MCKillswitch123

WEEKEND THREAD | Weekend actuals (pg. 87 onward) - Dunkirk: 26.6M; The Emoji Movie: 24.5M; Girls Trip: 19.6M; Atomic Blonde: 18.2M; SM Homecoming: 13.2M; War For The POTA: 10.4M; Despicable Me 3: 7.4M; Valerian: 6.3M; Baby Driver: 3.9M; Wonder Woman: 3.3M

56 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

1) Pixar

2) Illumination

3) Almost everyone else

4) Sony Pictures Animation

:ph34r:

Quality rank:

1) Pixar

2) Laika

3) Ghibli

4) Disney Animation

5) Aardman

6) WAG

7) Sony Pictures Animation

8) other studios 

9) some garbage

10) layer of crap

11) layer of shit

12) Illumination  

Edited by KeepItU25071906
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

Considering only a decade ago, the studio was basically on its knees, they made a huge comeback in the last 7 years. 

They made a huge comeback but they were able to do so because of the really strong Disney brand name. To the GA, they are just Disney movies...not really a separate animation studio that competes with Pixar and the others.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Subzero said:

Hopefully it will hold better from here on end ..since nothing major is in store pretty much till year end.

SMH is beginning to show some pretty legs now.

Its doing TASM*2 numbers now and that did 21 mill more from this point out. And Homecoming is still having better and better legs were TASM went the other way..

Around 325 mill is a good target for now

Double what TASM3 would have done no doubt

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

1) Pixar

2) Laika

3) Ghibli

4) Disney Animation

5) Aardman

6) WAG

7) Sony Pictures Animation

8) other studios 

9) some garbage

10) layer of crap

11) layer of shit

12) Illumination  

Laika doesn't even have a $100 million domestic grosser when adjusted. How does it have more BO clout than say Illumination?

You could I guess argue Ghibli if your talking internationally but DOM that studio has zero BO clout.

• Like 1

Just now, Water Bottle said:

Laika doesn't even have a $100 million domestic grosser when adjusted. How does it have more BO clout than say Illumination?

You could I guess argue Ghibli if your talking internationally but DOM that studio has zero BO clout.

I think people are confusing box office clout with who is the best animation studio. I love Aardman but they've only had 1 domestic hit and that was Chicken Run. 

Time to rank animation: in terms of quality:

1.) Pixar

2.) Disney Animation

3.) Laika/Ghibli

4.) Aardman

5.) WAG

6.) Dreamworks Animation

7.) Blue Sky

8.) Paramount/Nickelodeon 

9.) Illumination 

10.) Sony Pictures Animation

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

You think Sony Animation has more BO clout than Illumination or even Dreamworks?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sony Animation doesn't even have a $200 million domestically movie even with inflation.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

You think I was ranking BO Clout based on the comment in the brackets (about Aardaman's quality etc)? :lol:

Just now, YourMother said:

Time to rank animation:

1.) Pixar

2.) Disney Animation

3.) Laika

4.) Aardman

5.) WAG

6.) Dreamworks Animation

7.) Blue Sky

9.) Illumination 

No Studio Ghibli? They're better than both Aardman and Laika IMO even though both have produced great work. 

• Like 1

By boxoffice

1. PIXAR
  2. WDAS
  3. ILLUMINATION

OTHERS

This list looks wrong. Currently illumination is killing it. Wdas recent movies are doing great too. But pixar had dory and next year incredibles 2. So, IMO their clout is stronger than others. WDAS has frozen 2 next year.

By my favouratism-

1. pixar
  2. ghibli
  3. wdas
  4. dreamworks
  • Like 2

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I think people are confusing box office clout with who is the best animation studio. I love Aardman but they've only had 1 domestic hit and that was Chicken Run. 

And I love Spirited Away but that doesn't mean Ghibli is suddenly gonna churn out $300 million movies in the US. :lol:

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, a2knet said:

You think I was ranking BO Clout based on the comment in the brackets (about Aardaman's quality etc)? :lol:

Then why did you quote me?

