age have a fanbase OW.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Ok, I take exception to this.

This is not another Spider-man reboot.  This had Iron Man plastered all over the marketing.  

How much does a shitty ASM3 movie make with Iron Man crammed in there?

• Like 1

Kinda hope that Emoji's DOM total is smaller than that of Storks or Captain Underpants. I mean, c'mon universe, make that happen.

Also hoping that Annabelle II, which comes out 2 weeks from now, doesn't fall too behind from the original's OW and then it should have easily stronger legs, even though it's a sequel... apparently it's a fun and fast paced movie, contrary to the dull and boring original.