MCKillswitch123

WEEKEND THREAD | Weekend actuals (pg. 87 onward) - Dunkirk: 26.6M; The Emoji Movie: 24.5M; Girls Trip: 19.6M; Atomic Blonde: 18.2M; SM Homecoming: 13.2M; War For The POTA: 10.4M; Despicable Me 3: 7.4M; Valerian: 6.3M; Baby Driver: 3.9M; Wonder Woman: 3.3M

6 minutes ago, Kalderic said:

Also... anyone else surprised at the PTA for Detroit? I mean, sure it wasn't in 5 theaters, but given the critical reception, I was expecting more. Or am I just crazy? 19k PTA seems weak to me.

Detroit's PTA from 20 theaters is unsurprising given last minute decision to go limited a week before the advertised day of release. It has no bearing on how wide release will go. It'll probably outgross Dark Tower. 

Edited by Valonqar

8 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

Could you stop antagonizing and lumping "Raimi Fans" in a trash bag like they all hate on SMH, please?

I like both and what they accomplish in terms of characterization, thanks.

SMH is mostly trashed to elevate the Raimi films.

But I'll say "certain Raimi fans" if it makes you feel better.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 2

VAL's 2nd weekend could be less than it's OD, which is not uncommon for big openers (SM's 2nd weekend 44.2 vs OD of 50+; APES 2nd weekend of 20.9 vs OD of 22.1) but considering VAL started small, it's seems bad to do just ~6 in the 2nd weekend after OD of 6.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

SMH is mostly trashed to elevate the Raimi films.

Asessing SMH's run as "just ok but unspectacular" does not equal "trashing."

It's not all black or white.

Anyone can see how SMH is performing (you don't have to be a Raimi fan, a Wonder Woman fan, an MCU fan or a DCEU). 

I've been traveling for the last couple of weeks so I haven't posted much but what I've read around here really lowered my opinion of a couple of posters, shame.

Anyways this is a boring weekend, completely expected numbers after last weekend, including the amazing female-centric holds and all. Next weekend will be a completely expected disappointment as well.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, a2knet said:

Why can't 30 happen for EMOJI?

VAL jumped 25% from true Friday. Using 22.5% for EMOJI...

0.9 + 9.3 + 11.4 (+22.5%) + 8.4 (-26%) = 30

B/c no critic or predictor wants it to happen - I think the weekend is still way up for grabs b/c kid movies just don't fall off a cliff, especially when they are premier concepts...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

Like Batman, Spider-man is a mega franchise with multiple actors.

But he really shouldn't stay stagnant. I think putting him in high school again was a huge mistake, and pushed away some of his older audience.

WB kind of didn't know what to do with Batman for a long time, until he was reverted with the Nolan films, and reinvented again with the DCEU films.

You have to keep doing new things to keep up the interest.

Long Term putting Spider-Man in high school will be the best decision they could have made. Sony and Marvel have an actor they can use for 10+ years that can also become the new face of the MCU once RDJ's Iron Man is retired. 

Now that I'm thinking about it the decision to have an older Batman while short term may make for a more interesting take on the Batman story it also means fairly soon (ignoring all rumors of Affleck's imminent departure) WB is going to think about a succession plan. And will the general public be interested in an non-Bruce Wayne Batman? 

Interesting times ahead. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

If the RT score is to be believed, Emoji is going to have toxic WOM and drop hugely on SAT and every following weekend.

Not happening for Emoji (not this weekend anyway)...my local for Saturday at 8:30am...

2d - 111/125, 73/125, 17/125 sold, 18/125 sold for 219/500 (44% sold ALREADY)

3d - 17/125, 5/125 sold for 22/250 (9% sold already) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Lmao.

Nice spin.

I guess a reboot needs to make 388 m to be a success. :rock:

I think we should remind everyone next year of this "number for success" when all the supers open...b/c I think we'll have a bunch of failures then:)...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Long Term putting Spider-Man in high school will be the best decision they could have made. Sony and Marvel have an actor they can use for 10+ years that can also become the new face of the MCU once RDJ's Iron Man is retired. 

I think Marvel needs to wait until after the SMH sequel opens to truly decide which character will be the new "face" of the MCU post-RDJ. The sequel could do a TDK but it could also decrease, like the first sequel of every previous Spidey iteration.

18 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Asessing SMH's run as "just ok but unspectacular" does not equal "trashing."

It's not all black or white.

Anyone can see how SMH is performing (you don't have to be a Raimi fan, a Wonder Woman fan, an MCU fan or a DCEU). 

2.6 legs are fine.

You guys are acting like something is wrong with the legs.

Not every movie can break out like GotG or Wonder Woman. Especially the 6th movie of a franchise.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

Valerian is going to lose 1,500 theaters next weekend and That Other Guy is going to be pissed.
mXwfyhj.png

Yeah, Valerian and Apes are now the likeliest to get dropped at smaller theaters looking to fit in the new releases next weekend (Baby Driver and WW also being in the running if they are still there)...good for Spidey and DM3's continued legs...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cochofles said:

I think Marvel needs to wait until after the SMH sequel opens to truly decide which character will be the new "face" of the MCU post-RDJ. The sequel could do a TDK but it could also decrease, like the first sequel of every previous Spidey iteration.

True though they're giving him the best opportunity with SMH 2 being the first movie post-Avengers 4 with the aftermath of whatever madness happens in that film. Sony has been down this road with TASM series and we all saw what happened.

13 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Now that I'm thinking about it the decision to have an older Batman while short term may make for a more interesting take on the Batman story it also means fairly soon (ignoring all rumors of Affleck's imminent departure) WB is going to think about a succession plan. And will the general public be interested in an non-Bruce Wayne Batman? 

Interesting times ahead. 

You read my post yesterday on another thread...I'm so excited:)...but I echoed pretty much everything you said:)...

And welcome to posting!:)

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Every superhero movie, other than WW, got around 2.6 legs.

I'm not sure why people are attacking SMH.

And some got QUITE a bit less, from both studios last year:)...and some of those are even still considered successes:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

B/c no critic or predictor wants it to happen - I think the weekend is still way up for grabs b/c kid movies just don't fall off a cliff, especially when they are premier concepts...

Not be the bearer of doom since we know Cinemascore's don't mean shit, it had a B which is lower than most animated films and almost Norm of The North level (B-).

• Like 1