Just now, YourMother said:

1.) Pixar

2.) Disney Animation

3.) Laika

4.) Aardman

5.) WAG

6.) Dreamworks Animation

7.) Blue Sky

9.) Illumination 

In terms of worldwide box office on average:

Illumination 

Pixar

WDAS 

Blue Sky

DWA

WAG

SPA

• Like 2

Solid hold for Dunkirk. It definitely hasn't tapped into the zeitgeist the way Inception did seven years ago, so a drop around 44% is healthy for a film that was relatively frontloaded in its opening weekend. I hope it can leg it out to $200 million, but I wouldn't be surprised with a total closer to that of Interstellar's $188 million.

The Emoji Movie performed about in line with expectations. I would say that this performance is somewhat impressive in light of the ghastly reviews, but I hardly believe this film's target audience would be deterred by reviews (in fact, they may even have added to the gross with the small subset of viewers outside the target demo seeing it ironically).

Girls Trip had a great hold. It's clearly in for a very long, leggy run. It was probably always going to be successful, but I'll bet Universal is grateful for the fact that practically every other R-rated comedy this summer (and year, really) landed with a thud and left a massive opening for this film to reach audiences.

Atomic Blonde opened fairly well. With Focus Features distributing, expectations always seemed a little bullish to me. It pulled Focus's fourth biggest opening ever and their second biggest for a non-sequel (not gonna lie: I totally forgot that they distributed Insidious 3 and London Has Fallen), due in no small part to the striking ad campaign and Charlize Theron's recent success in action-oriented roles.

Spider-Man is stabilizing nicely. It will have no problem surpassing $300 million at this rate.

It's too bad that War for the Planet of the Apes had another rough drop this weekend. Even worst-case scenario, I didn't think there was any way it would fall under Rise's total, let alone the $150 million mark (in fact, it might barely even make it to 140). Even with the bleak tone taken into consideration, it's bizarre to see such a well-reviewed sequel bleed like a trashed one.

Despicable Me 3 is still holding up solidly and remains on track to surpass $250 million.

Valerian got hammered, as expected.

I love seeing Baby Driver and Wonder Woman continue to kick ass with their holds. They're really two cases Hollywood should take note of in terms of audiences showing up for risky quality films if marketed and positioned well.

The Big Sick held up pretty well considering how many theaters it lost.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

No Studio Ghibli? They're better than both Aardman and Laika IMO even though both have produced great work. 

I forgot about Ghibil. It'd probably have be tied in #3 or #4

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, YourMother said:

1.) Pixar

2.) Disney Animation

3.) Laika

4.) Aardman

5.) WAG

6.) Dreamworks Animation

7.) Blue Sky

9.) Illumination 

Don't you like ghibli? or you have not watched their films. I myself have only watched their 7 films but they were good enough to challenge pixar.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Don't you like ghibli? or you have not watched their films. I myself have only watched their 7 films but they were good enough to challenge pixar.

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

I forgot about Ghibil. It'd probably have be tied in #3 or #4

• Like 2

• Community Manager
3 minutes ago, YourMother said:

In terms of worldwide box office on average:

Illumination 

Pixar

WDAS 

Blue Sky

DWA

WAG

SPA

BO clout is IMO different than worldwide box office on average. Like I said, WDAS coasts on the broader general Disney brand name. But like Blue Sky? DWA? WAG? Even SPA? Just because you have a string of hits like DWA or Blue Sky or WAG has had doesn't mean it has BO clout IMO. Pixar and Illumination are known quantities. I don't think most people really know of Blue Sky or the others. I've never seen someone go "oh Blue Sky made a film, I have to go see this!"

• Like 2

Just now, Water Bottle said:

BO clout is IMO different than worldwide box office on average. Like I said, WDAS coasts on the broader general Disney brand name. But like Blue Sky? DWA? WAG? Even SPA? Just because you have a string of hits like DWA or Blue Sky or WAG has had doesn't mean it has BO clout IMO. Pixar and Illumination are known quantities. I don't think most people really know of Blue Sky or the others. I've never seen someone go "oh Blue Sky made a film, I have to go see this!"

Oh. You meant is in which has the most appeal, correct?

• Like 1